“Great business hotel near airport”
Review of Trident, Chennai

Trident, Chennai
Ranked #9 of 403 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed 21 March 2012

This is a quality hotel near the airport well placed for business travellers. Rooms are good, a choice of restuarants and a good bar. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jeztwyning
TridentChennai, General Manager at Trident, Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recommendation on TripAdvisor. I am humbled to note that your stay with us was pleasant and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 16 March 2012

The hotel is located close to the airport and not too far from the city-centre. Great location if you have an early morning flight to catch which I did. The hotel organized a drop to the airport which was very convenient. The rooms are large and comfortable with large windows looking into the garden/pool. The building has been around since a couple of decades and has aged well. The food is good and so is the room-service. I was not well one evening and the chef organised a special light soup for me. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. It is indeed comforting to note that my team was able to tend to your needs while you were unwell at the hotel.

We are fortunate to be the closest hotel located to the airport but even more fortunate that the airport is not too far from the main city as would be the case in some cities in India today.

I will be sure to share your appreciation with the team and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 28 February 2012

I booked this hotel mainly because it was near the airport. And just as well because my flight was brought forward to depart at 5.30 am instead of 6.30 am.

This hotel is part of the Oberoi group so it's many things going for it. It's somewhat old in design and apparently had been operated by Hilton. The service level compensates for a lot of this.

The many reviews should give one a sense of the place. So I will give the low and high lights.

The bathroom is somewhat tiny. For reasons I do not understand, two floor mats were put into the bathroom. It's near-impossible to avoid stepping on them with shoes when you walk into the bathroom. Better to have towels.

Bathroom amenities are fine. Room is clean and came with two bananas. I was upgraded to the club level as I am a Trident privilege member.

My main beef would be that the lower level staff are not sufficiently trained. The Internet is free for the first hour. But when you log on, there is no free option. It seems like you have to pay. So I had to get a manager to confirm that it was indeed the case that the first hour is free. Similarly, at the lounge during happy hour, I was made to sign off for a glass of wine and some nuts for Rp600--about US$12. Turns out this is their internal housekeeping. But why should the guest be a victim of your own housekeeping controls.

I had a wonderful dinner at Samudra and would highly recommend it. Fish is the dish to go for. The chef, Gobu, actually came out to chat. I told him that I wanted to try two dishes but ordering two would be too much. He agreed to cook me smaller portions and at a lower price. He would also include sorbet and dessert. I was really tired and forgot that he would be making me dessert. At the end, I asked for the bill and after waiting 15 minutes, I walked up to pay. That's when the waiter said that Gobu was making me the dessert. He should have explained earlier. Mood soured, and very sleepy, I paid up and walked off. Too bad Gobu. Next time.

I'll likely stay here on my next trip.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Panguin
TridentChennai, General Manager at Trident, Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.

I have noted your feedback on the floor mats in the bathroom. I have spoken to our housekeeper and we are looking into creating a better system.

I do understand your point with regard to the internet and order in the bar. We do take signatures from the guests for our record keeping however I have informed the team to be more proactively vocal about the nature of the charge to avoid the inconvenience of a guest having to enquire.

I am pleased to note that you had a pleasant experience in Samudra. I have conveyed your compliments to Gobu and he has asked me to inform you that the next time you are staying at the hotel he will have that special dessert waiting for you.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience so elaborately. I am confident that it will help my team and I attain greater levels of guest satisfaction.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

I've booked a deluxe room with a king bed but upon arrival the hotel upgraded my room to Junior suite. Well that’s not the reason I am giving a 4 star rating to this hotel; rather every star is well deserved by this hotel for the property (room, pool, fitness center etc.) & services (except service by “Cinnamon” folks). The junior suite as such is big with a separate bedroom & a living room with 2 separate TVs in each room. The bathroom fittings & accessories are just right, clean & like new. The hotel has a decent outdoor swing pool surrounded by coconut trees & greenery, this is a nice place to sit & relay during evening (as afternoon in Chennai are hot) if you are willing to enter in swimming pool. The hotel lobby is big & bright. The hotel has a very friendly staff (front desk, backend, room boys) who’re always willing to help you with anything you need. The hotel is very near to the airport may be a 5-10 minutes’ drive & it offers complimentary airport transfer. The hotel has 2 restaurants namely “Samudra” & “Cinnamon” &* a separate bar. The food quality I’ll not rate as excellent but it’s good including the breakfast. The restaurant timings are mentioned for “Cinnamon” as 6 am to 1 am; however you’ll not get all the variety of the food after 10:15 pm if you opt for buffet (yes they have a dinner buffet). I remember we opted for dinner buffet & the restaurant staff was not showing interest (I’d say least bothered & more interested in closing the restaurant) to replenish the empty food containers & we literally had to chase them to get it replenished. We wanted to sit near water body but the staff refused saying it’s closing time (Boy! 10:15 pm is a closing time for a restaurant in a 5 star hotel? Ridiculous!). This was the only bad spot in the entire episode & hence the hotel gets 4/5 stars, else it deserves a 5/5 rating. Hopefully management looks in to it & improves on the services offered by “Cinnamon” folks, this is just NOT RIGHT & making a dent on your 5/5 ranking.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IndianTripper

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your elaborate review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. It is indeed embarrassing to note that our team in the restaurant did not meet your expectations. I have personally shared this feedback with the entire team and explained to them the opportunities we have to ensure the perfect experience once we correct this shortfall.

I have also shared your compliments with the team. I am confident that your review will help us achieve a 5/5 rating consistently in the future for which I am grateful.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 24 February 2012

I have stayed here several times over the past three years. The hotel is close to the airport and offers a car service to and from there. The drivers mostly speak good English and can take you round the city too.
Rooms are a good size and have everything you want. Staff are very friendly and delighted to help you in any way.

Room Tip: ask for a deluxe room - they face onto the garden which is nice