Water Garden Sigiriya
US$60
US$372
US$311
Priceline
All reviewsdeluxe villaplunge poolbluetooth speakerhalf board planwine by the glassfor making our stay so specialdressing area and bathroommultiple times a dayseparate loungestunning resortservice par excellencelarge living areastandard menusri lankasitting roompresented beautifullyred dot
Reviewed 4 April 2018

I worked with Red Dot to plan my 10 days in Sri Lanka, and they fortunately suggested this hotel as a 3 day base from which to explore the cultural triangle. After doing my essential Trip Advisor research, I agreed that it was "the place for me". Very glad I did. It wasn't perfect, but pretty darn close.

The bungalow I had was one of the ones closest to Sigiriya, with a great view. Note that it was also the farthest from the dining area, which didn't pose any problems for me as I was quite happy to walk. Golf cart transport is available as an option. The bungalow was probably the best equipped/laid out hotel accommodation I have ever had. They thought of all the little details, like: a bluetooth speaker, a kettle (and a separate coffee maker), a mini-bar that included actual milk (free) for use with the tea bags that were also abundant. Each side of the bed had a proper nightstand and reading lights. The living room area had a little dining room table which was ideal for the very efficient room service I enjoyed for dinner (loved the Asparagus soup). Special bonus points for blackout shades that really created complete darkness, which eased my way through the jet lag. I appreciated the re-fillable glass water bottles in the rooms instead of plastic. i liked the outdoor furniture and plunge pool too.

The location of this hotel was pretty perfect. Yes, the road to the hotel is bumpy and a pain, but you get used to it. From the hotel, we explored pretty much all the highlights of the region, with usually no more than an hour (ish) drive. It was great to spend 3 nights in one place.

I loved the breakfasts, especially the croissants and fresh juices and fresh fruits. Service was sometimes a little confusing or chaotic, with multiple servers around but it was never clear who did what. Hot milk with my tea was the best way to start my days.

There was only one thing that bothered me during my stay, which I didn't ever mention to the staff. The bungalows border working rice fields. Anytime i wanted to sit outside and enjoy the private plunge pool and lounge chairs, there was a loud, really annoying engine or pump noise continuously emanating from somewhere in the rice field across the road. And there was usually smoke coming from a similar direction. Made it hard to fully enjoy a peaceful hour or two of late afternoon sun on the patio. Note the noise always ended by the evening and it was usually really quiet for sleeping. Unless you're awakened by one of the many peacocks....

Overall, the staff was friendly and helpful, property still feels very new and in great shape. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, and strongly recommend 3 nights to fully experience the hotel and all that this region has to offer.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
Ghazzali M, General Manager at Water Garden Sigiriya, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Thank you for your lovely review & we are so glad that the little details in the villa made a difference to your stay with us, this is an aspect we review constantly & we listen to feedback from our guest & act on it to enhance the experience.

On the work going on in the rice fields we do regret that it proved to be bit of a damper to an otherwise near perfect stay, this is not a regular occurrence, it takes place for a few days before the harvesting of the rice.

The bumpy public road that leads to the resort is an aspect being worked on & will be resolved soon.

Thank you for having chosen to stay with us & we would be more than delighted to have you stay with us again.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

We stayed here 3 nights and just wish it could have been longer. food and staff very good. Villa was luxury, we spent every evening in our plunge pool along with a few glasses of wine and some music, views were magnificent along with the pool.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Ghazzali M, General Manager at Water Garden Sigiriya, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Thank you for your lovely review, we would be delighted to have you stay with us again

Reviewed 3 April 2018

This is a relatively new property set in very spacious grounds. The luxury villas are quite stunning and very well designed, each with its own small but adequate pool. (There is also a huge public pool.) The gardens abound with wildlife - they even need to have guards at night to discourage the elephants from entering! The birds are encouraged and abound - particularly peacocks. Monkeys are also common.

The service was excellent and all the staff very helpful and attentive. We had an issue caused by the hotel arrangements, and every possible effort was made to deal with the consequences.

As we found I'm many Sri Lankan hotels, the Sri Lankan food was to be preferred over western food - just get used to having hoppers, curries and raita for breakfast! They were delicious!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2018

I enjoyed both my stays here but the place is struggling. It gives you worn out old slippers used by other guests, and the front desk will tell you that they do not want you to take the cheap laundry bag with your dirty laundry. And, the security at the gate will want to check all your things very rudely at the gate.

Room Tip: Beautiful place if there is water
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Ghazzali M, General Manager at Water Garden Sigiriya, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Thank you for having stayed with us & we are glad that you enjoyed your stay when you were with us last August which this review relates to.

On the other aspects commented on in the review we wish to clarify for reasons of clarity.

All Villas have two sets of slippers, one is a disposable bio-degradable fabric slipper for use indoors & the other a rubber flip flop for use outdoors which is not disposable, this is sanitised & placed after use.
Replacing the rubber flip flops after every use will not be an environmentally responsible practice. However if a request had been made for a new pair we would have gladly obliged.
We do not place worn out old slippers under any circumstances.

On the laundry bag what we have is a durable cotton fabric bag with our logo which is laundered & reused, here again as an environmental best practice we do not use plastic disposable bags.
The probable reason for the comment could be the fact that an offer of a different bag to take away your dirty laundry on you departure was made by our staff in a polite manner.

We do regret the incident where the security at the gate had questioned you on the bikes which were being carried away in your vehicle as he had wanted to verify that they were not bikes that belonged to the resort.
The security was merely doing his duty and had been very polite about the matter. You would probably recall that the General Manager who was there at that time had apologised profusely & we apologise once more.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

This is A five star resort out deluxe Villa was really beautiful and very comfortable and the location and views were great. The staff was really friendly, and very helpful especially Augustine. The Resort is really spread out so each villa feels private and you can really enjoy the peaceful location. It is conveniently located for visiting the nearby historical sites I would definitely recommend staying here and would come back again One day thanks for the great stay

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends