Irocha
Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Ouarzazate
Reviewed 5 May 2016

I'm absolutely baffled at the (admittedly very rare) negative reviews here. Like most other visitors, I find Irocha a haven of peace and tranquility. I don't know how many nights I've stayed here in total, but I know it's a lot more than I originally planned. In truth, I'm finding it hard to leave! Ahmed (who grew up in this valley - the ruins of his grandfather's house can be seen across the river) is an absolute delight, knowledgable about all kinds of things and interested in absolutely everything. I've been with him (and often Catherine as well) to all kinds of places, from small Berber villages and Lac d'Ifni to short walks here in Tisselday. I've spent nine weeks in Morocco so far this year, and there's no doubt that this is the guesthouse I'd recommend first to anyone who asked. It's a home away from home.

I am not only vegan but very careful about the sourcing of food, too, and that is another reason why I love staying at Irocha. Ahmed and Catherine are both very health-conscious and interested in cooking. All fruits and vegetables (and presumably the meat, too) are sourced locally, with Ahmed himself going to the souks and farmers. He gets his dates from Agdz, more than two hours from here, because he believes they are the best quality and he can be sure they haven't been sprayed with pesticides. The food is delicious, and I'm always able to come with requests if I want something different.

The guesthouse itself is beautiful and a bit quirky. It's like a mix between a guesthouse and a boutique hotel, really. There are rocks everywhere - Ahmed is a trained geologist - including a collection of heart-shaped ones on the fireplace. There is a beautiful swimming pool, and several rooms and outdoor areas to hang out. Most of the rooms are spacious (two cheaper downstairs rooms are less so) and beautifully if simply decorated, all of them opening to the outside.

There are plenty of short walks to do directly from Irocha, on either side of the valley, and many others reachable by car. It's about three hours from Marrakech, so perfect if you want to break up your trip from there to the south, and much nicer than Ouarzazate (which is about an hour from here). There are some great local souks in the area (just ask Ahmed or Catherine), and a Berber village about an hour's drive up the mountain. Ait Ben Haddou is about 30-40min from here by car.

The easiest recommendation I could make for Morocco!

Room Tip: There are bigger rooms, with extra space for luggage storage etc, which are really nice.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends

Reviewed 23 April 2016 via mobile

Irocha is a beautiful and tranquil place for anybody interested in a quiet place after experiencing busy cities of morocco. The rooms, pool, or terrasse are extremely well kept and clean. Also breakfast was pretty standard moroccan, in a good way. Beware, there is a pretty steep and rocky road from the main road to the hotel. We would give this hotel 5 stars if it was possible to pay with card. It was not mentioned before that we couldnt pay by card, so if you dont count with it and have to use cash, it definitely does not please you. Otherwise, a great hotel which we would recommend.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2016

We stopped at Irocha, as many do travelling from the Sahara to Marrakech. For one night. And it was a beautiful location to spend the evening. Perched on the side of a beautiful valley with greenery running along the valley floor alongside the road.

Irocha itself is small, and as is traditional in Morocco, set around an internal courtyard that provides an oasis of quiet and calm, even when (as was the case when we visited) there are strong winds in the valley.

The hotel is small, and simple, but has a rustic charm that we found intoxicating. The place is run by an incredibly friendly staff - in a quiet and incredibly casual fashion. But still with a level of service and attention to detail that is often absent in European hotels.

For me though, what made Irocha special was not the excellent pool, which we did not use, but the hilltop Kasbah that sits atop the steep valley sides above Irocha. As soon as I was out of the Jeep I saw it, and wanted to walk to it. A short steep scramble later, and I was exploring an impressive ruin, with even more impressive views. Incredible.

Then back down to enjoy the simple but decent food, the comfortable and well appointed room, the polite and efficient service and the free wifi provided by Irocha.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DoctorDee69
Reviewed 17 February 2016

We stopped at Irocha on the way back to Marrakech for just one night unfortunately, but this was enough to gather the special energy that this place emanates.
In a few words I would describe it like that: exquisite rustic elegant simplicity!
Ahmed and his team manage to offer a warm refuge to those travellers passing by, mostly stopping just one night.
However, this is a place where, if I would have the option, I would choose to stay longer to absorb the good vibes that I felt when there: you can relax by the pool, plenty of walks, Ait ben Haddou is not far, etc.
Thanks for a short but very friendly stay!

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 February 2016

Destiny wanted us to stay at Ahmed's place. After our booking in another hotel was weirdly cancelled we asked our host in Essaouira for a last minute hotel recommendation in Aït Ben Hadou, she told us about Irocha and the warm hospitality of its owner. We got there the same day by bus, we asked the driver to drop us in Tisselday, which is a Berber village half an hour before Aït Ben Hadou, it was a beautiful night and not a soul in sight. We called Ahmed who picked us up in his car and in five minutes we were in Irocha. We felt at home as soon as we put our feet inside the gorgeous and warm common area. We were showed our room, cozy and beautifully decorated with local craftwork. We had then a really good dinner followed by a visit to the in-house hamman that the staff had ready for us. After a seven hour bus drive, we were in heaven!! The following two days Ahmed and Catherine took us to amazing places, we visited a gorgeous oasis surrounded by the most amazing landscape, we did a little hike and had a delicious salad under the mild February's sun, we were over the moon really. The day after we woke up early and taking advantage of the great weather we had some relaxing time at Irocha's swimming pool before going on that day's adventure. We then visited Telouet and its Kasbah, we were amazed by the beautiful surrounding valleys and mountains and later that day we walked impressive Aït Ben Hadou.
We loved every minute in Marrakech and Essaouira but staying in Irocha was undoubtedly the highlight of our trip. We are already planing to go back soon!
Thank you Ahmed and Catherine for everything!

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple