“Comfortable and reasonable”

Laguna Redang Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Pulau Redang
Reviewed 19 March 2008

Laguna Redang has just started to operate on 22nd February 2008 since it was closed due to monsoon season last year. I was there on 23rd February 2008 with my boyfriend for the second time and it cost us only RM 388 per person for 3 Days 2 Nights Pool View accommodation + 2 Days Breakfast, 2 Lunch and 2 Dinner inclusive of a BBQ Dinner. The main reason why we stayed there is due to comfortable accommodation, friendly staffs and strategic location with a great view of beach. The area of improvement shall only be on the buffet line as replenishment of food wasn't that consistent. The room rate is lower compared to now as it is still slighty wavy when we were there but we couldn't blame on anyone about that. It would be a great resort to stay at if you love to keep yourself tanned while reading a book and listen to the sound of waves during low period. Other than that, do bring along sport shoes if you love jungle tracking or jungle walking as the resort do have such activities at a minimum cost.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Jennifer7808
There are newer reviews for Laguna Redang Island Resort

Reviewed 28 February 2008

We 4 person go to LAGUNA REDANG RESORT from Indonesia.
We buy a Laguna package with Indonesia travel agent.
We buy airasia ticket from Medan-KL-Terengganu. After reached the Jetty and waiting for a boat to Laguna, the laguna staff at the jetty said we cannot go to laguna redang because of the billows.
Then they told us to go back and claim back our voucher with our travel agent. Just like that!!!! Nothing we can do they said.(our ticket from terengganu to kuala lumpur automaticly wasted). They give us alternative to stay at terengganu 1 day at our expense. But they cannot guarantee we depart the next day. So what we supposed to do. Come on Laguna, at least provide us 1 night stay at terengganu!!!!!!!!!!!
After a mayor dissapointing, we try to fly to kuala lumpur,but all fully book that day.
Then we go to bus station, and once again its fully book. After a long searched,we finally found a bus from terengganu to kuantan,then from kuantan to kuala lumpur. What a journey? Thanks for Laguna Redang for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What i pity was, why Laguna Redang Resort sell a packages,then when something like that happened they just dont care where are came from,how tired are you,how disspaointed are you. Just go back where you buy your packages and claim that!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing we can do to comfort you!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
6  Thank gomed
Reviewed 26 October 2007

After asking many local friends and researching through reviews, I finally decided to book Laguna Redang... mostly because people said it's the "newest" resort in Redang.

Beach quality is good. Sand is great. Weather is great. The staff of Laguna Redang were nice, especially the Filipino staff. Unfortunately, I would say that the experience -- from getting there to getting a room, to "rationing lunch like soldiers" experience will NOT make me go back. Even if it was free, I will not go back. The far trip was not worth it.

We took Air Asia going to Kuala Terangganu. Then a bus ride, then a boat ride. Man, it was long and tiring. Then when we got there, the rooms were not ready. We had to wait for 12 noon exact before you can get lunch, and you had to line up and show your coupon (like soldiers rationed food).

I guess I was expecting more out of the place. I didn't like the fact that I had to go all the way to the swimming pool area to get a towel and a cushion for the beach beds. I had to sign for it and if I didn't return by 7pm they will "penalize" with payment.

I don't want to complain too much, but honestly, i think the problem lies with the MANAGEMENT of the place. Otherwise, for PEOPLE OUT THERE who are looking for an affordable getaway at a nice beach, please go ahead and go to Laguna Redang. 1st time experience is okay... but I don't think we will go back.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank PinkAddict
Reviewed 30 September 2007

Paid RM 338 per person for
2 nights/ 3days in garden view
2 breakfasts/2 lunches/ 2 dinners- all buffet
3 snorkelling trips ( marine park fee(RM5) & equipment (RM10 a day extra)
Return ferry transfer from Mering Jetty

We were already staying on Redang in a small independant place RIGHT ON THE BEACH ( Redang Lagoon Chalet) for RM100 a night ( room only- queen bed, 2 singles, 3 balconies with direct beachfront views, aircon, fan, bathroom (cold water only) We wanted some "luxury" so walked into Laguna and asked about prices.

There are hordes of people! We had the beach to ourselves pretty much until 4.30pm everyday, then the tours would cease. The snorkelling out the front of Laguna is not worth it, in front of Redang Laggon Chalet was better.

Meals were nothing to write home about.

Rooms were nice, we were originally given a room next to the rec centre, which can get pretty noisy ( we had eaten in the cheap food court when not on a package) so asked for another, 531, alot quieter. I dont think the seaview rooms would be worth the extra, they are also located next to the lobby/eating/bars etc so could be noisy, although doors seem well insulated.

I also went on my first snorkelling trip with 100+ people ( in low season!!) the visability was poor, the coral below average, I was the first in the water and the fish swam away once more people arrived. I didnt bother with the other 2 trips. I spoke to other people and they said they were worse.

My partner is a diver, he paid RM155 for a dive package ( not including equipment, RM45 a day) he said the resort dive centre were unprofessonial, equipment not working properly, and one dive they were dropped by the boat in a very strong current and made to swim againist it for the pick up point. On this dive there were 20 people with 3 dive masters, and half the group got lost. He said dives were about 3-5 out of 10.

I would not really recommend it. The hotel itself is okay, but the crowds just ruin it, and your going for the "sights" afterall most of the time. Maybe smaller operations may take guests out to places were everyone else doesnt go. We had spent 10 days in the Prehentian Islands before this and although alot more rustic ( maybe 3 good resorts, mostly clean guesthouses) the underwater and on land sights were far superior.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lost_nomads
Reviewed 29 August 2007

I went to this resort with a feeling that something bad will happen .. considering what i read from the review! but boy was i mistaken!

26 August 07

Arrive from LCCT with airasia around 8.30 in the morning.. Was looking for anyone from the resort greeting me (having made the transportation arrangement directly to the hotel).. found the Laguna counter at the very small airport. Then was directed to a waiting bus outside the kuala terengganu airport (new terminal in contruction)

After waiting for a short while the bus started it journey we. Arrive at the jetty and waited for another 20 minutes to board the ferry. Our bag was cheked in seperatly so you dont have to carry the bag on the ferry by yourself.. (you can collect your bag after getting the room key)..

The journey will take 45min to an hour... overall a smooth ride. We (4 of us... including my parents) arrive at the resort own jetty around 11.00a.m.. were given a lenghty briefing by a very friendly PR person about what we will expect during our 3 D 2N Stay (ther were 50 of us in that ferry)

Were taken to the resort by a tram (it is a short distance to the resort from the jetty). Welcome drinks were given by the welcoming party (the drinks are LOVELY). Then we proceed to registration, confirmation on return arrangement and equipment rental. and waited for almost an hour for lunch at 1pm. This waiting time allow us to really appreciate the lovely view from the lobby... yes it can be hot! Well this is a tropical island for God sake! Enjoy the heat!

Lunch was served at a beautiful open restaurant above the lobby... another great view... food was OK they have a good selection for a start.

The we check in and collect my room keys... requested 2 of our rooms to be closer and manage to get that too.. Our ocean view room was in block 3. Well one of the room has a partial view of the ocean as it was blocked by the building (room 301) but the advantage og this room is it has the nearest access to the lobby and a great view of the pool.. so all is not lost

After a short rest.. we proceed to go snoorkeling.. Everyone in our group is a firsttimer. And all the recreation staff are very helpfull in helping us during the activities. (a briefing was given before every journey).. my mom was having some dificulties during the snoorkeling and was promptly assisted by the logistic and recreation crew. I was personally brought by the staff to several area which has a lot of the nemo fish. On my first snoorkel i saw a huge garoupas and a very huge sea cucumber crawling on the sea bed... the water current was pretty strong so make sure you dont venture far from the boat.

Buffet BBQ dinner was served on my first day there.. Live performances by the resident artist was good... Summer Holiday by Cliff Richard was perform quite well by the singer... Cocktail and mocktail is reasonably price.. and the full moon when I was there just make the momment just unbelievable.

My second day when perfect as well.. went snoorkeling at the marine park (amazing photo ops here.. especially with the giant eel and a HUGE garoupa!) at 9.30 am .Saw the Dori (in finding nemo) here too.. but beware this fishes are quiet lively.. A huge yellow fish with a huge set of teeth playfully bit my mom!... LOL..

Another snookeling session was held at 2.30 pm... another great site.. LOTS of fish.. after a great snookeling session i recommend all of you to try the marvellous ABC at the tupai bar.. try the sea coconut ABC... it is just refreshing!

My mom went for a massage that nite... A nice way to wind down. Me and my dad played pool in the recreation area... Again their staff a great talk buddy if you feel your nite is a bit boring... but they have a good disco there too.

Went for a morning swim in the sea infront of the resort on my last day ther.. Suprisingly there are alots of fish there also!.. Checked out at 11am... spend time at the lobby, shopping for souvenir at more more inn tea and had a great juices in the island bar before boarding a 1pm ferry back to mainland

As my flight is at 9 (and was delayed till 10!) we were brought to a transit point in kuala terengganu.. how thoughtful of them! we dont have to wait in the airport for our flight... Here you can go shopping in the town before you will be transported back to the aiport promptly at 7.

All in all the vacation i had here is INCREDIBLE!

just make sure you know when to come... AVOID Malaysian or Singaporean school holiday.. Coz i just cant imagine my holidaying with another 1200 holiday maker in the same time (that is what the staff say what the resort will have in their peak season)

The staff is so friendly and helpfull!... thanks to mawi ( a logistic crew) which is agreat help to us during our stay,

I will definitly come again in the future!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
2.3 km away
Redang Derimba
Redang Derimba
#5 of 27 in Kuala Terengganu

Been to Laguna Redang Island Resort? Share your experiences!