“Not Nice”

Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Aguas Calientes
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Not Nice”
Reviewed 13 October 2010

This hotel has big rooms, but the value proposal is not nice!. Lobby is a mess and hotel´s personnel, even though they try to be kind, is not well trained. The place is barely clean and should be cheaper!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Mountain View, California
Reviewed 12 October 2010

My travel agent booked this hotel for me. It is noticeably a newer hotel, and I don't expect much from a small town like this. However, the people who worked there really do not have any ideas at all! First of all, I was supposed to be picked up by the staff at the train station. I saw no one when I got out of the train late at night. Luckily, some other spanish speaking tourists were able to help me to locate my hotel. I got there and I was led to the room on third floor. OK. The room is clean, but the curtains are not big enough to cover the windows, so people can look inside if they want to. Then, there was no toiletry in the bathroom, except soap. So, I had to spent 2 soles to buy some shampoo to wash my hair. I was silly enough to bring my laptop, thinking that I will be spending most of my time online, reading about Machu Picchu. Guess what? The internet server was broken and they don't know when it would be fixed. Then, there is no safety storage for expensive items like this. So, I was very concerned. I didn't plan to bring my laptop to visit MP, so, I need to leave it with them. But, by then, I am not sure if I could trust them.

I asked for a morning call at 3:00 am so I can get in line for the Wayna Picchu hike. There was no morning call. Luckily, I set my alarm on my iPhone. The hotel manager was basically sleeping behind the counter.

Last but not least, this place is very noisy due to the construction materials. Everything is echo'ed through the atrium. Luckily, the front desk turned off all the TVs by 11:00 am for those who needs to wake up early.

All in all, for $55, I can definitely find a better place to stay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Aguas Calientes hotels

Stone Mountain, Georgia
Reviewed 27 June 2010

This hotel is by no means terrible but I think because it was booked through a tour company and the town of Aguas Calientes is so charming that my expectations were higher. The room is bare bones with a small tv and mini refrigerator. The bathrooms are nicer than the rooms and I never had a problem getting hot water. The decor is very dated and there is no storage space or closet which wasn't a big deal since I was in Aquas Calientes with minimal personals for just one night. My room had a window that faced the atrium but the drapes didn’t offer 100% privacy. My room was situated on the side that was nearest to the river which wasn't a problem yet for the noisy bird that must belong to the local residents next door I didn't get much sleep. This is likely a family run hotel. When I went down for breakfast there were two young children asleep on the lobby sofas. The breakfast buffet leaves a lot to be desired. I think juice, bananas, bread and bologna style meat and cheese is all that is offered. The staff didn't speak English but seemed pleasant. I would only recommend this hotel for trail hikers as it is decent for a quick rest stop and hot shower.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
montevideo
Reviewed 29 April 2010

After a very long day of exercise, hours of walking, climbing, stepping, we only wanted to take a bath, we had reserved a room with jacuzzi, and it was worth it!. We only went with backpacks and didn't bring the migration papers with us. The hotel decided to charge us for this U$S 10. After we laid down we needed some water and food! we couldn't find the minibar, there was no bottled water either. We went to the diner and they told us that they only had breakfast service, nothing else. So We had to go out in order to satisfy our needs.
This is a brand new hotel, the bed and bathroom are in perfect conditions. there was a flat TV also. but that was it. Nothing else. There was no safety box in the room, so we decided to ask the lady at the front desk, there is no safety box at all at the hotel!
The bathroom has shampoo, soap and body cream. there was no hair drier as I had to ask for one at the front desk.
the river is veryyy noisy and the hotel is located very near from it, for me it was beautiful, for my husband a little bit hard to get some sleep.
On the last day we wanted to make late check out, as we saw very few people at the hotel, we thought there would be no problem. Again they wanted to charge us for this, and we paid another U$S 10. When we wanted to pay with a 20 dollar bill they couldnt give us change, they ended up giving us half in soles and half in dollar bills I think it is not the money but the service the issue. They didn't do anything to satisfy the client.
Anyway I would recommend this hotel to people that knows these facts and know what to expect from it. hope this review helps! good luck!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Washington
Reviewed 7 July 2008

This is a brand new hotel in fact they are still working on the third floor. The construction is typical for the area....concrete, and sound from both the outside and inside is magnified making for a very noisy stay. After the first night we asked to be moved up a floor because of the noise......it only helped slightly. We came back from Machu Picchu that afternoon and they said they had to show us something in our room. We entered the room and it was a mess and then they said we had torn the bedspread and must pay for it. We absolutely did not leave it like that and figure that the staff had to have torn the spread and then they thought they could blame it on us and get us to pay up for it. I'm a 60 year old woman.....I don't behave like that! They finally confessed that they were "poor and it would come out of their pocket" so I guess they figured it was alright to blame someone else. When we came down the next morning the clerk was asleep in a sleeping bag behind the counter and breakfast was a bleak banana, juice, coffee, stale rolls, and some kind of pressed meat. Aguas Calientes is a pit but you can do better than this place!

• Liked — rooms were large and adequately clean
  • Disliked — Don't trust the staff
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family