“Wow , wow , wow!! Experience the Taste, Sounds, Life of Old Delhi - with a friend as a guide”

Old Delhi Bazaar Walk & Haveli Visit
Ranked #1 of 51 Food & Drink in New Delhi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Our Old Delhi tours are combination of Food, Heritage & culture with walking and cycle rickshaw( Pedi cab) ride to make a comfortable experience at Old Delhi. It is off the eaten / beaten path and a feast for all the senses. We recommend our guests to see Delhi not just as a sightseeing tour or sitting simply on a cycle rickshaw / Pedi cab or in a taxi BUT see it through our eyes to experience the city on the whole with its past and present, with its beliefs and its culture that co-exist. Our walks give a taste of the city and make you sink in the frenzy of its colours, vivacity and irresistible charm. Your senses come alive as you will encounter the many captivating sights and sounds this amazing city has. It indulges you in its artistic enticing food to refresh, rejuvenate your mind, body & soul as it satisfies one's cravings. This also gives an insight to Indian heritage, culture, traditions and Culinary Experience. Disengage yourself from the rest of the world and walk the streets of Shahjanabad / Chandni Chowk with us, the passionate local family ( fifth generation)from the Old City of Delhi. You will get a completely different look of India through the eyes of the local family living in the same area. You will be personally lead around the neighbourhood's winding streets, sharing the neighbourhood's rich history, delicious food & culture. After the walk, you will visit and enjoy complimentary homemade meal at one of the last standing beautiful Haveli (an Old Private Mansion in the old city in which single family is living from five generations) of Delhi.
Johannesburg, South Africa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Wow!!! A truly authentic, beautiful and non-touristy experience. I will always remember the magical moment of flying a kite from the rooftop of Dhruv's haveli (house). Having been to India many times over the past 3 years, this was by far the most enjoyable tour I have ever taken and would highly recommend it.

Dhruv met the 2 of us at the metro station, and immediately we felt as if we were catching up with an old friend, who was passionately showing us his city for the first time! Dhruv makes you feel welcome from the first moment and, also sets up all expectations up front. He also said he was going to take pictures as well, as a documentary of our trip, and of course you are thus in a number of them, which is always a great memory of a trip (normally you are never in most of your pics! He sends you the website link after the tour).

As Dhruv lives in the heart of old Delhi, he is talking about his neighbourhood, introducing you to people he knows, showing you parts of his daily life, and you really have a truly authentic experience.

He takes you on a street tour, where you taste various types of local cuisine (the lassi with rose water made in the little clay pots that are only used once – was just heavenly! And if you go in winter, the milk foam – called Daulat ki Chaat– just melts in your mouth! You can old get in Old Delhi. On Monday at the office I was telling everyone about it and majority of my Indian colleagues had never had it!) You explore the various businesses (not to purchase anything – just to see how things are done/made), from the spice seller, to the mattress-maker, to the cheese maker, to the ear-cleaner to the local doctor, etc… really exploring the daily life of Old Delhi.

You end up at Dhruv’s house, meeting his family and having a local meal with them, which you helped to cook! Ending up on the roof top to experience a completely different Old Delhi… it is the most awesome experience…. And so much more, but I won’t spoil the fun… go do the tour! I might meet you on the next one, when I am back to do another!

3 Thank Mollytravellers

• Arabic first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“The ONLY way to see and taste the real Old Delhi”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

My 13 year old daughter and I had the most amazing evening in the company of Dhruv. We were given a history lesson, an insight into the vast array of street food and then an amazing glimpse of his traditional home. And all of this was done in such a friendly manner.
Dhruv started the evening by telling us that at no time were we to offer him tips and that he was doing this food walk as a passion project, rather than a business venture, and by the end of the evening it was so obviously true.
We were in india for nearly 4 weeks and visited the North and South, and this really was one of the most memorable things we did. We would never have tasted all of the foods we tried that night and Dhruv could not have been a better host. Highly recommended.

2 Thank steve78surf
slim69
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Authentic Delhi Commercial District Experience”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I was in Delhi on work and when I mentoined that I was thinking of taking a tour starting in Chawri Bazzar to my Indian collegues they thought I was mad! I got the sense that this is not a place that is commonly visited by the middle to upper class folk in New Delhi and when you take the tour you will probably understand why. The area that Dhruv walks you through is the heart of the Delhi wholesale market, it is dilapidated, busy and grubby - But these are the same reasons that this tour is great!! It is an insight in to the real life of the Old Delhi community, taste some real local food (Which was aweome BTW) and see how esentially this city ticks.. Dhruv finsihes the tour off with a fab meal at his place and is the epitome of great Indian hospitality!

4 Thank slim69
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Personal, Unique, Tactile and Inspiring.”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

This was the most wonderful afternoon, wandering through the Old Delhi lane ways, tasting delicious local food and being immersed in the colourful and chaotic street life. If you want to avoid feeling like a tourist that can't seem to scratch the surface of a place like Old Delhi, this is a great introduction. From a personal point of view, I feel like we made some real friends. Being invited into Dhruv's home, cooking some great food and sharing a meal with his family was just lovely. From a professional point of interest, learning about the Haveli, its history and the character behind it's walls will inform the way I think about architecture and design. Finishing the day flying kites on the rooftop, looking over the dense Old City buildings was unforgettable. I hope I can return the warm and genuine hospitality Dhruv and his wife extended us. Thank you..

2 Thank Lee K
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“See the real Delhi in an evening, and having snacks along the way.”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

An interesting tour through Delhi and great hospitality from Dhruv, entertaining us in his home at the end of the tour.

5 Thank ccc69