“a hotel with changing names”

Grand Mercure Recife Boa Viagem
Ranked #11 of 57 Hotels in Recife
Reviewed 26 December 2017

Getting out of the taxi at this big, tall hotel I had to first squeeze myself with a big and a small suitcase through a narrow revolving door, which I found very strange. But since work was going on, this must have been only temporarily. I then stood in line in front of a receptionist, who when it was my turn just disappeared and never showed up anymore. I then had to go to another queue, behind people that had come later than me.

Finally I had the chance to be taken care of by a receptionist and it happened to be a friendly young man, who gave me a room in the 19th, the top floor, with a great view towards the beach and its 'recife' (reef) in front. I especially appreciated the size of the room, after coming from a small room in a Pousada on Fernando de Noronha island, which had also had been quite a bit more expensive than here.

There were two queen size beds in this standard room, also a minibar and a writing desk, unfortunately with no table lamp (lighting in general was not the strong point of the room). The bathroom had a bathtub, a shower, a bidet and free toiletries.

Two floors above the reception, by the restaurant 'Mangabeiras' (where I later had a nice dinner) is a not too small swimming pool. Towels are provided there. To go to the beach one has to ask for a towel at reception.

With the check-in a voucher is given for a free 'Caipirinha' at the bar in the lobby. Walking around the hotel I also discovered a plaque, where it said that this hotel had been inaugurated in 1985 as the 'Recife Palace'. When I did the internet booking here in June it was for a hotel 'Golden Tulip Boa Viagem'. Later I saw that the hotel is now called 'BHG Recife Bia Viagem'. And when there it had the name 'Grand Mercure Recife Boa Viagem'.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,586)

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

Love the breakfast selection and the view from our room was great. Hotel staff was friendly and prompt. We stayed three nights and would recommend to anyone who enjoys a laid back atmosphere in Recife.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
GGBHG, Gerente de recepção at Grand Mercure Recife Boa Viagem, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Golden Tulip Recife Boa Viagem !

We appreciate your time and your feedback. We are glad to hear that our customer service and breakfast were deeply appreciated!

hope to see you real soon!

Best Regards,

Karoline Oliveira

Reviewed 3 October 2017

The hotel is very outdated. Pictures on the website doesn't look like the actual rooms. Walls are so thin and very noisy. You can hear the TV from the other room.
The fridge in the room is so noisy that we had to unplug it so we can sleep.
What mostly makes me upset is the fact that no body managed times no one would take our call when we tried to orde room service, the phone would just ring and ring. My husband went down to the front desk to find them understaffed. When he made the comment that room service doesn't answer they said "We know."

Room Tip: Dont recommend.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
GGBHG, Gerente de recepção at Grand Mercure Recife Boa Viagem, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Mrs. Mahnaz

Thank you for choosing Golden Tulip Recife Boa Viagem ! We appreciate your time and your feedback.
We apologize if nobody answered you while you're trying to contact the room service, we're going to check with the team what happened beacuse this is not common and we offer this service to our guests 24 hours\day and there's always someone who speaks english in the shift.
I also tried to talk to you through the telephone but there's nobody in the room.

Best regards,

Karoline Oliveira
Front Desk Manager

Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

Cannot say much except by the fact that I arrived by 2am and my name wasn't at the reservation list, but the staff managed to get me a room after I showed my voucher. They double charged me but they fixed the mistake in a very fast and gentle manner.
Although the place looks new, the room had an old look and feel but it was clean without any bad smelling typical of old places.
There were no power outlets nearby the beds what's something very inconvenient for me.
I didn't had a chance to experience the shower neither the hotel amenities.
Breakfast was pretty decent, many and good options.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
GGBHG, Gerente geral at Grand Mercure Recife Boa Viagem, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Golden Tulip Recife Boa Viagem!

We are glad to hear that you had a great time staying with us.

We hope to see you real soon!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 23 June 2017

We spent one night in this hotel while on a business trip. Location is gorgeous, across the street from the beach, not for the agoraphobic if you have a high floor overlooking beach. Note: beach is for walking or possibly wading at low tide. Swimming and going into the water at high tide is strongly discouraged because of sharks. Bed was comfortable but bathroom smelled from floor drain and shower drain was extremely slow. Only a few blocks from very large shopping area and airport is only minutes away.

Room Tip: Ask fri beach front. We were in 1601.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
GGBHG, Gerente geral at Grand Mercure Recife Boa Viagem, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2017

Dear Mr KDH_MLH

Our hotel has an old structure, although it has already undergone minor modernizations.

In 2018 the hotel will have brand repositioning and renovation of the structure.

Regards,