“The ♥ of Darjeeling”
Review of Hotel Sunflower

Hotel Sunflower
Ranked #28 of 99 Hotels in Darjeeling
Reviewed 29 May 2017

Darjeeling hotels are either very obnoxiously priced or very shabby. The mid segment hotels are sorely lacking and I was so glad I discovered hotel Sunflower.

I would say it is the best mid range hotel in Darjeeling because of the following winning factors -

LOCATION - Chowrasta!!! The caption of this review says it all. Chowrasta is to Darjeeling, what Marina Bay is to Singapore and Time Square is to New York.

QUALITY OF STAY - I'm told the rooms and lobby were recently given a face lift. The rooms are tastefully decorated, brand new upholstery, fresh clean sheets n towels, squeaky clean bathrooms and the beds are super comfy.

HOT WATER - While most Darjeeling hotels suffer from water shortage, this hotel provides 24hrs hot and cold water. No more asking for hot water in the bucket, or showering as per the hotels hot water timing. This for me was the USP of the hotel.

F&B - The hotel has a no meat, fully vegetarian menu which is a rarity in Bengal and for veggies like me it is a blessing. Needless to say the food on offer was the best vegetarian food I had in Darjeeling.

SERVICE - Warm, attentive and prompt..our last moment sightseeing demands were handled with such ease.

Before I start looking like a mascot for the hotel let me share a few tips to counter the cons.

- The hotel is located at a no vehicle zone so you would need to ask your driver to drop you at Bhanu Bhavan where the hotel rep would greet you. It is a 2 min walk to the hotel hereon. Not so much of a disadvantage I would say since Darjeeling's beauty is best enjoyed on foot, most tourists come prepared.

- No eggs on the menu, so book at a room only tariff and treat yourself to a colonial style breakfast at the iconic Glenary's or Keventers, instead.

All in all the hotel offers great value for money and I was thrilled to finally find a hotel in Darjeeling that I would love to come back to. Thank you team Sunflower, see you soon.

Room Tip: Ask for Rooms on the Lobby Level.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 May 2017

This hotel is right at Chowrastha and very conveniently located. Rooms are poorly equipped. I am told that we should not expect much from hotels in such tourist places. Staff were very good and they gave us an upgrade to a suite. Before you get carried away, suite is slightly more spacious but the smell from old room and equipment is still there. Our booking included breakfast and Dinner. They prepared decent food and took a good care of us.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2017

Hotel has a great location in the heart of the main square where tourists and locals congregate, and right at the 'Mall Market' entrance. Lots of shops and hotels all around.

Like many hotels in Darjeeling, this sits on a hillside, with a quite nice lobby (and premium rooms) on the main ground floor. The rest of the rooms are located on Basements 1 and 2, with the restaurant on the most bottom floor, in Basement 3. Expect a fair amount of stair climbing up and down to your rooms / or to the resto if you plan to eat there (like for breakfast).

Rooms are cozy enough, with big bathrooms and ample space for luggages. There are also nice sitting areas right outside the rooms on B1 and B2, which is great if the weather is clear and you get a good view of the mountains behind the hotel. However, wifi is only strongest in the lobby. Staff was friendly and helpful in letting us use the lobby computer and printer to print our tickets on our last day.

A couple of things for improvement however:

1. Hotel needs to replace their towels. While they may be clean, they are already a dark white and have stains that make you doubt their hygiene. Also, peeling back the blanket on my bed, I found hair on the sheet.

2. When we were checking out, the management didn't want to release our bill (nor help with getting our suitcases carried out–effectively trapping us) as he claimed our travel organiser had not wired the money that we had paid him for our stay. We argued that this was between him and our organiser, and a bit of an argument ensued. He eventually relented and apologised, but still not a pleasant way to end our stay! :(

Last but not least, I didn't spot a single female staff member–not in reception, housecleaning or kitchen. Unsure why that is. Not necessarily a negative, just curious, and wondered if cleanliness may have improved if there were females around?

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 February 2017

It was wonderful experience as this property is tastefully decorated with many artifacts and statutes and paintings. The rooms are cosy comfortable and nice. The food quality and service both are excellent.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 February 2017

Location is very good and rooms are fine. Nice standard place to stay at Darjeeling.
I will recommend friends and family to stay there. Staffs are friendly and foods standard
ok. Everybody will like to stay there

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends