“Nice website - but reality is very different”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hari Mahal Palace

and 1 more site!
Hari Mahal Palace
Ranked #133 of 376 Hotels in Jaipur
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Nice website - but reality is very different”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

I stayed overnight in this hotel on a weekend visit to Jaipur from Delhi. The website made it sound tranquil, welcoming and idyllic. . . what we experienced couldn't have been further from the truth.

We arrived mid morning so wanted a quick spot of lunch before heading into the bustle of Jaipur. Toasted sandwiches seemed quick enough so as not to delay us. After 25 minutes we received wafer thin bread sandwiches and about 5 chips which looked they were what was remaining in the bottom of the fat. I then ordered a Strawberry milkshake, when this arrived it was lumpy with pieces of newspaper. . . After i sent this back it transpired that the kitchen cover the ice cream with newspaper and it had stuck to the top of the ice cream but they served it anyway.

Next was the room. . . an odd set up almost like a 3 bedroomed flat so 3 lockable rooms with a bathroom a shared living room and shared kitchen. Rooms were o.k comfortable enough for their purpose or so we thought - but we'll get to that. The kitchen we didn't use, which was a good job as this is where housekeeping have decided to keep all the towels and bed linen so you couldn't gain access to cook if you wanted to - I almost felt like they were expecting me to do the ironing.

So off we went for an amazing experience of Jaipur only to return on the evening to the sound of trains thundering past the window of the room beeping their horns, this must have happened every 30 minutes. We thought it might be a one off or maybe two times event and so we proceeded to shower (cold water) and change for dinner.

Dinner itself could have been a lovely affair - we sat in the gardens under the stars and the setting was perfect. . .Entertainment (Indian dancing / puppet show) was advertised to run from 8pm - 10pm (one of the main reasons we decided to stay in the hotel). What we got was about 10 minutes of dancing by one lady and a 10 minute puppet show which although good was a total disappointment. You can't advertise entertainment when it clearly isn't.

So onto food. . . . I ordered a lamb curry and to be fair what i ordered was o.k, but my friend ordered a similar dish but was delivered only bone and gristle. . . so that went back and we ordered something else.

It was nice to retire to the room jus to know we were so much closer to checking out. . . But no sleep for the weary travellers. . . because those trains keep going ALL night.

Great place with potential but I wouldn't stay again, I wouldn't recommend it and I certainly wont be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the trains.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michelle M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Hebrew first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

I loved it to stay in the Udaipur suite (#104). The suite has 4 rooms (sleeping/living, clothing, storing and bathroom) and is huge with a very nice kingsize bed. It has a antique look, which is the best thing. If you're in the room you feel like making a time travel. The modern equippment consists of a Tv with every useful channel in indian and english language (movies, news...), a bathroom with a bathtub and a seperate shower with cold and hot water at all time (don't forget to switch on the boiler - the switch is in the bathroom) and a hairdryer. Also an A/C and a big ceiling fan are installed to make a comfy climate.
The bad thing is, that you cannot open any window and that it is very dark in the room. The railway is very close to the room, but if you close the door to the storageroom during night it was never a problem for me to sleep.
You can also use the pool, which is quite nice but the circulating pumps were not activated, so the pool was not the cleanest one, but it was ok to swim.
The service was excellent at my time of travelling. I was asked every day, if I would like to have a footbath with rose flowers and rose oil, hot every day a letter with a small story about Jaipur, the hotel, or just a quote from e.g. Marie Therese with a rose flower.
They allways tried to help me with train tickets and transport...
Wifi is available, but very costly (~2400Rupees) which could be improved.
The food in the restaurant is also good, but I went out 4 of 7 times, because I needed some alternative to the indian cuisine after staying nearly 4 weeks in India.
In general I can only recommend this place and I will definitely stay there again, if I come back to Jaipur.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank Flow_Aut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2011

Stayed in a suite in Heritage Wing. I felt different and good.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Amarnath C
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

I stayed here with my family for one night and although this hotel is branded as a heritage hotel, there is much room for improvement. The rooms are dark but the darker upholstery and bed linen make it seem worse. The sheets were not very clean and some of the electrical fixtures were nearly coming off of the wall. The bathroom was stinking and I could make out old urine stains on the floor and on the side of the toilet. The bathroom floor in general was not cleaned (clumps of hair etc could be seen). Thankfully the trains were not loud enough in this room to keep us up. The breakfast was supposed to start at 7 am and we had requested if we could have it slightly earlier since we had a long drive home. Although we were promised to be served food earlier, eventually it was only ready past 7! Great idea to have food served out on the lawns but we were besieged by flies!! This may be partly because the surroundings are not kept very clean. I think this place could offer a really nice experience, but it is certainly not there now! I don't think I will return.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank SamnMad
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2011

It's heritage property - good lawn, good arrangement. Food was awesome ... with many options.
But rooms were not that great. Small and we had change the room as geyser was not working. It's well located in Jaipur city and well known to people.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family