All reviews jing'an temple metro line pudong airport microwave amenities
Reviewed 27 April 2017

Some of the positive reviews here must have come from travelers who either had an unusually quiet room and quiet neighbors, or don't need more than 3-4 hours of sleep every night. Because what good is the location (which is this establishment's strong point) if you cannot get enough rest to be able to explore the city from that location.

I stayed here for two months a couple of years ago. So even though the review might seem a little outdated, it's still very applicable, as every building in China gets worse with time, not better. What I remember the most is that I changed rooms 3 times, solely due to noise issues. Take a look at the videos and photos and judge for yourself.

As others have mentioned, the room facilities are ok. A relatively comfortable bed, a sofa and coffee table, a dining table, a washing machine, a small kitchenette. Internet/wifi was ok for China, but the speed would drop hugely when accessing foreign sites (this is due to GFW throttling). Hot water in the shower was good enough, though the old bathroom fixtures need basically replacing. I can't comment on the heating/AC, as I stayed in October-November.

One letdown is the lack of a fitness center. There is a gym at the building next door, but when I checked they were charging rates as if they are the one and only gym in Shanghai.

Now for the negatives:
a) There were major renovations of rooms going on in at least 3-4 floors. If you happen to be within 2-3 floors up or down, you can forget about resting. Renovations in China start at 8 am or earlier sometimes and yes, even on weekends (see photo and video).
b) Noisy neighbors, I have to say, usually Chinese neighbors (see video).
c) Furniture design flaw, with chairs being constantly dragged on the wooden floor, resulting in annoying sounds to the people staying below (see photo and video).
d) Trucks picking up garbage from the building next door at 12-1 am (see photo and video).
e) General traffic noise from the busy street below, no matter what floor you're on (non-existent sound insulation).
f) A package from overseas was lost, even though I had given Skiline's office room number and telephone. When I saw how they deliver mail to the building, I wasn't surprised (see photo).

Obviously, and to be fair, these issues affect the entire building, not just Skiline. So no matter which operator you choose (there are 3-4 in this building), you're likely to encounter them.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 February 2016 via mobile

Checked this place out because the location was good and the price was right. In spite of requesting a non-smoking room, I was given one that reeked of smoke. Asked to change, but this was refused.

At night it was cold, and this was owing to the large single pane glass windows that were not adequately insulated. Also the heating system was inadequate as well. The shower has limited hot water, because this is a "tank system."

While this place may be ok for someone on a low-budget (willing to compromise), for the price charged, this is not a hostel and a certain level of service is expected. The only up-side was the washing machine. But with no dryer, you're going to have to stay several days to get your laundry dry.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 January 2016 via mobile

The self service hotel had everything you need! Washing machine also in the room.
Cleaned daily and to a good standard considering many other hotels I have stayed at in Shanghai.
The location is great, with a tube train just near by on west Nanjing road which also as a beautiful temple situated on it.
Directly outside the hotel there is a tranquil feel to the normal chaos. A small grassed area. A man selling meat kebabs from is mobile food stall and an excellent DVD shop.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank PaulT3892
Reviewed 3 October 2015

We were satisfied with our one week stay in this apartment. Don't be discourage when you enter the building and the room. This is not a trendy and new place. But you don't stay there for the building. You stay there for the great location, helpful and friendly staff. Room is spacious with fridge, stove, microwave, coffee maker and washer.
First night there was a problem. We could not sleep. The double bed and the sofa bed are so hard. By 2:30AM we put the mattress of the sofa bed on top of the double bed. It worked. Next day we asked for an extra comforter to add more cushion on the bed. We also folded the sofa bed and we got more space. From then on room worked perfectly fine. As days went by, we came to like the room more and more.
Great fast free WIFI in room, it has a water fountain cost 25 Yuan for a big container of water. Pots are old but you can bring cooked food in room or eat outside. Lots of eateries nearby. There are 4 restaurants in front of apartment, your landmark when you're looking for the entrance to the building when you first arrive.
Location is great. 5-10 minutes walk to metro and bus stops. Metro Line 2 from Airport to Jing'an Temple or to Pudong Airport. 15 minute walk to Airport bus terminal near Jing'an Temple ( bus #2 from and to Pudong Airport for 22 Yuan each way).
Entrance to apartment is at Yuyuan Branch Rd. (not Yuyuan Rd or Wulumuqi Rd(their St. address). Reception is on the 19th floor.
Lots of groceries and a supermarket nearby.
Evelyn and Weston are always there ready to help even with their limited English. We don't speak Chinese either. Cleaning crew are honest.
Price is very reasonable.
Check in and check out is fast no problem. They have 24 hour reception. There is security in the building.
I will stay again in Skiline apartment when I go back to Shanghai.

Room Tip: All rooms are on the higher level anyway so no problem with traffic noise
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tony O
Reviewed 8 September 2015

Let me make it clear I was pleased with Skiline and would stay again. However, just make sure you are not expecting a 4 star hotel. Also to find it, look at the pix here because the address is misleading--the address is 199 Wulumuqi Road, literally the same building has an entrance (for an office) on Wulumuqi but with a different #. To get to the 'hotel' you have to go to the side street called "Yuyuan Branch Road" (which is different Yuyuan Road).

The location is absolutely great, in one of the top tourist locations, 5-8" walk from MRT, and also convenient to the business sector in or nearby JingAn. The room is good sized, and as a service flat you have a fridge, etc. The downsides are: 1) the building is a Class C office building, so the elevators are somewhat dirty, the smell of cigarettes everywhere; 2) in my room at least, the toilet partially faced the sink vanity, so close that when I sat I had to sit on the toilet seat diagonally as otherwise I could not fit (I'm 180cm so it's not my height really); 3) there is no lobby / concierge / doorman etc.

That said, as long as you don't expect hotel services like the above, I think it's a great value, super convenient, and would stay again whenever I need to be in that location (I have relatives nearby). However, the other cheap option I often use in SHA is the FX hotel in Xujiahui. It's right next to an MRT station, and the Xujiahui neighborhood is also very interesting, lively, even if more 'local' and less touristy. The rooms are much smaller, but the overall hotel is more like a hotel, clean elevators etc, and the price about the same.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo