“Christmas nightmare ”

Grand City Hotel
Grand City Hotel
Ranked #60 of 169 Hotels in Melaka
Reviewed 26 December 2016 via mobile

We purchase the room though Expedia , superior king , window required, non smoking.
Due to heavy traffic from Singapore to melaka, we reached the hotel around 10 pm and it took us 25 min to check in as there was some miss communication between Expedia and the Hotel.
The staff managed to get a room for us but very surprised that the room turn out to be very different of what I had purchased. Queen size bed , no windows, noisy, small toilet which unable to fit myself and my husband.
I went down to the hotel receipton and they promised to change my room by tomorrow as I brought 2 night stay.
They have recorded our car plate for so call safety reasons.
To cut it short, they did apologise and change my room in the next morning after I complain to Expedia.
Another nightmare at the last night , no parking slot are available at the hotel. The staff instructed us to park another side of open space car park without CCTV, no guard, dim light with enclosed gate.
We check out the hotel at 10am and found one idiot parking at the entrance of the gate . Again, have to walk back and ask the staff to look for idiot drivers.
Conclusion, do not visit during peak season and park your car at your own risk!
Strength about this hotel, price is good, clean room, good location for food.
Weaknesse for you to comment as I will not come back again.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank angelineo222

Reviewed 24 December 2016 via mobile

We book a 2 nights stay via expedia in this hotel. Friendly staff but the check in was a little long as rooms are fully book thru the hotel reception from our understanding but still they have to cough out a room for us as we have already paid. Fortunately , she managed to squeeze 1 room for us . Those who came later then us and book via other "online booking " centre was turn down because they didn't pay first and reserve doesn't confirm they will get a room especially festive season. So we check in the room, bed and toilet is clean and new Aircon and water heater and TV with few international channels
as well. Only setback was no Windows in the room and we tell the hotel reception that our initial booking was Superior King room. We slept for a night and the next morning we get a swoop to the superior king room. Pretty much the same except the toilet has a bigger space and king size bed with window view at last. Overall house keeping was good , hotel location is far from city unless you have transportation.And it has car parks for hotel guest . Across the road is the famous tan Kim hock malacca local produce food stuff. And directly across the hotel there is a macik stall selling nasi lemak and other Malay food. The food is tasty and not expensive , recommeded to give a try for breakfast. Love the sambal mix with nasi lemak was good to give a "Shiok" ah...

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2016 via mobile

We booked our rooms via Agoda at $30/nt for 3 pax. When we arrived at the hotel, the Male front desk and housekeeping readily attended to our needs. Our stay was only for 2 nights at room 313. The wi-fi is good. They also provide clean towels, bottled waters, electric kettle, coffee, and tea. There are also water refilling stations per floor and they are all free. The rooms are very clean. Thumbs up for the house keeping. The Jonker road is 10 mins away via car/taxi or 25 mins if walking. The Melaka sentral terminal is 13 mins away via taxi. For the walk-in room rates, please see the attached photo. I would recommend this hotel for travellers!

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Trixie V
Reviewed 18 September 2016

It's clean, and comfortable to stay. Staff (reception) are friendly, wifi signal is strong, venue is quiet, about 3-4km away from Jonker Street but not an issue to traveler who drive, the stay totally worth for the money i paid.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 June 2016 via mobile

I'll start with the major downside of this place, it's unfortunately not in a great location. Walking down to the old part of town takes a good 25 minutes at least, maybe even a bit longer. I didn't mind the location because it's close to Bernie's Pub which I would have never visited if I was staying closer to Jonker street. It's pretty close to the main mall with a movie theatre (a god send during the hottest parts of the day) so in the end not really a terrible location, all the more so because it's nice and quiet.

The positives:

Very comfortable bed and pillows.

Nice big window

Excellent shower pressure (though I'd suggest turning up the temp a bit to allow for shaving, had to boil water)

Complimentary water and better yet, a water dispenser in the hallway serving both cold and hot water.

Quick and efficient service.

Overall, I had a great stay.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo