I can only assume that this hotel was extensively remodelled, moved and/or came under new management recently, because many of the reviews I found on this site were simply flat-out wrong. So, let's begin:
1) the neighbourhood: The claim that this is a run-down, seedy neighbourhood is absurd. Connaught Place is a yuppified shopping district for well-heeled Indians. It is absolutely 100% safe. Parking is another matter. Your taxi driver will be able to drive right up to the front door, but he probably won't be able to find the front door. Connaught Place is a series of several concentric rings. This hotel is on the outside of the innermost ring, which places it on the inside of the main road, Connaught Circle. Keep your eye out for the small blue signs on the buildings that tell you the block number. They are in alphabetic order, but the sequence begins at E or F, I think, because the first several blocks are on the inside of the innermost ring.
2) The entrance: the pictures that others have posted here are accurate - there is a small antechamber on the first floor with some painting on the wall to indicate the address. This part of the property is not controlled by the hotel, so there probably isn't much they can do about it, but it's safe (there is a guard outside the entryway on the ground floor), and unobtrusive. Don't sweat it.
3) The rooms: both the furniture and the walls do show some signs of wear, but both the rooms and the common areas are immaculate. Personally, the wear didn't bother me. The bed was very clean and comfortable, the room is very appropriately furnished by Western standards, there's a safe in the closet, and there's a flat-panel television with plenty of English-language channels. My room was also very quiet. This is a great place to avoid the rest of New Delhi when you're not in the mood to deal with it. :-)
4) The staff: the management of this hotel are saints - there simply is no other way to describe them. My wallet was stolen during my trip (not in the hotel), and they really went out of their way to assist me in phoning my bank back home. I also had bought a lot of books, and they made all of the arrangements to have a taxi drive me to the main post office so that I could mail them home. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful, actually - and this is the baseline, not something you have to guarantee with generous tipping.
5) The food: it's very tasty, there's plenty of it, and there's a pretty good selection of both Western and Indian dishes. They also have room service. By the time I had arrived in New Delhi, my stomach was such a mess that just about anything would have upset it, and I did have some trouble with the food here, but I certainly didn't get the impression that it was because of any lack of precaution on the hotel's part. They use bottled or boiled water in all of their cooking, for example.
Overall, I was delighted to have stayed here, and plan to do so again if I return to New Delhi.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your Hotel Bright reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Bright Star