1,123 results
All reviews new wing arts village happy hour beqa island older part aqua trek shark dive the penthouse garden view room nadi airport pool bar lovo night egg station south pacific fish feeding tour desk viti levu
Reviewed 11 November 2012

The staff are the reason for this hotel getting some stars they make it so comfortable. I have never felt so welcome and safe in any hotel. The people in the township are exactly the same and would do anything for you. Particularly good staff members were Levi, Bena, Matt, Save and Mara always up for a chat and a joke. If any of you are reading this, thank you for everything. The food is very good especially the Kokoda and any of the fresh fish dishes. I have never had Mahi Mahi taste so good.
Now on to the more negative aspects, The room did not seem all that bad, although run down, until I went into the bathroom. It was mouldy and the shower head was on a bizarre angle. The towels were a pale shade of grey and rooms were often not cleaned quickly and we were left without towels. There was also a distinct lack of drinking water. A hotel should provide a water fountain in the main lobby or hallways especially in a hot country. I would expect this to be standard and it usually is in any other hotel or backpackers for that matter. Also, one of the nights we were there the water went off due to a problem at the plant. They could not help this however, most large hotel have back up tanks and generators to solve this problem and they should too. It rains enough in Fiji to be able to do this easily. I was also informed by other guests it went off twice the week before. The water outage happened around dinner time when people needed to shower after trips etc. They were told to take a dip in the pool! The management should have offered a free drink here to all guests as a courtesy I feel.
The gardens are very well kept and the pool is lovely and clean. There are masses of frogs which i really enjoyed and plenty to do during the day with the pool staff. We kayaked around the entry to the estuary and had our own private beach for the afternoon. Good trips are the fishing/spear fishing trip, rafting and diving with the sharks.
While we were visiting, the PNG president and dignitaries were there for their welcoming. This was a big deal for the hotel and it did upset some of the locals as they were kept away which seemed unfair. I hope they do go ahead with the plans and improve the hotel as it needs it and it will only aid Pacific Harbour.
This hotel has a lot of work to do to be 5 stars - cosmetically only and management attitude. The staff are great! Get the rooms up to scratch and we would surely visit again!

Room tip: Ocean view is a better choice.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bec C
Reviewed 5 November 2012

The trip to the resort is just over 2 1/2 hours so be prepared if travelling with toddlers! Staff are friendly but the rooms are very average and not child friendly at all. The hotel needs a make over and they only have 2 high chairs between the 2 restaurants which can make it very difficult at feeding time.
Good range of activities during the day but in the evening there is just a band playing every night.
The beach is nice and it is an actual beach with sand if you didn't want to take advantage of the pool.
There is a good little complex about 10 min walk up the road, with a supermarket, atm, bank, gift shops and a laundry.
Wouldn't go back again but a nice time was had.

Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank melissa s
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Even though there are a bunch of negative reviews of this hotel I still booked it as I couldnt find anything else 4 star or higher in the area. The hotel itself is fairly nice. The lobby, restaurants, pool area, etc... are all in good condition. However, the rooms are in desperate need of updating. Our second room (the first room was extremely untidy and broken lock on door) was okay, but there were stains here and there and pillow covers SMELLED like damp dog. It was gross. At night I'd get up to go to the bathroom, turn on the light and a few (on the smaller side, THANK GOD) cockroaches would scatter. For the price we payed (roughly US$160 per night) the room was a disappointment.
What made up for the awful room was the incredible staff. EVERYONE was friendly and accomodating. Whenever we had an issue or problem they were extremely helpful and tried to please the guests as best they could. Happy hour time was great, and I loved that they had free activities for the guests to participate in everyday.
Our main reason for staying in Pearl Harbor was to dive with the sharks (if you can dive then DO IT super amazing!!) but the hotel was able to set us up with other activities such as zip lining (also fun!) etc... We also took a day to just sit by the pool which is also very nice. I suggest a Funky Fijian at the swim up pool bar, oh so yum.
My friend and I also visited the spa and got a facial, massage which were fabulous! We also got the mani/pedi which I wasn't a fan of as it was more of just a quick cuticle cut and polish, no soaking of fingers or toes.
I also heard that the hotel had been recently sold to some coroporation in Papua New Guinea. I would think the new owners would do some renovating and updating and make this place spectacular. It would be nice to visit after updates to see the hotel at it's full potential.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank meribon
Reviewed 31 October 2012

I had read some mixed reviews about this hotel so wasn't quite sure what to expect. I had emailed the hotel in advance asking that they book transfers for us and a cot for our 16 month old daughter. I emailed the week before we were due to arrive to confirm these things but did not get a reply and so we had no transfers or cot. This sounds like a bug deal but we found a taxi easily enough and ended up taking our own travel cot so it didn't bother us.

From the moment we checked in we felt right at home - the staff were the loveliest I have ever encountered in any hotel we have stayed in. They all knew our daughter's name by the second day and were always keen to pick her up and give her a cuddle which she loved! I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this as I'd read that they love kids in Fiji but they were so nice and genuine that we were happy to let them do this. When we ate our dinner at night if she got a bit fed up due to tiredness the waitresses would happily come over and take her, walk around with her and generally cheer her up - a welcome 10 minute break to eat our food! They never took her out of our sight which was great. One night one waitress, Mela, pretty much sat down and fed her her whole meal!
The hotel did have an issue with water for 1 day (not their fault) and they gave us a baby bath and water to make sure we could give our daughter her nightly bath which was really thoughtful of them. They did things like make sure there was hand sanitiser in all of the toilets whilst the water was off and the second it came back on the staff were frantically cleaning the place - you couldn't ask them to do anything more in the circumstances.
We ate in the hotel each night and the food was brilliant - not overpriced at all and plenty of choice for a week's stay. The kids menu was also good - not everything came with chips like some places tend to do. There is one restaurant across the road from the hotel and the Arts and Cultural Centre down the road (10 minute walk) but I'm very pregnant so didn't fancy waddling anywhere in the dark.
The grounds are very well maintained and the pool and beach are lovely - our daughter had a great time exploring and there are plenty of activities to keep you entertained.
People have mentioned the beds, and they aren't the most comfortable in the world, and yes, some of the towels were perhaps a little old, but nothing is too much trouble for the staff if you ask them, and the place was spotless so we had very little cause for complaint.
If you want a week of relaxation then this place is ideal - the spa is fantastic and reasonably priced. I would recommend it for couples and people with small children. There is no kids club so perhaps if you travel with kids that are a little older than ours and like that sort of thing it might be worth finding another hotel.

Room tip: Top floor rooms have very small balconies so request a middle floor room.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank DBCMacclesfield
Reviewed 30 October 2012

We recently had a wedding in Denaru and decided to head to the Pearl afterwards for five days to relax. What a terrible disappointment! The whole place was run down, worn out, ripped and tattered cushions, stained, worn out deck chairs, the rooms were empty, the beds were absolutely TERRIBLE. I've never slept on a bed so bad! Literally woke up in terrible pad after one night! The towels were paper thin and felt like cardboard. This is all ok if you are paying for a three star place- however they were charging full price for a back packers experience.
The place has potential but needs some serious dollars put into it.
Staff were ok - nothing special. However it took over an hour to check out due to a lack
Of knowledge by the reception staff.
I certainly will not be returning to the pearl!

1  Thank Ding12