All reviewsrooftop pooltrellis roombeautiful hotelpiano barnew towerwhispering archseparate tub and showerjoe cainvalet servicebeautiful lobbyhistoric buildingroyal streetclub levelcorner roomconvention centermardi grasview of the river
Reviewed 14 February 2018

Sadly, I can no longer recommend this hotel. A year ago, I stayed here, and it was great, worthy of a 5 star review. This year, it was disappointing. The lobby is still attractive. But, there are really 2 hotels here. One is the historic Battle House, built in the early 1900s. The other is the so-called Tower, which consists of 6 floors of rooms in a different building of new construction. The rooms are comparable, so I really wouldn't have minded walking down the long corridor to the separate building. But, the 6th floor room looked out onto Water St, a major roadway. Traffic was heavy late into the night, and the room was very noisy. I reserved my room over 6 months ago and was never given an option to request a room in the original hotel. Also, I stopped by the front desk around 11 am to let them know that I was in town. I didn't expect to check in that early, but my request for a room in the original hotel was dismissed without apology. The front desk clerk clearly had no interest in helping me. I never ask for special treatment because I'm a Marriott rewards member, but it's usually at least acknowledged. Not this time. This was all such a contrast to a year ago when the staff went out of their way to be helpful and assigned me the first available room in the original hotel. Yes, I know it was Mardi Gras. That's why I was there. But, I stayed the same weekend last year. So, I give the historic hotel a 4 and the new tower hotel a 2, for an average of 3. Next year, I'll stay at a different property. I do have to say that the beds were extremely comfortable. Had it not been for the street noise right outside the window, I would have slept well.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Sarah S, Front Office Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2018

Dear journeyn2now,

Thank you for choosing to celebrate Mardi Gras with us and for your feedback from your stay. I cannot apologize enough for the feeling of dismissal you felt from the Front Desk, we will certainly address that accordingly. We strive to make every guest experience memorable and enjoyable and apologize for falling short during your stay. We would love for you to consider staying with us again in the future. When you book your reservation, please give us a call and let us know that you prefer the historic side. Or, we do have several room types that guarantee you the historic side as well. You can always reach out to us at the hotel directly; we are more than happy to do everything in our power to ensure you have an extraordinary stay. We hope to see you again in the future and wish you all the best in the coming year.

Reviewed 12 February 2018 via mobile

The Battle House is one of those hotels that should be on ones bucket list. We have stayed there twice and both times the hotel exceeded our expectations.

In the heart of downtown Mobile close to a number of Fine restaurant.

Staff accommodating and very helpful.

We will visit again.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 February 2018

bathroom could use some attention. overall nice place but need to pay attention to the details. the soap rack was missing and some holes left in the shower. a couple of paint issues also. at that price I expected a little better. I would recommend staying there. very convenient to downtown

Room Tip: street view is best
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank O131VQthomash
Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

In an interest of educating our youngest daughter, we ventured to Mobile for the origins of Carnival and Mardi Gras. Considering we are currently studying American history, I was pleased to find a vacancy at the Battle House Hotel for our stay. The hotel has been well renovated with traditional styled rooms, large bathrooms and great views while conveniently located on a parade route and near ball locations. The staff is friendly and helpful, anxious to share about their city. Unfortunately, our only disappointment was the in-room dining was only average.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank AnnBertschin
Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

I recently stayed at The Battle House for 6 nights while I was in town for a conference.
The main foyer/reception is quite nice and there’s clearly a lot of history behind the hotel.
Other than the historical elements, the hotel is pretty average.
The room (I was in the newer tower) was ok, with rather cheap decor.
The windows did not keep the noise of the nearby railway line out, plus also made odd noises when the heat of the sunrise and sunset hit them.
House keeping did not come at all during my stay. I did have the do not disturb sign on for the first day, but not the remainder of my stay, which was rather annoying.
Also, prior to my stay I found it very hard to communicate with staff. No answer on twitter and rarely answering the phone.
I’m likely to come back to Mobile, but will probably try the other Renaissance hotel, or a completely different company.
I’ve stayed at a lot of Marriott group hotels in the past few years, and this was the least enjoyable stay for the reasons mentioned.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
SarahSavell, Front Office Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2018

Dear jamiereid12,

Thank you very much for your feedback concerning your recent stay. We pride ourselves on providing a memorable guest experience and have, unfortunately, fallen short during your recent stay. I have shared your feedback with our Housekeeping and Front Office Teams so that we can ensure this type of experience is not repeated. Please reach out to me if you would like to stay with us again and I will personally ensure you have a wonderful experience.