“A great Holiday” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mana Island
Port Macquarie, Australia
“A great Holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

I have been to Fiji 4 times and stayed at several different islands. We have chosen to re-book and return to Mana Island later this year.
We found the staff and kids club were very friendly and welcoming. The buffet had a lot of different choices, the snorkelling was amazing, the pools were great although we chose to swim in the crystal clear waters most days.
We stayed in an island bure with an outdoor shower which was very different. The island bures are only small although it is only to sleep in.
We found it a lot cheaper to walk a few minutes to the local village to buy soft drinks, snacks and lunches. Hair braiding and massages is also 1/3 of the price.
We look forward to returning this year.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank Jodie H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Morisset, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

We stayed at Mana Island last year in July. Two adults, two boys 14 and 10. Absolutely loved it. The staff are fantastic and the kids really loved it. They both preferred it to Bali and want to go back again this year.

Room Tip: We only had one room for the four of us. Next time we go anywhere on holidays would definately spend...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank Sharron W
South Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

We've all got different expectations and things that make us happy on holidays, and I think that accounts for the variance in how this resort is rated.

My family.....(husband, 6 and 8yr old, sister and partner, two teenage girls and her 10yr old) all stayed at Mana Island end of January 2012. My sister and I have travelled extensively around the world - including many Asian countries, and have experienced accomodation ranging from backpackers hostels with squat toilets (in our younger backpacking years) to top class resorts with all the creature comforts. When we travel for a relaxing beach holiday now with our family, number one priority is to be nearby a great beach - North Beach on Mana Island certainly delivered. It was lovely, white sand and plenty of long beach to find your own private space. The snorkelling was spectacular....wasn't expecting it to be better than the Great Barrier Reef! There is a huge drop off approx. 15 metres out from the shore, with loads of tropical fish. The coral is pristine and unspoilt (unlike a lot of Thailand coral which had been damaged by long boats coming into shore with tourists). Our children loved it and it was a highlight of their holiday.

The next thing on the list of course is clean, comfortable accomodation and good food. The Mana Resort delivered exceptionally here as well. We all stayed in Burres 503 and 504, just a few metres from the beach front at the end of the resort. The rooms were really spacious, clean, had new bathrooms and a lovely traditional feel about them. The resort was not manicured to the degree that The Warwick on Coral Coast was (stayed there for a week too - not half as good), but was well maintained and it felt lovely and natural - it's such a huge resort, walking across it to sunset beach, at times felt like you were in the middle of a tropical jungle.

When we were staying at The Mana Resort, there were a large group of Chinese people booked in also, as part of a tour. Not sure if this influenced the food quality...but our whole family agreed that it was fantastic. There were three vegetarians travelling in our group, and there was always plenty of choice for them too. Breakfast, lunch and tea at the buffet were an absolute delight. We all like to eat at high quality restaurants in Australia, and the resort totally exceeded our expectations. Loads of variety. Could not fault.

The staff were lovely and friendly. My daughter's cough that she had on leaving Australia worsened and I had to see the nurse a couple of times. She was very proffessional and helpful. I felt reassured that she was able to dispense antibiotics if she had worsened.

We did not note any mouldy smells....but it is a tropical island, and has a wet season....you can't not expect humidity to enter into resort buildings. Pools were fine! Kids loved them...nice cocktails at the pool bar. Kids had a session in the kids club....and later that night all the kids performed a traditional Fijian dance for the resort dressed in costume. Staff were lovely to them.

We all look forward to returning to Mana Resort...a perfect mix of natural beauty, laid back atmosphere, beautiful beach, food and comfortable accomodation. If you are looking for sanitised, westernised, 5 star stuff and get upset by tiny things like a ripped seat on a ute that may transport you and your luggage to your room... then Denarau Island is probably better for you.

Room Tip: Would not stay on South Beach...not half as nice as North Beach.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
20 Thank SueSouthAustralia
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

Having looked at the reviews of Mana before I left I was prepared that it might not be exactly what I hoped for. I was right, it was EVEN better than I could possibly have hoped for.

I just read a review saying the island was dirty, unhygienic and the food rubbish. Again, I disagree with this and feel that it really undervalues the resort. My partner and I were very lucky to be upgraded and had a wonderful Deluxe Ocean View Bure. The room was amazing and the view we had priceless. The staff I found to be very friendly and accommodating particularly when they found out we are British.

There is one tip I would give anyone staying at Mana. Book to eat in the la carte restaurant every night and at lunch too. I found the buffet is OK for what it is and breakfast but is no comparison to the view from the restaurant as the sun sets at night. Also, I found the staff to be a lot friendlier there too. I would also recommend that you pay for your meals in advance. Having seen the prices of meals in the restaurant, we got extremely good value going full board.

If you are going, have a good time like we did and I fully recommend scuba diving, it was amazing and the staff there excellent. If you are not that adventurous, the snorkelling is amazing and it is like being in a tropical fish tank.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
17 Thank Stephen C
melbourne
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

I want to start by saying I have traveled all over the world and Mana Island is BY FAR the WORST experience I have ever had in so many ways.
This is the first time that I have felt the need to write a review because people deserve to know the discusting state Mana Island is in. and if my review will stop even 1 person going to Mana I will be happy.

Heres my story,

My husband and I were booked to stay at Mana Island for 7 nights.
We ended up spending only 1 night there, after only a few hours on the Island we had had enough!
It was one of the worst places we have ever stayed at - and defiantly NOT 4 stars are they state!

We were immediately shocked at the condition of the Island, it was poorly maintain and looked nothing like the pictures.
The Reception area was dirty and the seats were wet and smelly.
We were given the key to our room with brief directions of how to get there, we were not assisted in anyway by any staff member.
Our room smelt of mould, it was weathered and dirty.
The shower was disgusting which left me feeling almost dirtier then before and the towel I used to dry myself smelt of mould.
There were stains on the sheets, mould and dirt on the couch, rubbish in the bin, and the outdoor chairs where rotten and chipped.

There was no bottled water provided in our room.
Apparently this is normal, but they advise in there information book that water must be boiled before you can drink it, yet they provide no kettle!

The Buffet Restaurant is DISGUSTING! YOU COULDN'T PAY ME TO EAT THAT CRAP!
Cold meats where out in the heat, everything looked like it had been sitting there for hours, nothing was fresh, it was filthy and would not pass OH&S.
Breakfast was even worse than dinner! There was nothing there, what was there was either not hot or needed to be cold and wasn't as it had been sitting there for god knows how long. NOTHING IS FRESH.
I ate a croissant and my partner had some bake beans (which were the only thing we saw come out in the time we were there)

There is little to NO LIGHTING along the pathways, which made it difficult to see which is very dangerous. The grounds seem like they are very rarely trimmed back/maintained and the ground is not often enough swept.

The pool was also disgusting and nothing like the pictures, the website is completely misleading. It is so run down and disgusting!
I wouldn't have even swam in that pool! The decking is rotten and there was no padding on the deck chairs, only wood! how are you suppose to lay on that!

This was our second time to Fiji, we went 4 years ago and stayed at Amunuca Resort and Spa which is a lower star rating and a lot cheaper.
We 'choose' to stay at Mana because it was a higher star rating and more expensive so we expected it to be better! What a joke! It was worse that a school camp in every way.

We lost a lot of money by leaving, flights transfers all down the drain plus we had to pay for another flight out of there! that's how bad it was!

We of course complained and in the time we were waiting we overheard 2 other couples who were also complaining! I think that this a a very common occurrence for Mana, even the Fijian staff confirmed this to us.

When we were to leave I called the porters but no one ever came.
NO SERVICE, NO ORGANISATION!

Mana Island is not 4 stars, it's unhygienic, dirty, not maintained, the foods is inedible and can only be describes as a bad school camp!

Take from me and the other bad reviews and book somewhere else in Fiji.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Bounty Island
7.2 km away
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
14.7 km away
#1 of 2 in Tokoriki Island
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,294 reviews
30.1 km away
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Mana Island Resort? Share your experiences!