“Large spacious room, shame about the dirt...”

J. Real Residence Suites
Ranked #1,897 of 5,203 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 11 December 2014

I stayed here for 8 days while in Shanghai on a business trip, and found this place to be, well not too bad on the whole.

I found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

The room was large, separate lounge area, balcony (with a view over the 'atrium', resplendent with it's strange buff golden deer...) smallish but well equipped bathroom and large bed.

The room was pretty filthy however, dust and hair all over the floor, but the room had been cleaned, just not thoroughly. I did appreciate the complementary stale biscuit hidden behind the bedside table, bit like a baked goods treasure hunt. Not sure how long it had been there so I left it in peace.

2 things I enjoyed in the room which made it stand out.
Firstly the room had a kettle and a fridge. This was a life saver as, having experienced breakfast once, I vowed never again... It appeared to be situated in the hotel restaurant, although I would advise against consuming anything within a 50m radius. I was not put off by the 'local' cuisine, but rather the quality of it. Poor selection, a broken (and filthy) coffee machine, and as a new touch, live chickens outside the window, contemplating their fate. (I don't think they were pets.) After seeing the hotels culinary arrangements, I vowed to not order room service so cannot comment on that.

The second plus point was for the bathroom. Yes it was a little small, the shower leaked badly (had to cover the floor with towels to avoid a dangerously slippery floor) it had the mandatory glass wall (I don't mind this, lets lots of light in) but it had a small, but (once i'd fixed the plug) whirlpool bath and a 'smart toilet' with automatic washing technology...! Quite frankly these made up for the many shortcomings of this hotel. I now want a whirlpool bath and a 'smart toilet'!

The local area is interesting, plenty of 'massage' opportunities on offer, some small grocery shops and lots of restaurants. It's not an area that strike me as getting a huge number of western visitors, however it's a vibrant area to explore.

The location is also pretty handy for getting about, 10-20 minutes to get to north pudong, 20-30 minutes to get across the river to a variety of locations.

All in all, pretty average, with an equal number of good / bad points, resulting in an average review.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

I chose this hotel for me and my staff we were attending a show in Shanghai. I chose it because of the not bad reviews. Well what a disappointment. This hotel is FILTHY and DISGUSTING service non existing shower bad and moldy the carpet moldy couldn't sleep because of the noise and screaming outside of the room. The common areas very bad in all aspects the area of the hotel nothing to see.
My recommendation STAY AWAY! There better alternatives.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Our 4-person suite was very spacious, but the bathroom setup is not ideal as the shower is in a separate bedroom and also as a clear door. Odd. Pretty clean. Fitness center involves one treadmill and a weight machine awkwardly placed in the lobby. It worked for our group, 4 chill friends in our early 20's, but I wouldn't necessarily have my mom stay there. 8-10 min walk to metro station, 6 line. It's a solid value for what you're paying for, but I don't think we'd stay there again.
The staff was friendly enough, but English was a major issue. When I asked them to call a cab to take us to the Shanghai Railway Station, they misunderstood, and had the driver take us to the airport, which ended up costing us more than 100 yuan to go somewhere we didn't even want to go. This occurred even after I tried to double check with the concierge and make sure our driver knew where he was taking us. Again, they thought they understood me, or at least pretended to, but clearly did not. We wanted to be there an hour early, but instead we made our train by running onto it with about 3 minutes to spare...

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Amanda A
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We were a group of 3 friends and had a two floor suit there. It was quite nice and clean, but I have seen better in China. Anyway it was very good for the price ... Staff in the reception could not speak fluently English, but there was always one who could speak to a good extent (not always in the night shift). However staff was very friendly and helpful :-)

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 August 2012

the rooms are good and the staff is helpful, the corridors look a little worn out but the rooms are in good shape, the room i was in had a sitting area ,work desk, TV and a toilet on the lower level on the upper level there was a large king sized bed , a TV and a very large bathroom with a shower and a bath tub jacuzzi .there are a few small restaurants along the street which serve some good Chinese food.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business