“An old fashioned diner!”

Wright's Restaurant
Ranked #62 of 306 Restaurants in Tuscaloosa
Reviewed 20 April 2017

I have gotten the meat and three with lots of great and delicious choices. I have also ordered the made while you wait burgers and fries....WOW! I love to sit at the bar and watch their fry cook. He is talented! You owe it to yourself and go for breakfast of a Saturday morning!

Reviewed 16 April 2017

I had my first visit to Wright's recently and I must say that I am disappointed in myself for taking this long to go! They had probably the best butter beans that I have ever put into my mouth! Waitresses call you "honey" and if you go many times, they'll know your order before you sit down. Great good, great atmosphere.

Reviewed 2 April 2017

You know, when you rate restaurants, they have to be rated within the context of what the restaurant purports to be. A local place that makes the best cheeseburger in America should get an excellent rating for its cheeseburger. But it's not the same as a Creole restaurant that makes the absolute best crawfish etoufee in all of Louisiana. Or best prime steaks in America. You get the idea.

So that said, where is a restaurant in Tuscaloosa that does neighborhood breakfast just
about as well as can be done? That would be Wright's.

I know that Waysider gets a lot of attention. But, in my opinion, it is more because of historical sentiment then 2017 performance. Waysider is crowded, overrated, and overpriced. And the service is sketchy. But this review is not about why Waysider underperforms, but why Wright's is the real deal.

I have eaten at Wright's many times, both before tornado, and after at it's current location. It's a local, everyman kind of place that almost never disappoints. The smoked sausage is spicy, generous, meaty, and wonderful with grits. Yesterday morning the lovely Dr J had perfect over medium eggs with three strips of thick, crispy bacon, and a generous dollop of just right grits. The raisin toast was over buttered ("margarine'd"), but, where do you think you are?

My waffle and patty sausage was excellent. I didn't order it crisp, so it wasn't. But next time I will.

Did I mention value? Breakfast for two, as described above, $12 and change.

Coffee is endless, of course. The menu includes three kinds of sausage, ham, biscuits, gravy, pancakes, omelets, cheese toast, hash browns, honeybuns (!), etc, etc, etc. And most any combination you could conjure.

Wright's also serves a meat n three weekday lunch, as well as early dinner options. I've never been other than for breakfast, so I'll save comment on that for another day.

At breakfast, will you get eggs Benedict? No. Croissants and confiture? No. Mimosas? Silly rabbit. An unrushed, friendly, damn good Southern breakfast with service? Best in town, I think.

Reviewed 2 March 2017

This place is a favorite of my wife and I. We like to wake up late on a Saturday and come here for a late breakfast. Sometimes you will have to wait for a table but it's well worth the wait. The prices are great, the food is excellent, and the waitresses treat you like family.

Reviewed 5 October 2016 via mobile

I rate a 3 based on this visit and I was generous. I'm sure if I visited more and chose the right food items, it would rate higher. I had a hot dog and it was like none I've ever had before (may be an Alabama thing) grilled wiener that was a combination between a hot dog and cheap sausage. It was open faced slathered with chili con carne. I couldn't eat it. The hamburger steak had a good char and I thought now we're cooking, wrong! Dry with no flavor. Fries were frozen and nothing special. I'm sure a better choice would have been the daily meat and three menu or a sandwich.