“upgraded to a superior room, amazing service”

Hotel La Cabana Machu Picchu
Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Aguas Calientes
Reviewed 20 May 2012

i know this won't be everyone's experience, but my husband and i were upgraded to a superior room when we arrived late at night, and the room was really amazing for the standard price. it was huge, had two comfy leather seats with a table, safe, and fresh flowers. prior to us arriving at the hotel, we were met at the train station from ollantaytambo by staff, who helped with our luggage. when he found out we didn't have bus tickets yet, he ran out and got them for us right before they were about to close, which was awesome since we wanted to leave as early as possible. they also helped us book a private tour guide ($60 USD for 2.5-3 hrs) who met us at our hotel at 6 am and accompanied us on the bus to Machu Picchu.

When we returned around noon, we had a few hours prior to boarding the train back to Cusco. I asked if I could take a shower (checkout was at 9 am) and they obliged, which I was totally grateful for. Showers were hot, with good pressure. Standard rooms are a bit cozy. Wi-fi is great throughout the hotel. Breakfast starts at 5 am for early risers to MP, and was great!

I was really thrilled with the service here, and would definitely recommend. If you have a little extra $ and are going to be arriving early to AC, I would splurge and get the superior room.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,056)

Reviewed 19 May 2012

The walls are paper-thin. So thin that you can hear the neighbour from down the hall´s toilet flush never mind the bodily functions of my roommate as clear as a bell. The toilet is so close to the wall he couldn´t sit straight. Construction started right outside our window at 7:30am. You have to check out at 9am. On the plus side the beds were comfortable and well-blanketed, there is free w-fi, and a decent breakfast. I have no experience with other hotels in this town - this may be the norm.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 May 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here in August 2011. We had a great stay and the service was wonderful. A representative from La Cabana picks you up from the train station and walks you to the hotel. Just like Cusco, lots of steep streets but I loved it! We stayed in the top room, I believe it was the biggest one for only one night. The bed was very comfortable and everything was clean!
The receptionist mentioned that we could check out the hot springs but we were too caught up with exploring Aguas Calientes and its Mercado. We were unable to check out the breakfast because we woke up at 4am to be on the first buses to Machu Picchu.
Overall, really great stay no complaints...except, oh yeah! One huge spider looked at us while we slept...I would still recommend staying here regardless, I didn't let one spider ruin my trip =D

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Farah D
Reviewed 17 May 2012

My partner and I stayed in La Cabana Machupiccu, great location, fantastic service, friendly staff, hot showers and great accommodation. We were surprised and very happy to stay in La Cabana Machupicchy. Clean, good food and once again fantastic service we have recommended it to our friends and Family - In spanish este hotel tiene un buen servicio. La habitacion que nos dieron era comoda, (tenia mucho olor a humedad eso si), estaba limpio, caliente y no tuvimos problema con el agua caliente. We also loved the Aguas Calientes town, cute

Room Tip: We stayed in matrimonial superior room, but we did see the other rooms and they where very nice and...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2012

La Cabaña was a pleasant surprise for us. Though not super cheap, it's a deal for Aguas Calientes, and is cozy with a fantastic staff. The beds are fluffy and comfortable, the rooms clean and well appointed, and the free unlimited fruit and tea/coffee a welcome addition. Plus there's free wifi and many lovely communal spaces. It's on the main avenue and is easy to find and get to.

I'd enthusiastically recommend La Cabaña to anyone who's looking for something other than a hostel in Machu Picchu town

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the back of the hotel!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends