See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 October 2016 via mobile

I was at Tongji guesthouse when I went to Shanghai for a conference at Tongji university. The guesthouse had all the needed amenities. It was OK. The staff was also OK. There is nothing special about this place. But during the time I visited Shanghai, it was raining and the environment through my window was nice. Also I really liked the neighbourhood. There were plenty of eating places, a nice coffee shop, a 24 hour family mart and numerous banks. Also it just a walking distance to the Tongji university.

If you are not fussy about luxury and are only in search of the basic needs, this is a decent and a convinent place to stay.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 September 2016

Stayed 2 weeks as we were here for business at Tongji University. The worse thing here is the cigarette smoke that came through into our room day and night ... maybe through the air con, not sure. On many occasions I saw men smoking in the lobby in plain view of reception staff and the 2 clear "No Smoking" signs. The apathy of the staff was evident in the restaurant as well. Dishes were left to go cold with containers left opened. The omelette station was only fried eggs made in bulk and left sitting; replaced with another lot when they were all gone. "Orange juice" was weak cordial. Coffee, although not bad, was lukewarm. Thanks goodness for the fried rice - combined with the coldish fried eggs and some coldish veg it was passable. Everything took a long time to be replaced. We were given a twin room, and were told there was no double available, so we requested a change when they had one. Never heard anything back from them at all. Beds are hard (this is usual in Chinese hotels), bathroom cramped, toiletries very low quality. Air con works, but takes all day to cool your room, and then it gets no cooler than around 21*, regardless of the setting. Cleaning is haphazard - for instance, most times the coffee cups were left uncleaned. Two small bottles of water supplied per day, some tea bags, and kettle. WiFi is very slow and constantly dropping out - made work very difficult. Overall - it may be a good price, but I will look elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 November 2015 via mobile

Cleanliness: 2/5
Cost: quite OK.
Location: quiet. Abt 5-10mins walk to Tongji University metro station.

Info:
Also known as Tongji Guesthouse.

Average accommodation. Room wasn't very clean. There were stains on the walls. The cabinets are not clean. Dated interior and not well maintained.

Wouldn't recommend for elderlies as there are no lifts to higher floors on most of their buildings. Have carry your luggage all the way up by yourself. I think there's lift only at the main building. So advisable to book rooms at the main building.

Breakfast was ok.

I stayed in a single room and I find it rather cramp. Toilet was definitely small though they replenish your toiletries daily.
There was a TV on a rack that is just over your legs when you sleep. I'm concerned that this might pose a danger though nothing happened during my one week stay. Just a point for info.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 June 2015

Typically you get what pay for but the Tong Ji Guesthouse better than you would expect for 35 RMB per night. Is it glamorous? No. Is it sparkling clean? No. Does it have wifi in the rooms? No, but it has ethernet in the rooms and wifi in the lobby. Are the beds super comfortable? No.

Does it have a good location? Yes, especially if you have business in the area. And the 10 line is very easy to access. Are there food options nearby? For sure. Is it affordable. Absolutely. Is it clean enough? In my experience, yes.

If you're on a budget I would recommend it.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 March 2015 via mobile

I was there for 2 weeks and I can't give a good note. Because the room was not clean. Unter the bed we can see a lot of things from another visitor. There are a lot of small and big cockroach and critters. I need to go a lot of time and ask to have internet because it doesn't work. The reception don't speak a good English or don't speak English so it was very complicated to talk together and they was antipatic.

• Stayed: February 2015