All reviews st regis butler service century avenue spg platinum pvg airport beautiful property top floor close to metro station across the river executive lounge business area excellent hotel water pressure the financial district buffet breakfast hotel is located rooms are large
Reviewed 20 November 2007

The St. Regis Shanghai outdid itself with service when we went there for three days to celebrate my daughter's birthday. Although I had booked a discount rate (3 nights with one night free, total price $558 including fees and taxes), we were treated like royalty. The room was luxurious with wonderful beds and the softest sheets. The spotless marble bathroom was huge with a soaking tub and rainforest shower. Our room was supplied with complimentary fresh fruit and drinking water at all times. All guests are invited to the executive lounge on the 40th floor for an elaborate breakfast spread, complete with brie. Drinks and desserts are served in the evening. There is free wireless access in the room, but if you don't want to carry your laptop, you can check your email in the executive lounge, and even borrow a book to read from the library. The pool was also a pleasure. For my daughter's birthday the hotel staff went all out: cookies and her favorite fruit (kiwi) on arrival with a birthday present, a darling panda stuffed animal. When we returned to the room that evening, they had delivered a dozen red roses and a cake that said happy birthday, complete with her name. The staff was helpful in every way, and the concierge accomodated my desire to travel by ferry, subway and foot as well as taxi by writing me little notes in Chinese to use all day long. We hated to leave such a wonderful hotel!

• Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank dyxiamen
Reviewed 22 September 2007

The St. Regis purely is marvellous. I've never stayed in a hotel like this and I'm sure it'll take a while until I will find a compareable hotel again.

I was working in Shanghai for 5 weeks and decided to call the St. Regis home for this time - not a bad decision. The staff's great, the service excellent and the rooms are really big. No matter what room, the bathroom is impressive and the rainforest shower simply one of the best ways to start your day.

We enjoyed breakfast in the Executive Lounge which is free for SPG, the area around the hotel is great as well. You don't have to eat in the hotel, there are better places around where you can get authentic chinese food, even if you don't speek the language. Here's a must: leave the lobby, turn right and walk through the tiny park until you hit the next street, turn right again and sit down at one of the food places on the street - it's delicious.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business
1  Thank FalcoWinschel
Reviewed 21 September 2007

Spent 2 nights here as part of a Viking River Cruise Tour. The room was great, the service was great, the food was great, altho the only meal we ate here was breakfast. The upstairs bar makes the best cosmo I've ever had (no I didn't have one for breakfast). All-in-all, I've have to say SR was just great!

• Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank Zoeycat
Reviewed 27 August 2007

I spent a week here on business and found the St Regis to be an oasis.
The room was beautiful and the bathroom was divine. The bed was very comfortable and I slept very well. The executive lounge access is limited to a higher level of booking though. It is a very intimate, quiet venue with a great view of the sunset.
I found the complimentary breakfast very nice. They have a great cup of coffee and feature dumplings, and Chinese food in addition to all the usual things westerners desire.
The exercise amenities are simply superb. They have a more than adequate selection of eliptical, tradmill, bike and rowing machines in addition to a full set of machines and free weights. Even more, men and women enjoy separate steam, sauna, and jacuzzi amenities. And then there is the beautiful pool. And also a rooftop tennis court. It just keeps going. If you need a place to live while in Shanghai, this is a good choice since it offers such a variety of amenities.
I found the Cantonese food in the on-site Chinese restaurant too bland and not surprisingly, overpriced. However, the Pudong area will demand a level of competency in Mandarin that might restrict you to the hotel venues. Once across the river, things are a bit easier for the language-challenged traveler.
Only one disappointment. . .
I received a "visit the 2nd floor gift shop for a free gift" card in my check-in package. Baloney! This is a scam based on selling reproductions of traditional art that requires buying a 300RMB silk mounting. Don't fall for it - Shanghai is full of art scams and it disappoints me that one is located in the St. Regis.
I really enjoyed this hotel. And while I have no other "St Regis experience" to measure against, I look forward to staying there again and recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
3  Thank pikeman666
Reviewed 17 May 2007

Having stayed in so many top-rank international hotels with hefty fees for everything, I found the St. Regis refreshing. From the start, we were welcomed, with our butler and bellboy showing us to our room. Although we were on a group tour, we were invited to the top-floor executive lounge, and given tea and hot hors d'oeuvres during happy hour at no charge. Internet terminals in the business center were a steep 90 yuan for half an hour - but both times I used them, they didn't charge. Even the laundry fees and the price of toothpaste in the lobby shop were quite reasonable. So we felt like the St Regis was really interested in taking care of us.

Our basic room was comfortable and good-sized with a large bathroom, and separate tub and rainforest shower.

As much as we liked the St. Regis, I wouldn't recommend it for tourists on their own, just because the Pudong location is far from anything of interest and not convenient to the metro. If you do stay there, and are a light sleeper, avoid the Dongfang Road side, where the views are nothing special and the incessant Shanghai honking is quite audible even on the 15th floor.

• Stayed: May 2007