“It's a decent place to stay.”
Review of Tri Sea Residency

Tri Sea Residency
Ranked #219 of 393 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Washington
“It's a decent place to stay.”
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I wouldn't honeymoon here, but when it comes to basic, and relatively clean accommodations at a low cost, this is the place to stay. The staff don't have the best English skills, but somehow they have enough to get you what you need. You mights see a roach or two, but I honestly don't think it's a reflection of the hotel. (Trust me, you know when the roaches have decided to set up a colony, and that's not what was going here.) I might have seen a small lizard on the wall of the corridor, but hey, windows are open and creatures crawl in. If you like your sheets to be bleached perfectly white, then look elsewhere and expect to pay more. But if you can live with sheets that have at least been put in the washer and dryer, you'll be OK. Some of the staff need a little training, like knocking on doors before entering to return laundry, etc. But all in all, if you're here on business or a low budget travel expedition, it's a cool place to stay. Walking distance from Marina beach if you want to go there. Internet cafes and other shops nearby, although you may have to go off the main thoroughfares and into some of the narrow side streets to get to them. There's also Internet on an old PC in the lobby, but they charge 50 rupees per hour, which is about a dollar or so in the U.S.

Room Tip: Ask to see the various types of rooms. They'll be glad to show you.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank DCWRITER360

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Mumbai
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Based on Trip Advisors review we checked in at this Hotel on 11th July 2011 and stayed till 13th july. It is a sheer Value for Money at Rs 1412 for a double bed was a show stealer. It is just less than a kilometer from Mount Road (Anna Salai) and walking distance from Marina Beach. The rooms are clean and neat and the mattress are well laid and are comfortable. The food in the Vegetarian and Non-vegetarian hotel are moderately priced and is definitely tasty and wholesome. Its close to city center and at the same time away from the noisy Mount Road. Tamil Nadu Tourism office is just bang opposite the Hotel. I will definitely stay here in my next trip.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Murlisub
WWW
Reviewed 14 June 2011

We booked for one night but was in contact with the manager Mr Lazarus prior to checkin. He was very helpful and prompt in his communication, and that already created a good impression.

The hotel was a short auto-rickshaw ride to the major stations, so we did not have transport issues.

What was a good surprise was that the staff were particularly helpful, and Mr Lazarus himself took the time to patiently answer our queries, and to chat with us. For my part, when visiting a country, one of the most rewarding experiences is to exchange with locals, and we certainly enjoyed our interaction with Mr Lazarus.

Our double room was a little dark but apart from that, it was clean. Our only grouse was that the noise from the other rooms (all faced a common corridor) carried over into ours (other guests loudly talking, laughing), which made sleep difficult. But once things calmed down, we slept well.

Room Tip: Contact the hotel by email prior to check in
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
mumbai
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Very good staff. Centrally located. Good room interms of cleanliness, good staff.
Affordable. Supported by good hotel.
I have stayed in this hotel atleat 4 ,5 times.
Helping staff.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 3 May 2011

Dear folks,

I am writing this review to help people locate the right place, when they are in need. Let me first describe, who I am and what I was looking for.

Disclaimer: I just want to mention that the text below describes my personal experience and I take no responsibility / credit for the experiences any individual may have.

I am from a middle class family working and settled in USA. I had to go to Chennai from Bangalore for one day with my mother who is 70+. My mother had a Visa interview appointment at US Consulate. I was looking for a place, where I can have peace of mind and not struggle or distracted with little hickups. At the same time, I was looking for a economical option.

I searched a lot on web and several reviews on this site did help me to *not* select certain hotels. Finally I got to see the reviews of this hotel. I first caught site of this hotel while searching the maps on google, and through aroda (I don't remember the link).

Due to my own nature and my mother being with me, I was extra cautious in selecting the Hotel. I called them twice before I booked. I asked the person, if there is any discount. He told me that they don't give discount but I can check for discouns on makemytrip.com. Certainly, makemytrip had a 10% discount, which I could not avail because I did not have a working debit card in India (my problem). On the day of travel, I called the Hotel once again and told them, I will be reaching there and paying cash, please hold a room for me - for two people. The guy named Karthik said, "No Problem you can come and pay in cash".

I reached the Hotel, at 3pm and though Karthik was there at that time, but the other staff members confirmed my reservation. Once again, due to my own nature, I asked to see the room, before I check in. The staff did it very nicely and with pleasure. The staff attendant Abhijit is very good and speaks Hindi - I found out that Abhijit hails from Calcutta.

I liked the room and checked in. In my experience, place was clean - examples:

- lift / elevator is in good working condition.
- Toilet seat was disinfected.
- All water taps working.
- Hot and cold water even in summer.
- A/c working.
- Fan working.
- All lights working.
- Water jug there.
- Glasses sterilized and wrapped in covers.
- Good size almirah with hangers in it.
- Naphthalene balls all over closet etc for dis infection.

The guy at the door is very well dressed and a happy person. I will try to post a picture wtih this review.

On our checking in, the staff attendant Abhijit,

After checking in, I had a bath and my mother wanted to have a coffee. So we went downstairs. Good nice restaurant. Following that we wanted to go to see US Consulate for next day's appointment. I did not know Tamil. But with the help of the guy outside, I think named Vishnu, it was not a problem. He helped us negotiate with auto people, not only once but every time even subsequently we wanted to take auto.

At the reception, the Hotel has a computer with internet, which I was offered to use, if I need to.

Next day, we woke up, got ready and did the work with God's grace and we returned back happily.

Some one may be curious to know, the amount we paid for rent - it is INR 1400 + 12.5% tax for one day, good size room with attached bath for two people.

The hotel is less than 2 km from Chennai Central railway station and approximately 3 km from US Consulate. For each single trip auto charged us INR 50.00 - like Train station to Hotel, hotel to US consulate etc.

Reasons for 4 star rating to Service and Sleep quality:

- On our checking in and entering in the room, the attendant, noticed that the bathroom does not have any towels. (Good think that he noticed it himself). He brought in towel and kept it in bathroom. Later I checked that it is only one towel, though we are two people. A few minutes later, guy came to our room, to make sure everything is alright. I requested him to get me another towel and small soap - which he did promptly. I think the first guy should have put two towels knowing that we are two people.

- On sleep quality, it seems that the mattereses are aging out should be replaced.

Overall it was a comfortable stay, with prompt room service and happy staff members. On our check out, no one asked us for a tip, but I did what I could.

Their web site is: http://www.trisearesidency.com/

• Stayed May 2011