See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 30 December 2015 via mobile

We stayed at the free spirit inn in december 2015 and it was perfect. it is set in a lush garden atop a hill overlooking the surrounding waters of bastimentos. the rooms are clean and cozy with a nice terrace to relax or to await the rains (they come and go in rainy season). The place is run by a salvadorian couple and they are super friendly and welcoming and also they serve an awesome breakfast.

Bastimentos itself is a quiet, green island about a 5 min boat ride from the main island. go to bastimentos if you like staying away from the hustle and bustle and seek some peace and quiet. expect to pay around 3-5 usd per person to go the main island where you find a greater selection of restaurants bars activities etc. Isla caranero is a 2-3 usd per person boat ride away and is good for surfing and relaxing.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gunnar I
Reviewed 16 August 2015

We arrived at Free Spirit Inn on the last leg of our 2 week trip to Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama. Our intention was to find somewhere relaxing on Bastimentos to enjoy the last 3 days. After a tough journey across the border and into Bocas we finally made it around 8pm, by which time it was pitch dark. We had some trouble locating the hotel but when we eventually found it we received a warm welcome from the manager Marcela. We stayed in a small cabin which has two levels. The bottom level is a rest area with space to relax and store any luggage and the top has a decent sized comfortable bed. The private bathroom just outside the cabin was a good size and had hot water which was a bonus. Free breakfast was served each morning and was filling and healthy. Marcela was also on hand to offer us some good information about Bastimentos and Bocas in general.
We felt this review just slightly missed the excellent mark as we initially had a negative experience with the booking. However, given the hospitality we received during our stay Free Spirit In deserves a very good rating!

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ryan M
Reviewed 5 August 2015

This is a wonderful place, I had an amazing time. Me and my friends are really happy about this experience. The cabins are really beautiful and they have a wonderful view to the bay and the nearest islands. The rooms are clean and the host(Marcela) took really good care of us. It seems that the thatch roof is new and it gives it a really nice touch to the place.
She took the time to organize our tours with really good guides that took us to some beautiful places like the bat caves, nice beaches and also to do one of the most beautiful snorkeling areas in the archipelago.
The food is really nice as well, they offer something different from what all the restaurants around offer. And it is not expensive at all. Besides that the breakfast is included you can also ask for different things they have in their menu.
I think the money that we've paid was worth every penny.
We´re deffinately coming back next year.

Room Tip: It seems that all the rooms are quiet,nice and clean. If you are coming with your partner you should take the hut.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank ToshEsc
Reviewed 12 July 2015

Coming to Bocas Del Toro is one of a very good tip when you are visiting Panama! But staying in Bastimentos is a better way to understand the real living style of the Islands and local people! Then about your selected place, to stay in a B&B is a must like being in a small, natural, calm and unique like Free Spirit Inn. They will do the impossible to make your vacation as amazing as possible. All the nice and comfortable small but high rooms are different with nice bathroom. The breakfast is made with also local fruits and you really feel being in vacation as soon as you are awake by the nature and see view! Yes yes I will highly recommend this hotel where we had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: The Glamping Hut is my favorit!
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Franck-Alb B
Reviewed 9 June 2015

My husband and I decided to stay here based on the trip advisor reviews. At the last minute we had a change of plans and emailed Frank to see if we could arrange to cancel all or part of our reservation. When we hadn't heard back from him, we went to Bastimiento in person. The first time, we walked right past the place as the sign is up under an overhang. When we finally did locate it there was a sign on the gate saying "Please ring bell." We looked around but were unable to locate the bell. As someone from the bar up the hill had called and told Frank that we were on our way over, I assumed it was okay to open the gate and go in. We entered and I called out, "Frank." Frank appeared berating me for calling out and for not using the bell, "Why are you yelling? Didn't you see the sign? Why didn't you use the bell?" He then implied that coming in was dangerous due to the dog and gestured dramatically towards a sleepy dog who raised its head briefly before nodding off once again. When we explained who we were and why we were there, he said, "Oh yes. We were talking about your email this morning." (Great, so why didn't you actually respond to the email and save us this trip.) He assured us that we would remain responsible for the charges for the four nights we had reserved. What was interesting was the place appeared to be deserted during a week that is one of the busiest of the year - Easter week. Since we had only made new plans for 3 nights, we said that we would return for the fourth night. Frank then took us to the unit and asked us to decide if we wanted to sleep upstairs or downstairs so that he would only have to make up one bed. I think my incredulous look, based upon our paying for four nights and only staying one, stunned him into agreeing to make up both beds--"Of course you want both beds." On our way out, Frank showed us where the bell was. It was approximately 3 feet away from where one would expect it to be under a dirty piece of plastic. Frank explained that it was there because the fence was lower so he could see who was at the gate. In the end, my husband and I opted to call the whole thing a write-off and stay someplace where we might not get in as much trouble with the management.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank theresam854
Calvin C, Manager at Free Spirit Oasis, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2015

Hi,
My Name is Marcela and i'm the new manager of Free Spirit Inn.
Sorry to read everything that happen to you while the other manager were here.
Well i dont understand the problem with the belll because is very easy to see it is right next to the door like a normal bell, the dog is here for my guest security, Lucy is a nice dog, very friendly with my guest everybody who comes love her, we always tide Lucy everytime that someone comes.

So sorry to hear the way that Frank treat you guys, but now everything is different include the roof that is new!