“indian fast food”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery
Reviewed 14 November 2017

from morning 6 to midnight this place serves south indian excellent food .it is a vegetarian joint. the food thali is also good. the snacks idli, medu wada, dosa, dahi wada sambar and chatni mouth watering

Reviewed 12 November 2017

I had heard a lot about this place and finally got a chance to visit it. We went on a Saturday morning and as expected, had to wait for around half an hour to get seated. But the wait was well worth it, as we were treated with some really good south Indian breakfast delicacies.

Enough has been said and read in hundreds of previous reviews. So let me not waste your time and directly come to the point:

Sheera: Best dish of the lot.. Must try!
Idli: Soft and spongy
Medu Wada Rasam: Rasam was the best I've ever had - sweet and tangy
Masala Dosa: Simple but tasty aloo sabzi
Filter Kapi: Not to be missed!

Hits:
Best south indian restaurant in locality
Total Value for money

Miss:
Nothing really.. Only if they could expand their restaurant so that the waiting time will be lesser

Reviewed 6 November 2017

It is one of the oldest restaurant in Mumbai and hence, the hype. This place is always crowded, but it is worth the wait. It is a QSR situated near Matunga station.

Reviewed 27 October 2017 via mobile

Ram ashray, is the ultimate south indian restaurant you can go to. Perfect taste open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and also is cheap. You will love the quality and you will find food which you'll not find anywhere else. Go for the filter coffee, and cheese rava mysore masala dosa. If you plan to go for breakfast, you should try puri bhaji and idli. It opens at 5 am.

Reviewed 27 October 2017

Hotel Ramshray – a typical south Indian cuisine restaurant that gives importance to the one thing that restaurant should focus more on – the food. I was introduced to this place by my roommate and we decided to give it a try. Since it was 3-30 p.m in the afternoon, I was under the impression that the place shall be empty, however to my surprise there was waiting even at that time. Later I was informed that since 5 am in the morning the place is crowded. They follow the traditional waiting system, where people have to stand in queue to get a seat. The waiting line moves quite fast and we had to wait for 15-20 mins to get our table. Sometimes, you might have to share your table with other customers.

The place is quite easy to locate and since its quite famous, people can guide you to the same. Parking of vehicles can be an issue, as its located on the main road, though they have a person to help you with that. For all the people for whom ambiance is very important, this place is not meant for you. It has one section of dining area that has basic flooring, with no painting or fancy colours on the walls and tables that can accommodate upto 4 people, cramped up in the small area.

The restaurant does not have a elaborate menu, with the food items written on a black wall. However, we did not require that as we had already read on zomato the food to be ordered at this place. We began our lunch, by ordering:

1. Mysore Masala Dosa

One of the specialities of this restaurant, the mysore masala dosa was phenomenal. It was served with sambhar, 2 katori of nariyal chatni. The dosa was soft and crispy at the same time, with being paper thin. The aloo sabzi was given in the corner, just a small quantity, though it could have do with a little bit more spiciness. The nariyal chatni was sweet and for the first time it was not overpowered by imli. A must try for dosa lovers.

2. Bisibele Baath

This was the first time that I tried this dish. Its basically rice and sambhar cooked together alongwith some vegetables and served with nariyal chatni and some nagli wafers. The baath was quite tasty, with some nice tanginess in the slight spicy sambhar adding to the taste.

3. Medu Wada

I have had various medu wada’s though the one’s I had at this place were amazing. It was served dipped in the sambhar and accompanied by nariyal chatni. Though they were served dipped in the sambhar, still it had the exact crispiness and softness, without being too oily.

4. Podi Idli

Its basically a single idli which is covered with an authentic masala of the south and some ghee. Its served with sambhar and nariyal chatni. I was told that the best way to enjoy the dish is, to squash the idli and mixing it with the masala, sambhar and chatni and then eating it. The ghee and the masala made the idli soft and succulent, which I like, as Idli can be very dry itself.

5. Pineapple Sheera

I heard about this different type of sheera for the first time at this place and I had decided to try it. Its sheera cooked in pineapple essence and flavours, having small pineapple pieces in them. It was quite tasty, however had some little extra oil. They have other flavours in sheera such as chocolate, chickoo, strawberry etc., subject to availability.

6. Filter Coffee (Capi)

If you visit a place specialising in south Indian cuisine, its a sin if you don’t try their filter coffee. It was served in a small steel glass and steel bowl. The coffee is to be mixed with the help of the bowl and the cup, to get the perfect taste.

7. Lassi

It was quite ordinary and felt more like chaas than lassi.

The service at this place is quite fast, even though the place is crowded most of the times. After having such a wholesome meal, I was expecting quite a dent in my pocket. However, I was in for another surprise as the whole meal cost us only ₹430, which is very reasonable considering the quality of the food.

Note:

1) Cost for 2 people - ₹300 - ₹500.

2) The place is generally crowded, so expect a waiting time of 15-20 mins.