“Awesome Restaurant”

Restaurante La Caribena
Price range: US$5 - US$30
Description: The best caribean food in town. La Fortuna, Costa Rica. Best prices, best service.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I come from Brazil, I've been in more than 63 countries and rarely I found a gentle stuff that speaks 5 languages!
I had a Dorado fish and it was delicious, with 2 cocktails and came really quickly. I Definitely suggest it!
Prices are really fair comparing to others restaurants in Costa Rica. I left 10 dollars tips for Jose, an incredible waiter wich speaks 4 languages!

Another strawberry Daiquiri pleeeeease hahah

For sure I will come back during this vacation!!

Date of visit: April 2021
Write a reviewReviews (252)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had the Mahi Mahi Special with 3jumbo prawns ..We asked the waiter what is the price in the beginning-he said he'll ask...He never gave us an answer but we ordered anyway..It was pretty good...But...When the bill came it was(17500colones) 28 $ PER MEAL ...each just for a small piece of Mahi Mahi and 3 Prawns with salad and veggies- Utterly ridiculous...35000 colones for both minus drinks!!..We had an orange juice,smoothie and!2souvenirs for 2000 each on top- The end amount was 47300 colones- as they added a service fee on top of it all 4300 -and on the receipt was written "Tuna Special"...Over 70$ for 2 meals...Scammers....Definitley not worth it.

Date of visit: April 2021
Pedro Lee L, Propietario at Restaurante La Caribena, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

We feel very sorry and confused with your feedback, since the several times we asked you if everything was good and you said that our restaurant and food was your favourite at that time.

We take fully responsibility with the miscommunication on the price of the special dish of that day.
But like our waiter said was a special plate that we offered only that day and at that time.
You need to keep in count that FRESH shrimps and a premium Mahi Mahi fillet at 200 km from the ocean will never be cheap.
Beside that all our prices are completely competitive with the touristic restaurants that are near to us.
We served you with warm quality like to every customer that we have every day and we are sorry the bill at the end was not something you like.
Quality has a price.
And quality and excellence are our number ones priorities.
We regret enormously you dislike at the end of your lunch with us, we hope some day we can make you feel good again and have a different perspective of our prices.

Reviewed 31 March 2021

I had the mahi mahi special. It was iconic! We also received a classic Costa Rica shot on the house. Our waitress was delightful, too. 1 mile out of town, and an easy walk with mostly all sidewalks.

Reviewed 18 March 2021 via mobile

I have been two Costa Rica two times and eaten a boat load of Caribbean food. This place is as legit as it comes in terms of the flavors and preparation. The beans and rice with coconut with the chicken is awesome! We had the patacones for an appetizer with beans and they rocked as well. Do yourself a favor and hit this place up when you are in La Fortuna!

1  Thank GorbyG25
Pedro Lee L, Propietario at Restaurante La Caribena, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2021

Thanks for visiting us!

Reviewed 11 March 2021

Wish I could say I loved this resturant...just average and didn't get one of our choices of ginger beer but and ale
...OK but the server did not understand it was the wrong item...BUT can say the best Seafood Soup I have had so far in CR...wonderful...