Review Highlights
Great choices of food and fun expereince

I have been to India a couple of times, even lived there once before for six months, but haven't... read more

Reviewed 27 October 2018
Jariberry
London, United Kingdom
Great way to get to know Mumbai and its vibrant street food scene

Reviewed 12 October 2018
AntoninaKudina

All reviews hand churned muslim quarter paan chor bazaar chowpatty beach
Reviewed 12 October 2018

Although I've been calling Mumbai my home for 11 years, A Chef's Tour helped me discover some of the city's aspects I didn't know about. Their guide Shailesh is a very knowledgeable person who takes pride in Mumbai's rich historical background and multiple cuisines. Eating our way through the city, we explored the Fort area, studded with Gothic Revival architectural gems, walked along the iconic Marine Drive, enjoyed the sea breeze at the Chowpatty beach and battled a desire to buy every single antique at the Chor Bazaar in the Muslim quarter :)

The food scene was diverse and vibrant. We started the tour with a glass of refreshing lemon soda, mildly spiced to our liking. Then Shailesh took us to various food stalls, restaurants, and bakeries where we tasted foods like the Kerala style fish fry, served in a traditional way on banana leaves, carrot cake, paan, pav bhaji, misal pav, pani puri, and chicken kebabs. We also tried a couple of desserts to satisfy our sweet tooth. The hand-churned ice cream from a sixth generation family business was especially yummy - no factory produced ice-cream comes even close!
Public transportation is one more aspect of the city one gets to know on this tour. While exploring Mumbai, we used a local train, a traditional black-and-yellow cab, and a bus.
So yes, I would definitely recommend this tour as a great way to learn more about Mumbai!

Date of experience: October 2018
AChefsTour, Owner at A Chef's Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2018

Hi Antonina,

Thanks for joining Shailesh on his Mumbai food feast! It's great to hear that you had a good time and managed to discover parts of the city that you didn't know before!

We look forward to seeing you on another one of our foodie adventures soon.

All the best,

A Chef's Tour

Reviewed 11 October 2018

This is a great tour to take when you arrive in Mumbai. Our guide, Shailesh, is very knowledgeable about the city. You will try a wide range of dishes across several parts of the city. You can also learn about taking various types of public transportation in Mumbai, which can be tricky! I would highly recommend this to others.

Date of experience: October 2018
AChefsTour, Owner at A Chef's Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2018

Hi Sarah,

It's was great to have you on the tour and we're really pleased to hear you had a good time with Shailesh. He's really knowledgable about the city and knows his stuff when it comes to Mumbai's food scene!

We hope you enjoy the rest of your time in India and we look forward to seeing you on another one of our food tours in the future!

All the best,

Luke

Reviewed 21 September 2018

I had a wonderful time on this food tour. Mumbai is a picturesque city with many interesting neighborhoods, a few of which we explored on this tour.

Shailesh is a third generation Mumbai resident so he really knows his way around the city. He took me me to some great restaurants and street food stalls to try things like Keralan thali, Indian apple pie, paan, kebabs, and hand-churned ice cream. We even hopped on the train and spent some time at Chowpatty Beach where we enjoyed one of his favorite dishes – phav bhaji. It was delicious! I really enjoyed mopping up the thick curry with the bread whilst looking out at the ocean. I was lucky to be in Mumbai for Ganesh Chaturthi so the atmosphere throughout the city was festive.

We explored the very interesting Chor Bazaar as well and made our way to the Muslim quarter. There we had the tastiest grilled kebabs before ending the tour with hand-churned ice cream made by a famous heritage stall. I had custard apple and mango ice cream, both of which were so good I wound up eating most of it. It was a perfect ending to a fun food tour in Mumbai.

On a side note, Shailesh and I would take the public bus to the Terminus before parting ways. The Terminus looks beautiful during the day but you should really see it at night when it's lit up. It looks absolutely spectacular.

Date of experience: September 2018

Hi JB,

Great to hear that Shailesh showed you a good time in Mumbai. He's carefully designed the tour to visit 3 very different neighbourhoods all of which have completely different types of food. We totally agree - the Terminus looks AMAZING at night!

Best