“Darn Good BBQ Chicken”

Old Greenbrier Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 186 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 16 May 2017

This place is an area landmark and very family friendly. I took my wife and one of my sons there on Mother's Day. The place was busy (as usual), but didn't have to wait at all. My wife and I had the small dark meat BBQ chicken plate, while my son had the large (3 piece) catfish fillet.

The BBQ chicken is not overly smoked so you can taste the best of both worlds. The deep fried catfish fillets are better than 10 inches long. There's a never ending supply of hot and fresh hush puppies regardless of what you order that are supplied at the time your drink is served. The accompanying coleslaw with your entree is a very simple finely chopped vinegar-style serving. We chose the baked potato whereas my son ate fries. We were too full to check out the desserts.

The place has a simple down home atmosphere that is well known by the locals and has been around for over 50 years. Good place for friends and family. Be sure to check your weight on the the old Toledo scale before you leave!

Reviewed 20 April 2017

Great catfish restaurant. They have other stuff too, but catfish, oyster, and fired shrimp combo was what I got. All excellent, but in my case, the catfish was the top of the trio. Great service. Kind of an out of the way place... but worth the drive to the outskirsts of the city....

Reviewed 12 April 2017

A dining experience back in time. Friendly people, cool environment and killer hushpuppies. Do not miss the photos on the wall.

Reviewed 11 April 2017

It is a great place to go for a good but cheap lunch. Place is busy I have never had to wait for a table. Service is good and food arrives promptly.

Reviewed 8 April 2017

For us locals this is THE place. For any events or just going out to eat as a family this is THE place. They have the best hush puppies and will give you as many as you can eat. You dont even have to ask since they just come by your table once your baskets get low and refill them. You will get full on hush puppies if you are not careful. All of the rest of their food is GREAT too...ALL OF IT!!! The prices are wonderful compared to many places I have ate where I paid so much more and got so much less food. At Greenbrier you WILL get filled up and you will be happy with the bill!! I also must add that the service is impeccable! A waitress/waiter is always there giving you refills of drinks or hush puppies or seeing if you need anything else. They also have an ice cream machine and it use to cost 25 cents...i suppose it still does.