“Setting the record straight”
Review of Hotel Bright

Hotel Bright
Ranked #119 of 778 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I can only assume that this hotel was extensively remodelled, moved and/or came under new management recently, because many of the reviews I found on this site were simply flat-out wrong. So, let's begin:

1) the neighbourhood: The claim that this is a run-down, seedy neighbourhood is absurd. Connaught Place is a yuppified shopping district for well-heeled Indians. It is absolutely 100% safe. Parking is another matter. Your taxi driver will be able to drive right up to the front door, but he probably won't be able to find the front door. Connaught Place is a series of several concentric rings. This hotel is on the outside of the innermost ring, which places it on the inside of the main road, Connaught Circle. Keep your eye out for the small blue signs on the buildings that tell you the block number. They are in alphabetic order, but the sequence begins at E or F, I think, because the first several blocks are on the inside of the innermost ring.

2) The entrance: the pictures that others have posted here are accurate - there is a small antechamber on the first floor with some painting on the wall to indicate the address. This part of the property is not controlled by the hotel, so there probably isn't much they can do about it, but it's safe (there is a guard outside the entryway on the ground floor), and unobtrusive. Don't sweat it.

3) The rooms: both the furniture and the walls do show some signs of wear, but both the rooms and the common areas are immaculate. Personally, the wear didn't bother me. The bed was very clean and comfortable, the room is very appropriately furnished by Western standards, there's a safe in the closet, and there's a flat-panel television with plenty of English-language channels. My room was also very quiet. This is a great place to avoid the rest of New Delhi when you're not in the mood to deal with it. :-)

4) The staff: the management of this hotel are saints - there simply is no other way to describe them. My wallet was stolen during my trip (not in the hotel), and they really went out of their way to assist me in phoning my bank back home. I also had bought a lot of books, and they made all of the arrangements to have a taxi drive me to the main post office so that I could mail them home. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful, actually - and this is the baseline, not something you have to guarantee with generous tipping.

5) The food: it's very tasty, there's plenty of it, and there's a pretty good selection of both Western and Indian dishes. They also have room service. By the time I had arrived in New Delhi, my stomach was such a mess that just about anything would have upset it, and I did have some trouble with the food here, but I certainly didn't get the impression that it was because of any lack of precaution on the hotel's part. They use bottled or boiled water in all of their cooking, for example.

Overall, I was delighted to have stayed here, and plan to do so again if I return to New Delhi.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Gerald P

Reviewed 10 February 2012

The Connaught Place location is very good, lots of options to eat, shop and very close to a metro station at Rajiv Chowk. To get into to the hotel you wallk through a small doorway and then climb two flights of stairs and pass what looks like an abandoned apartment complete with various pieces of wrecked furniture, not pleasant. The hotel proper is clean, staff friendly and wifi works well. The breakfast is served in the room and is adequate, rooms are quite small and ours did not have a window which was OK. We found the rooms noisy, the door was very poorly fit and as such everything happening in the reception was clearly audible as were the footsteps and the corridor, we didnt sleep very well. We would say that the room rate is high in relation to the quality offered, the quality is budget but the price is above budget type accomodation.
Be aware that Connaught Place is full of travel agents and also full of travel agent scouts whose job is to bring you to one of the agents where they will attempt to sell tours etc, be prepared to be approached frequently.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2012

This small hotel was bought by new owners a few years ago and completely renovated. They were interested in reflecting the English style of the area. They have done beautiful job and the effect is a feeling of unusual quality for a budget hotel. Location is central to Connaught Circle and nearby Metro. The hotel is on the second floor of a dumpy looking building and the stairway up is not very inspiring. But don't let this put you off; you will enter a sweet little oasis. The only drawback for me was the window in my room was fairly non-functional (didn't let in much light and couldn't be opened) and some rooms don't have any windows at all. But given all that it offers, this is not a deal breaker. I've stayed in other hotels in the Connaught area most of which are dumpy. Hotel Bright is far and above anything else I've seen.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 February 2012

My main reason in Dehli was enroute to visit Taj Mahal in Agra. However, I was glad that I chose Hotel Bright. Arriving past midnight in Delhi, I must say I was a little scared when my driver stopped infront of a buidling which look like it's still half under construction.

However, all my anxiety lifted when I stepped into Hotel Bright's reception. It's small but very nice and staff members were professional in every way (thanks for the help with car booking guys). My room was clean and beautiful (love the comfy bed) and equipped with cable TV. The bathroom was also clean and modern - totally up to my expectation. What's more, breakfast was served right to your room by personal room service - nice :)

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I don't very little negative to say about Hotel Bright. The staff are extremely helpful, the rooms are clean and fairly new. Beds have Western-style mattresses (ie, a bit thicker than standard Indian mattresses), and the breakfast is pretty good too. Location is nice and central to New Delhi, near the Metro, Costa Coffee and Cafe Coffee Day and historical sites. The only negative aspect of the room is that we could not separate the twin beds. It was fine for me, but my dad and his friend did not necessarily want to sleep so closely together, even though they were in separate, twin beds. I guess one more negative aspect, which it seems they have no control over, is that when you enter the hotel, it seems like you might be entering a crack house. There is a couch that looks like it was set on fire and spray paint on the walls. It seems like this area is owned by someone else, which would explain why they haven't fixed it up.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family