Irene's Hostel
Hotel Balada(Suceava)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I stayed here 1 night on 18.05.12, this hostel is actually a house converted into a hostel so it has a very homey feeling.
Located pretty much in the town centre, it takes 1 minute to walk to the bus station, very handy if you continue your journey elsewhere by bus or maxitaxi (as I did the morning after to Chișinău).
The guys at the reception were kind enough to make my stay pleasurable enough and were up for a chat.
There is 1 computer if you need the Internet and don't have your own laptop.
You get free tea & coffee in the kitchen but there's no such thing as a kettle/water boiler so to make tea you actually need to boil some water in a little pan on the hob, personally I didn't mind doing that in the least.
Overall cleanliness was ok/average.
There are 2 bathrooms/showers, 1 at the end of the corridor, the other accessible via the kitchen (the latter a bit uncomfortable if you go for a shower and there are people in the kitchen).
The bed was comfy, the dorm had 2 single beds and 1 bunk bed.
Things I didn't like and that could/should be improved easily:
- the curtain in the dorm wasn't long enough to cover the whole window
- the town map they give you could be a bit better than a not-very-clear black & white copy
- there are no hooks on the walls or on the door in the bathrooms where you could hang your towels/clothes while you shower

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank JamR0LL
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Our overall feeling was that Irene's hostel is not being run seriously. The furniture is a mis- matched collection of cheap stuff, the curtains in the room we had were way smaller than the windows, the town map they provide is an uninformative black and white photocopy, the bin in the kitchen was full but remained un-emptied the whole time we there. Alex, the only member of staff we saw, was very friendly and welcoming but not professional, for example he told us there was no coffee as he'd finished it but didn't go out to get any more! but he did go out at around 7pm both nights we were there and didn't show up again until the following morning at around 8h30 am. There was no heating turned on so it was very cold.
Not a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank hkwoody
Reviewed 17 August 2011

To be fair, I don't remember when I stayed there, it was autumn 2010 anyway.
The hostel location might be very convenient for those coming to Suceava by bus.

The reason I tried this hostel is quite strange...I wanted a change in the way I travel..I decided not to go for "Nothing but the best" anymore so I happened to arrive at Irene's hostel during an evening..

The receptionist (who didn't look like that at all) was quite sleepy and quite confused when I entered..he still tried to be nice and he invited me to the room, prepared a tea and told me few things about restaurants in Suceava.

There was just one guest in the hostel that moment, a very strange man who wasn't really interested in having a conversation..
The kitchen, the bathroom and the hall were clean but the room I slept in was quite bad-looking because the man I stayed with put his belongings all over the place.

I slept quite well there because I was very tired but I think it's obvious I would neither stay there again nor recommand it to anybody else..

Room Tip: Maybe the rooms upstairs are not that noisy since you don't have anyone ..
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank British_lover
Reviewed 9 June 2011

This was my first time in Romania and I was there for an art residency in Borsec the previous two weeks. The second half of my stay was in Suceava, and my friend located Irene's for me. I stayed at the hostel (with the exception of a couple weekend trips) for two more weeks! The whole place was exceptionally clean and comfortable. The staff was very helpful and courteous. The whole time I stayed at Irene's I did not feel like I was traveling in another country, but as if I was staying somewhere much more like home. I absolutely recommend Irene's to everyone who is traveling there.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
11  Thank zwinterwalker
Reviewed 27 April 2011

This Hostel was right next to the Bus station/Taxi stop in the center of Suceava, in northern Romania. We took the train up from Bucharest and there was a driver to pick us up and take us to the Hostel, but a taxi would work too as it was only 10 lie to get there.

We had a large room with two single beds and a bunk bed. Mattresses were very comfortable, which provided us with a very restful sleep each night. There is a bathroom at the end of the hall and a small kitchen with a refrigerator and a gas stove.

There was a store located about 10 minutes walking distance so you could pick up your own food to make dinner. they did provide tea/coffee in the morning, but no food, so be sure to bring your own.

There was a nice Italian restaurant just down the road called Latino's which was quite good!

Room Tip: A very homey feeling, friendly owners.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends