US$58
  • Breakfast included
Casa del Rio Melaka(Melaka)
US$187
US$140
Agoda.com
US$48
US$43
US$74
US$63
Casa Blanca Guest House(Melaka)(Great Value!)
US$12
US$11
Trip.com
US$52
US$35
US$57
US$38
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$43/night.

• Pool
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe riverperfect locationmajor attractionsfew minutes walkguesthouseguestsmalaysia
Reviewed 26 August 2016 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay at River View Guest House, but some of that is just how much we enjoyed Melaka. The town is wonderfully charming with a great weekend night market, cool colonial architecture, a relaxing river walk, and hilarious light-up trishaws. We cannot recommend visiting this town enough if you are in peninsular Malaysia.

Now to the guest house itself. The guesthouse is located in a "charming old" or "rundown" building depending on one's perspective. On the negative side we could never get the showers hot and the atmosphere of the place was a little vacant. However, we also had no complaints about our stay. The view from the common space balcony is great and the interactions we had with the staff were pleasant. The security seemed good to us, with a keycard lock on the front door. In summation the price and location are very good if you don't mind the old building and the quiet.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2016

Positive: On the river and close to the walking path, decently located on a quiet street but still walkable to major attractions, kind staff.

Negative: Chipping paint and stains all over the walls, disorganized, kind but unhelpful and non-local staff (knowledge of area wasn't very good), cramped shower/toilet situation, and no complementary breakfast.

Clearly, this place has already seen it’s best days. It badly needs some repainting and updating overall. In our private room, the walls were covered in stains and chipping paint. Very unappealing.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rebecca K
Reviewed 1 August 2016

located in an old-style Nyonya home, this is a great hostel for seeing Melaka's historical architecture. the hostel itself and the bathrooms were clean. However, the hostel is not very well-staffed. There is one housekeeper who only speaks Malay and the owners hire other backpackers to staff the front desk, so they aren't the most knowledgeable about the area. Also, the power went out the morning I was supposed to leave and was not fixed until a few hours later. Despite that, I had a great time at River View Guesthouse and I would probably stay there again

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Veronica H
Reviewed 3 July 2016 via mobile

situated in chinatown i spent one nightvi didnt book before i went there withvan italian who i met in the bus who booked there the guesthouse was cheap wifi nice common area convinient to meet people and share trip storied and experiences wood made i recomand

Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 May 2016 via mobile

It's a long one but please read..The Lonely Planet is out of date! I laugh when I read it's a top choice. This place might of been awarded by Trip Advisor but it was about 4 years ago, I'm convinced that they think because they won this award and that they are a top choice in the Lonely Planet they don't have to do anything and that people will just come to them. I had mentioned a few things but whether they will fall on deaf ears is another.

Room wasn't clean- We arrived at 10am and needed to wait right up until 2pm to check into our room, when we entered the bedroom floor was covered in hair!! No exaggeration there was hair everywhere. I had spoken to the cleaner who came in with a broom to sweep but I felt we weren't getting anywhere so I took a dust pan and brush from the kitchen and did it myself.

Bed bug bites- After our first night we woke up and both were covered in bites. Still suffering now.

No hot water- Not once did we have a hot shower, it was cold even when the hot water light lit up still nothing. We were advised to use a certain shower upstairs, my partner managed to get a little bit of warm water but very quickly it turned cold again.

No Wifi- It just doesn't work and we tried it everywhere.

Not safe - Take your valuables with you! I can't stress this enough... We stayed in room no2 which is on the ground floor and backs onto an alleyway. When we arrived our bedroom window was open which we closed as the air con was on plus we had thought in terms of safety it's best to do this. We went out for the rest of the afternoon and returned back about 11pm. We sat in our room on the bed and relaxed for a while, my partner was watching a film on his iPad with his earphones in and I was also. I was ready to go to bed so took my earphones out and had got up to turn the light off as I had got up I had thought to myself blimey its noisy ( I could hear road noise) sounds like the window is open?!. As I walked over and opened the curtains to my horror a man was stood outside staring at me with our window open and his hand was through. I screamed and shut the curtains screaming out that a man outside, my partner jumped up and shouted at him which he then ran off. The windows are old and I think thieves know this and know they can open them up. Luckily there are bars on the window so they couldn't get in but we were freaked. The bit I couldn't get over is that there is no night manager there on site, in fact there are never any staff there they are in the cafe which is a few doors up the road but by this time it was closed. From all of the commotion someone in a dorm had heard and advised we should call the manager which we did. He said there is nothing we can do just make sure you window is closed. The next day we had spoken to a member of staff who had said thieves will try and see if there are any valuables on the window sill. Nothing was taken but I wouldn't leave anything of any value in your room as.....
That morning after our fiasco (baring in mind we have a private room with our own key) we were in our room, our door was locked. We heard the lock go on our door I stood there and watched the door handle move and thought to myself 'surely not' a guy had walked right into our bedroom with a key?! He was horrified as so were we, he was a builder doing work on site. Thats fair enough but we weren't once notified that someone would be entering our room because if you were out then it at least gives you a chance to take your valuables with you.
I found it hilarious after speaking to another traveller that in the dorms the locker key works for all of the lockers, so what's the point in having them!
3 other travellers also left this guesthouse early and booked somewhere else due to issues that they had.

I was really angry when I left this guesthouse, I hate moaning and always like to say something positive but I'm sorry there isn't one thing positive I can say.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple