All reviews the ground floor heart dar rooftop morocco
Reviewed 4 October 2015

As soon as we booked this riad, we were emailed with details on our arrival. We were met at the airport, driven as far as a car was allowed and then met by Azziz and a cart for our luggage. We were given a tour of the property and shown our room. The rooms surround the open garden area. It is a completely different concept than a hotel room, but we soon got comfortable. The rooms are classic Morroccan style, simple, but adequate. We prearranged dinner for that evening and we chose to have it on the rooftop terrace, which was romantic and private. We ended up eating there two other nights, as it was so relaxing and the food was excellent. We felt a bit guilty making Azziz walk up there several times for each meal, but he repeatedly assured us, it was no problem at all. Every morning we were greeted by Mohammed and given perfect directions, a guide for pricing and many helpful tips for our stay. I have never been attended to by any consierge as well as this! The ladies in the kitchen fixed our meals whenever we wished and always with a smile. I had a cooking lesson while there and we ate my results that evening. We also used the Hamam in the sister riad and were walked there and back. I would not hesitate to recommend this riad to anyone who is looking for a relaxing and enjoyable stay.

Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2015

this now ranks as the most ridiculous hotel experience I've had.

I initially booked two nights, then had to rearrange my schedule and emailed weeks in advance. the email response was that they would pay me back for the 2nd night when I arrived. okay, whatever. but because it was eid last week, the owner sent his entire staff on a week long vacation. so first, when I arrived, there was no one to meet us at the gate of the medina and guide us to the hotel. my driver and I wandered around for like 10 minutes. when we got there finally, the owner - who I took for a caretaker because he seemed to not really know what he was doing - just started shrugging. sorry, sorry.

the first piece of business I had to take care of was they were supposed to refund me for the second night and he started shrugging again saying he didn't know anything about it, and the person who would, the receptionist, was on vacation, but he'd email her and maybe she'd get back to him. my driver took off.

I went to my room and asked about a map. no map, he said, use your phone, he said. okay. I asked about having dinner at the hotel which was my plan, but he explained the restaurant was closed because everyone was on vacation because of the holiday. I then asked about picking up a ticket for the bus to go to tangier the next day and he showed me on my phone map that it was over a mile away and he didn't know if they were open or closed... because it was the holiday (though the holiday for most people was only the weekend and this was a few days later). he didn't even offer to call and find out.

exasperated, I took a shower and when I came out he seemed to be in a better mood and handed me the cash for the 2nd night, then walked me around the block to where, surprise, there was a guy who sells the bus tickets, but he said he couldn't because now it was too late and I should just go to the station tomorrow. I asked what time, but they couldn't tell me. again, the owner was useless here. we walked back to the hotel and he handed me a delivery menu for a pizza restaurant as what I should do for dinner. I took a walk instead and found a place to eat on my own. I also decided I would just hire a grand taxi in the morning and get out of chefchauen. add to that there was a leak from the hot water heater which dropped water on your shoulder when sitting on the toilet, that the place overall was moderately clean and moderately run down as well, it was altogether a pretty bleak experience in chefchauen at the dar hannan.

p.s. - as other people have noted, the city is built on a hill and like an amphitheater you can hear noise from all over bounding around all hours of the night. I didn't care for chechauen at all. maybe for a 1/2 day visit to take pictures, but don't stay there or at least not at dar hannan.
I put it all on the owner. he can't run a hotel without a staff, and he seemed to shrug away (a lot of shrugging) that he's taking the same amount of money that he would when he has a full staff but giving me a crappy experience, he should himself have taken a week off or charged me a fifth of the full price. instead, I had to pay as much as other people here who have given this place a good rating and got zero service. maybe it's great when his staff is working, but you should make sure you don't come when it's just him. because he's not very good with taking care of his own place, and customers.

overall, I would just pick a different place that this. I wouldn't trust this guy to ensure you have a good stay, even with his staff.

Room tip: if you have to stay here, make sure the staff isn't on vacation.
Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank drbmbay
Reviewed 23 August 2015 via mobile

Very nice place, with afordable prices, very nice and helpfull hosts, placed in the heart of Medina with very nice rooms, a terrace with a spectacular view, wi-fi available. If you go to Chefchaouen stay here, i recomend it.

Date of stay: August 2015
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 August 2015

Great service and very helpful staff. Well located in the heart of the Medina.
Very nice riad with roof terasse and great view , small swiming "space" for the kids. Very nice breakfest served like at home . We enjoyed our stay .
PS : Antonio ( the owner ) you should absolutly quit smoking inside the riad ;-)

Date of stay: July 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2015 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay here! The rooms are beautifully decorated and affordable. Everything is kept very clean, it is the perfect place to relax and is located in the centre of the city. The owner is very helpful and friendly. I would especially recommend this hotel for couples or anyone who wants to book accomodations in morocco with european/north american standards. I love it here!!!

Date of stay: July 2015