All reviews st regis butler service century avenue spg platinum pvg airport top floor close to metro station across the river executive lounge business area excellent hotel the financial district buffet breakfast rooms are large non smoking room amenities taxi
Reviewed 14 February 2008

I stayed at the hotel in late January to attend an investment conference taking place at the nearby Shangri-La Hotel (which was double the price at the time because of the conference). I had stayed at the hotel before when it had opened 6-7 years ago, and had expected that it might have deteriorated since then - but nothing was further from the truth. The lobby was just as grand, the rooms were incredibly plush and comfortable, and the room had a very well designed desk and a comfortable chair for work, and with excellent lighting. Bathrooms also kept in top condition, with a very pleasant rain shower.

The service was also impeccable from top to bottom, and the lounge upstairs was worthy of rivalling any Starwood property.

In fact, since my stay in 2001, it had become a much more convenient location as the city had built up around the hotel, and in addition to the hotel restaurants, there is an excellent Shanghainese restaurant just outside the hotel's front door (to the left on the same street). Loads of cabs hang around now.

Pudong might not be everyone's cup of tea (it is still a little bit more planned and sterile than PuXi - Singapore to Hong Kong comparison west of the river, perhaps) but I thought the property itself is great. It's certainly easy to get to from the Pudong International Airport.

I will definitely come back.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Public_Dave
Reviewed 1 January 2008

I spent a week at the St. Regis. The staff, rooms, meals, all were first class. The staff at the St Regis is GREAT, they will make your stay a pleasure. I never had any concern for anything, from the car service to and from the airport to them adding a pillow top to my bed to make it softer.

The hotel is not in a shopping district or a night club area, if you want that then stay on the other side of the river in old Shanghai, but for a great relaxing stay after work, you can't beat this place.

One last thing, check out Malones American Cafe on the other side of town for a cold beer and a great burger too.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank chrislorl
Reviewed 20 November 2007

The St. Regis Shanghai outdid itself with service when we went there for three days to celebrate my daughter's birthday. Although I had booked a discount rate (3 nights with one night free, total price $558 including fees and taxes), we were treated like royalty. The room was luxurious with wonderful beds and the softest sheets. The spotless marble bathroom was huge with a soaking tub and rainforest shower. Our room was supplied with complimentary fresh fruit and drinking water at all times. All guests are invited to the executive lounge on the 40th floor for an elaborate breakfast spread, complete with brie. Drinks and desserts are served in the evening. There is free wireless access in the room, but if you don't want to carry your laptop, you can check your email in the executive lounge, and even borrow a book to read from the library. The pool was also a pleasure. For my daughter's birthday the hotel staff went all out: cookies and her favorite fruit (kiwi) on arrival with a birthday present, a darling panda stuffed animal. When we returned to the room that evening, they had delivered a dozen red roses and a cake that said happy birthday, complete with her name. The staff was helpful in every way, and the concierge accomodated my desire to travel by ferry, subway and foot as well as taxi by writing me little notes in Chinese to use all day long. We hated to leave such a wonderful hotel!

• Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank dyxiamen
Reviewed 22 September 2007

The St. Regis purely is marvellous. I've never stayed in a hotel like this and I'm sure it'll take a while until I will find a compareable hotel again.

I was working in Shanghai for 5 weeks and decided to call the St. Regis home for this time - not a bad decision. The staff's great, the service excellent and the rooms are really big. No matter what room, the bathroom is impressive and the rainforest shower simply one of the best ways to start your day.

We enjoyed breakfast in the Executive Lounge which is free for SPG, the area around the hotel is great as well. You don't have to eat in the hotel, there are better places around where you can get authentic chinese food, even if you don't speek the language. Here's a must: leave the lobby, turn right and walk through the tiny park until you hit the next street, turn right again and sit down at one of the food places on the street - it's delicious.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business
1  Thank FalcoWinschel
Reviewed 21 September 2007

Spent 2 nights here as part of a Viking River Cruise Tour. The room was great, the service was great, the food was great, altho the only meal we ate here was breakfast. The upstairs bar makes the best cosmo I've ever had (no I didn't have one for breakfast). All-in-all, I've have to say SR was just great!

• Stayed: September 2007