“Gangster tour highly recommended” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Private Shanghai Gangster Tour
Ranked #9 of 105 Tours in Shanghai
More attraction details
Owner description: The only company to have won 2015 TripAdvisor Certificates Of Excellence in both Shanghai and Beijing, Newman Tours' native English speaking guides use iPads, and Chinese cultural activities to ensure your tour is informative and memorable. We have more than five years' experience leading historical and interactive tours in Beijing, Hangzhou, Suzhou, Nanjing, Xi'an, Tianjin, and of course Chengdu.
Kent
“Gangster tour highly recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

My girlfriend and I did the gangster tour with some other couples late last year and it was a real highlight of our short stay in Shanghi. I normally prefer to make my own way around a new city but given we were only there for two days we decided to book a tour. I was hoping it would offer something a bit different from the standard tourist fare, and I wasn't disappointed. The guide, Daniel Newman, was engaging and animated and really brought the stories to life. It felt very relaxed and completely different to the staid tour I'd imagined. I fully recommend booking one, even if you normally avoid this kind of thing - check the website, and you should get an idea!

Visited November 2011

Shanghai, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Simply amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

We went for the ghost tour with friends and family, although I'm leaving in Shanghai for a few month I truly enjoyed it, full of energy, funny, really well explained. From history of Shanghai threw local fears around Jing An temple, it has a really nice rhythm. Daniel has a perfect english (in a way of non native english speaker can totally understand). We're going on a private tour in Hangzhou in two days and I will for sure try to do all his public tour in Shanghai. This city looks full of hidden fascinating stories.
So if you're visiting, don't hesitate, if you live hear, you might learn some crazy stories about this not well known city full of ghost and passed gangsters.
I normally don't really like guide tour but today it changed !

Visited February 2012
Shanghai, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Newman Tours is a "must do" when in Shanghai.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

I've lived in Shanghai for about six years and found Newman Tours out of necessity to care for board members, and investors and their families on one of their visits to China. They are all CEOs and former CEOs. Daniel and his team blew them away with his passion and knowledge. He designed and delivered on an Antiques Tour for a couple which had that particular interest and request. Despite my guests' level, all of this was done at very affordable pricing.

Of course, before I let our board members take this tour, I had to "interview" Newman Tours first which I did on the French Concession. As I mentioned I've lived here for years, yet on that tour, I felt as if I was transplanted to some other country no less city, seeing the back alleys and learning about the buildings which are special, sometimes gated and not visible from the street.

Shanghai has relatively limited tourist "scene" other than those spots which are obvious. Newman Tours offers a great "menu" of tours which can really make a visit to this city special - at very reasonable prices. As well, Daniel Newman, the founder of Newman Tours, has helped a good friend of mine during her own CEO (and family's) visit to Beijing on a tour which he custom-developed for them and were very happy with.

Visited January 2012
Monterrey, Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent tour with good history background”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

The guide Christopher was a very knowledgable tour. He had all the history with him and he was able to explian modern China with the history of old China. I have a very good time and the tour time was excellent. I recommend them very much.

Visited February 2012
Paris, France
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Super fun memories”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

Went on the ghost tour and loved it, lots of captivating stories and spooky moments. Will try the other themes when back in Shanghai, heard they were as good. Definetely a fun way to visit this crazy city!

Visited May 2011