“Must try - Handmade Steamed Dumplings ”

Jia Jia Tang Bao(Huanghe Road)
Ranked #45 of 17,610 Restaurants in Shanghai
Price range: US$0 - US$8
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Neighbourhood: People’s Square
Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

Tiny tight shop where you get juice steamed “baos” (dumplings) - choice of mixed pork/crab or all crab meat filling. We ordered 2 baskets and their seaweed egg soup. Be prepared to wait in line - we ate the Yuan fried dumplings across as we queued. Otherwise avoid peak meal times. Excellent tucks in the cold winter!

1  Thank Bishan

Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

We went there because of the stunning reviews here at TripAdvisor. We waited for 50 minutes and would wait again :)
They also have an English menu.
At our next Shanghai visit we will come back, for sure!

Reviewed 11 December 2017

Great pork bao, juicy and tasty. Simple place, you line up, you order and pay, sit down and get served. No frills,but you get what you came for and leave happy.

Reviewed 9 December 2017

I had an amazing time at Jia Jia Tang Bao. I ordered the crab and pork dumplings, which were heavenly but had occasional bits of crab shell (that's the only reason this rating is a 4 and not 5; I wish 4.5 were an option!).

The real highlight of my visit, however, was being fortunate enough to share a table with some Chinese people who spoke exceptionally good English. They were visiting Shanghai from Beijing and informed me that they eat at Jia Jia Tang Bao every time they come to Shanghai. Meeting them and hearing about their life and business in China was incredibly interesting. I'll have to go back to Jia Jia Tang Bao to see if I get lucky enough to meet people like them again! If so, I'll have to revise my rating to a 5. ;)

Reviewed 8 December 2017 via mobile

This restaurant is very small and extremely crowded. Soup dumplings are freshly made and steamed on the sport, hence the long queue. However, service is extremely efficient and the table turnaround is very fast. Due to the constant queue there isn’t time for patrons eat leisurely. Most importantly the soup dumplings were excellent, especially the crab dumplings, which is a much try. There serve only 4 types of soup dumplings and be there early to avoid disappointment. There is always a queue, it’s a matter of how long is the wait, irrespective of time from the time this restaurant open for business in the morning.

1  Thank meaningremission