Getting out of the taxi at this big, tall hotel I had to first squeeze myself with a big and a small suitcase through a narrow revolving door, which I found very strange. But since work was going on, this must have been only temporarily. I then stood in line in front of a receptionist, who when it was my turn just disappeared and never showed up anymore. I then had to go to another queue, behind people that had come later than me.
Finally I had the chance to be taken care of by a receptionist and it happened to be a friendly young man, who gave me a room in the 19th, the top floor, with a great view towards the beach and its 'recife' (reef) in front. I especially appreciated the size of the room, after coming from a small room in a Pousada on Fernando de Noronha island, which had also had been quite a bit more expensive than here.
There were two queen size beds in this standard room, also a minibar and a writing desk, unfortunately with no table lamp (lighting in general was not the strong point of the room). The bathroom had a bathtub, a shower, a bidet and free toiletries.
Two floors above the reception, by the restaurant 'Mangabeiras' (where I later had a nice dinner) is a not too small swimming pool. Towels are provided there. To go to the beach one has to ask for a towel at reception.
With the check-in a voucher is given for a free 'Caipirinha' at the bar in the lobby. Walking around the hotel I also discovered a plaque, where it said that this hotel had been inaugurated in 1985 as the 'Recife Palace'. When I did the internet booking here in June it was for a hotel 'Golden Tulip Boa Viagem'. Later I saw that the hotel is now called 'BHG Recife Bia Viagem'. And when there it had the name 'Grand Mercure Recife Boa Viagem'.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotel BHG Recife Boa Viagem is strategically located in front of Boa Viagem beach and it counts with 297 charming and comfortable apartments, all with ocean view. When you are not enjoying Recife's local attractions, relax at the pool or at the spa area with steam sauna. You can also get up to date with the exercises by working out in our fitness center. Here, you'll find services with international standards and local flavors. Parking: R$18,00/day for hotel guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Accorhotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Stayforlong S.L., Ebookers, Expedia, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Grand Mercure Recife Boa Viagem reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Tulip Recife Palace Hotel Recife
- Grand Mercure Recife Boa Viagem Brazil