1,812 results
All reviews club room equator club premier room day bed rest house jonker street within walking distance shopping mall nonya restaurant swimming pool high floor coffee house dataran pahlawan breakfast spread service staff connecting rooms no lift
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was visiting Malacca as part of a longer stay in Malaysia and was accompanied by a friend whose birthplace it was. We chose the older Equatorial Hotel because we felt it would suit us more than a more modern establishment. Our expectations were met. Our room had a view of the straits at a distance and other hotels and malls close by. Since our room was on a higher floor we towered over them. The balcony gave a wonderful birds eye view of these locations and the street below. Those with vertigo should exercise caution. The room itself was comfortable and clean; however, the procedure to access channels on the TV was not the easiest and on our last morning the TV did not work at all. Also, the bathtub seemed rather old and we stepped on it rather gingerly because we were afraid it would collapse in certain sections!

The people at reception and the bell boys were kind, accommodating and courteous especially on the day we checked in a little earlier than anticipated. They are more than willing to help guests who have difficulty in accessing WiFi from some phones.

The breakfast was plentiful and very good. On the first day though the staff in the dining area did not seem capable of handling the numbers. Replenishing of milk (for coffee) and croissants was rather tardy. Still the quality of the food (Indian, Chinese, Malaysian, Western etc) was of a high order. Overall, a very comfortable stay

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank KandyWally
Hotel_Equatorial_Mel, General Manager at Hotel Equatorial Melaka, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and sharing your experiences on our hotel's facilities and services during your recent stay. I am pleased that your recent stay experience met with your satisfaction albeit the slight shortfall.

I have shared your comments with our F&B who has taken immediate steps by conducting re-training on all areas concerned.

Thank you once again for your kind feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Equatorial Melaka.

Reviewed 11 October 2018

We stayed from 06 Oct till 08 Oct.
We deliberately chose this hotel for it's convenient location.
But the main reason was that we wanted to try out another hotel, after our "insecure" experience at other supposedly more established and newer hotel.

The hotel, although not a new hotel, was classy in it's own unique way.
The check-in was cheerfully done by Mr Tomo.

My check-in was smooth. My records were ready for processing.
From the 5th floor to the allocated room, there was a "mango aroma", quite refreshing for my mind, especially after a 3-hour coach ride from Larkin, Johore to Melaka Sentral.
Upon opening up the room (Room# 0508), we detected a "burnt smell".
When I reported to the Front Desk, they decisively informed me that,
* they will allocate another room to us
* they will upgrade our room to one at the 15th floor
* their staff will "send the room key" up to where we are

The concierge came by to the hand us the key and bring our luggage to the re-assigned room on the 15th floor.(Room# 1514).
The corridors were similarly "mango-refreshed".

Breakfast on Sunday morning 07 Oct at the cafe was a "hive of activity".
Consistently "full-house" due to the weekend crowd.
All staff were more than fully occupied just to serve the guests.
I noticed 2 black/dark-blue suited staff monitoring the cafe & occasionally communicating.
They would ask a guest, if the guest needed help with anything.
One of the (upon learning that one guest was waiting for the prawn noodle station for the chef to return), cooked the noodles.
They would also step in to clear the table, prepare the table with plates/serviettes/etc for the next guest.

Later I checked with the person at the entrance & learned that the black suited are the most senior, followed by the grey/green suited,

I was impressed with the teamwork/"no airs" attitude of the senior staff who worked alongside the junior staff, to ensure the guests' breakfast experience was a positive one.

The room was comfortable, the sheets were clean (nowadays, we are beginning to see unchanged bed sheets in some hotels), etc.

I also needed 2 safety pins on an urgent basis, as we planned to leave the hotel at 1030am for a 11am function.
The Reception, got their Housekeeping colleagues to source for them.

On a rating of 1 to 5 (where 5 is the best), I would have readily given a 5+ rating for this hotel, if the following was addressed,
*1: Two electrical sockets were not working (1 under the writing table, 1 by the bedside, next to the table lamp.
*2 The wash basin in the toilet could not drain water off as the mechanism was faulty
*3 Some corners alongside walls along the corridor were chipped (but this is minor, in my view)

If #1 and #2 are taken care off, our stay would have been perfect.

The above 2 shortcomings are what I call "hardware".
The service in the hotel is the "software".
It is easy to deal with/manage the "hardware", just need to "throw money" (not a lot) at it. A real "no-brainer".
It is very very challenging to 1stly have the right "software" & have it installed properly & to maintain this "software".

In my view Hotel Equatorial has got their "software" right.
If Hotel Equatorial were "look after it's "hardware" (which is easy-peasy), continued & new business will be the commonplace.

Upon checking out, I learned that Hotel Equatorial was owned by a "government agency", PNB which I take it to mean Permodalan Nasional Berhad.
I must say that the management and relevant systems in place was more than I had expected in a "government-owned" property.
While I do not mean anything negative, it would be common to expect the business models, systems & procedures in a government agency to not be as "commercial-minded" as one would prefer.

For a short while, I had to "occupy" 1 of their staff in a "non-Front Desk transaction" full-time reducing their 3-person strength to 2.
I had found a young boy all alone in a lift on the 15th floor.
I brought the boy down and "handed him over" to the staff @ Front Desk.
She had to coax and calm the young boy till the mother appeared frantically to claim her son.
During that time her 2 colleagues worked in "overdrive" mode.
No issues.

We will come back to stay at Hotel Equatorial again.

Appreciate very much if the management can take action on the items highlighted above. Simple matters that can be easily managed.

Hotel Equatorial has many factors working in it's favour. No doubt about that.

Syabas .. Keep It Up :)

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I have shared your comments with the relevant Department Heads who has taken immediate steps to correct and improve where we have fallen short.

Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

Recently visited Melaka with extended family for the weekend. Must say Equatorial provides one of the best hotel hospitality in my travel history.

An avid holiday traveller in SE Asia, I have stayed in international chain hotels and local owned ones, Equatorial is truly consistent in upholding their service standards across all facility. From reception, concierge, housekeeping to electrician and f&b, the Mgt must be doing something right to keep staff happy in providing guests such wonderful service. All the staff in those depts mentioned were really excellent in ensuring a comfortable and enjoyable stay.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

I am glad that you have enjoyed your visit to Malacca. We are indeed encourage by your review and will continue to strive our best in providing excellent service to all our guests.

Reviewed 2 October 2018

Our room was great with a lovely view down towards the coastline. The staff were very friendly.
We did however find it a bit tired and the pool area was disappointing...it could have been much cleaner...it needed a bit of love and care. The pool itself was lovely but the paving could have done with a good scrub. We could only find 2 padded mattresses for the sun beds even though we had a good hunt around. There was no-one to ask. Other than that no real complaints.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled with friends
Hotel_Equatorial_Mel, General Manager at Hotel Equatorial Melaka, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2018

Dear Guest,

I have shared your comments with our Equinox Manager on the condition of the pool who will carry out the cleaning exercise more frequently especially during the rainy seasons to maintain the cleanliness of the pool and its’ surrounding.

I thank you again for your review and as mentioned, I take every guest’s feedback seriously with the intention of correcting and improving where we have fallen short.

Once again, thank you for your kind feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Equatorial Melaka.

Reviewed 2 October 2018

This is an old hotel with the same old-outdated decor which clearly shown on its external facade building and its internal area. It seems that it still remain the same as back in ten or fifteen years ago, or more.
However it's strategically located, literally next to 'Dataran Pahlawan' mall, and within short distance to the nearby tourist spot and 'Jonker Street'.
The lobby projects the 90's decor atmosphere with lots of wooden fixtures, and covered in dim lightings with faded, dull and chipped marble flooring.
Check-in was quick, and welcome drinks were offered to guests.
Prior entering the guestroom, you will notice that the corridor walkway is quite wide and spacious though, and the carpet was considerably new and clean. The fresh and nice fragrance will get you in the mood.

Upon opening the door room, you realised that you were back in time, at least fifteen years ago. It's a 5-star hotel room with outdated and kind-of-retro interior decor. The room was quite spacious though for 2 persons.
Lots of unattractive wooden fixtures and furnitures which are obsolete, as paint was peeling off. The seating cushions were in dark and dull colours.
Its King sized bed in Deluxe King room was clean and comfortable, but its bed side lamps were really antique -- in retro decor, and they were sort of dusty.
All basic room amenities were provided.
I was amazed to find its 20-year-old in-room Safety Box which was still in good condition and was functioning well.
The wardrobe was big enough but it's only limited clothes hangers, as only six units were provided. Iron & iron board, and a handy torchlight were easily accessible.
Bathrobe was only delivered upon request.
The balcony provides you a relaxing feel and great view, but those surrounding external plants were poorly maintained and dull looking.

Its bathroom was spacious, but again in old decor but it's clean. The bathtub is okay with its retro rectangular shape, combined with its standing shower. Only a simple attached shower hose, and there's no fixed above-the-head big shower head. Hence you will find a-not-quite comfy shower experience.
The toiletries selection were low graded as for a so called 5-star hotel.
Having said that, the overall cleanliness of the room was satisfactory, and its strong but silent air-conditioner, together with the room's good sound-proof system will ensure you have a good sleep.

As I was staying during the long weekends plus a local Public Holiday, the hotel's coffee house couldn't accommodate the high traffic of guest at the same time, whereby the restaurant's seating area are limited during full house occupancy. Guests needed to queue in order to get a seat to have their breakfast.

Its swimming pool was quite big, but again it's an old design. I found that the cleanliness around the pool area was not up to par, and it's poorly maintained.
What worried me was there were two underwater lights' fittings were loose and detached, one was lying on top of the pool side, and the other one was physically floating on the water at one corner. It was crowded at that time.
Not even a staff noticed those safety hazards?!
This prevented me from spending longer time in the pool.

Overall this old hotel is quite okay with reasonable price for a 5-star category, but it really needs some serious refurbishment to upgrade its entire products. Service was alright, but as always consistency and more attentiveness should be delivered even though the hotel is fully occupied.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floor offer better view.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andy L

Dear Guest,

I am pleased to inform that we are embarking on a total upgrading for the entire hotel which will include the piping system, rooms and hotel landscape.
I have shared your comments with the Food and Beverage Manager with regards to the limited seats at the Coffee House during the high occupancy periods and will look into opening alternative venues in the future.

I have also spoken to our Chief Engineer to conduct immediate checks at the pool area to ensure all underwater lights and fittings are properly in-tact to avoid any mishaps.