Laguna Redang Island Resort
US$151
US$130
  • Pool
Delima Redang Resort(Pulau Redang)
US$60
  • Beachfront
Redang Island Resort(Pulau Redang)
US$83
  • Restaurant
US$300
US$186
Savings alert! 24% below average rates

The price you found is 24% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$244/night.

D'Coconut Lagoon(Pulau Lang Tengah)
US$109
US$50
US$77
US$68
1,080 results
All reviewslaguna redangmarine parksnorkeling tripsfishopen seapool viewunderwater photographydeluxe packagelunch and dinnersummer holidaylive bandfull board packagebuffet restaurantbeautiful beachchinese touristsschool holidayshotel lobby
Reviewed 15 April 2012

The good...
We liked the deluxe room, clean and nicely decorated. Food average, there are some local Malaysian dishes which are pretty good. At night it's quite vibrant compared to nearby resorts, Bars, karaoke, souvenir shop operating nearby.

The not so good
Too crowded. There was a steady flow of china tourist all day everyday. Some of them tend to be too noisy at breakkie/lunch/dinner, pool, bar, beach, everywhere near the resort. It feels like you're in the chaotic traffic jam of kuala lumpur during the peak hours.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank kelvinnmandy
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I have been to Laguna a couple of times. All times with family (older teens and adults) and have always taken the full board packages including meals and snorkelling trips for convenience n money's worth. I have always loved it till last year in August when we decided to grab last minute bookings to go during the 31st August Merdeka break for 4D3N. I am sending this review 8 months down the line, so excuse me if there isn't detailed information.

It was a bad idea on our part to go during the August holidays (it was also school holidays) - we had the impression that it was toward the end of peak season (in the east coast - although the laguna adverts seem to suggest that peak season goes on for longer!) The resort was too crowded! Most of the guests were Chinese - particularly from China. Now, I do not have problem with Chinese people, only ill mannered chinese people.

All our meals were buffet style and as there was a tremendous volume of people - families with children etc, naturally we had to queue and wait our turn. But these Chinese do not follow a queue system and shamelessly cut the queue time and again. It was too crowded and by our 3rd meal, we just got tired with the 'fight for food' and just satisfied ourselves with a plate or two. Further, a lot of food goes to waste as guests were loading their plates as if there is no tomorrow and most of the food goes to waste. The management should ensure that these people are charged for wastage!

Our snorkelling trips were equally hampered terribly due to these Chinese tourists - entire families including grandmothers with walking sticks (who weren't intending to snorkel) flocked the boats and we travelled in four boats in the hundreds! Again, no queue system was adhered to. Some of them even sat on the stairs of the boat and the edges of the boat without entering the sea and those behind could not get off the boat !! I was told by the boatman to jump off from a corner of the boat althought there were people sat blocking the edge of boat !! Local boatmen could not contain the chinese crowd or get them to move off the edge and even said "Kalau orang Cina datang, habis lah kita. Ikan pun dah takut" . He was right. The fish definitely were scared off - there were barely any compared to my previous trips! To top that other resorts were taking their guests to the same locations to snorkel at the SAME time!. Bit stupid that the resorts don't cross check the times. We had one snorkel trip in the morning, one in the afternoon.

I was lucky as I got to know my boatman who guided me away from the crowds and the boats across to the other side of the island - we saw some amazing corals and sea life a little far away from the crowds.

Note: the resort charges for lifejacket - bit ridiculous really given the fact that all boats should have lifejackets in order to go out to sea. But it wasn't much RM15-RM20 (if I'm not mistaken). So keep your lifejackets till end of trip. otherwise u could be asked to pay again! Snorkel gear also for hire (we always take ours along , so that didn't matter).

Due to these tourists, we even had to go through an elongated briefing each time we went out for the snorkel trips. Part in Mandarin / Cantonese and part in bad English. Almost did my head in! I don't know if the briefing was a new thing set up recently, but they need to do away with it!

Now, cons aside, let me get down to the best bits about Laguna.

BEACH: In one word, the sea/beach is GORGEOUS !! One of the best in east coast of peninsular (with Perhentian Bubu Long being only rival). And I would suggest if one goes during peak season (or when crazy chinese tourists are around), stick to snorkelling by the shore. Blue green waters, black yellow fish, lots of anchovies right by the shore - really beautiful.

Tip: Take bread with you, the fish will come in droves! One early morning , I went out when it was quiet, and spotted so many different types of fish by the shore and some were real big too - of course, I had my bait with me - bread! (presume the fish are starved in the morning cos I saw more than I did late in the evenings).

POOL: The pool at Laguna is really big and clean and real nice as well, but I'm more of a sea person. Lots of sun beds, real comfy for lounging about.

Rooms: Clean, spacious, very comfy! Definitely 4 star quality. White sheets, towels, all basic amenities provided.

Bathrooms: Separated shower, loo, sink, a little tight in terms of space - there was 3 of us to a room so one can imagine the toiletries we had! But still very clean and nice with pebbled stones.

Food: Widespread of western and asian food at buffet, but average, after awhile can become repetitive with similar food being served, so don't stay more than a week!

Staff: Friendly, housekeeping very accomodating, generally had no issues as rooms were top notch most of the time. Staff smiling - so important at resorts. Accomodating at buffet (esp given crowd) when we requested for extra teabags as tea served was weak.

If it wasn't for the rubbish Chinese crowd, I'd say we had a good stay. it is a good hotel with average food and a gorgeous beach. Unfortunately, these uncultured, ill mannered people messed up our stay and our snorkelling trips.

Suggestion: The resort should put a cap on the number of people they take out to sea for snorkel/dive trips at a time (like they do in Sabah). The poor corals!

Room Tip: Sea view/pool view rooms are good!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank isla_vp
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We stayed there for a week and the resort is nice and the beach is really beautiful. However, I just want to share things that I have expereinced in this resort.

- majority of the guests are Chinese and the hotel was nearly full although it was a low season.
- lining up for food all the time as most packages will include all the meals in this buffet restaurant.
- someone trying to cut the queue all the time
- many people put loads of food and fruit in their big plate and didn't finish half of it. What a waste!
-someone spit in the pool with really harsh sound. We didn't swim in the pool after that.
-people smoke everywhere in the pool

If you are ready for these, you will be ok as the beach is really nice.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank JPSingapore
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I can't really say it was average, and I can't say it was very good. But I can put down the facts and let you decide for yourself as you may not have issue with some of the circumstances.

a) If you have a young family, and need to secure a "cot" for an baby, then you may struggle. When we booked, I was told "ring us back 2 days before to confirm". This wasn't really ideal, as I needed to know prior to arriving if my child would have a place to sleep. After much back and forward discussion, I eventually got the cot confirmed in writing, despite the hotel telling me my child could with my wife and I if there was no cot available.

b) No wifi is available at the resort, even though it says it is. It was there, but not working.

c) We booked the "Premier Sea View room". This is one of the higher priced rooms. Oddly enough they gave us an upstairs room, even though they knew we had a 3 month year old baby with us. Made for fun getting up and down with a stroller!

d) The band playing at the beach side bar was loud. Loud enough to keep me awake at night. Perhaps they should advertise the "Premier Sea View room" with free music until late.............

e) Snorkeling trip was very over rated. We had 4 boats which makes for about 100 people. It was messy getting in and out. Very few fish, as they don't want to be bothered with so many people splashing around. Interestingly, they make you hire a life vest for the boat. This is unusual, as you cant operate a boat unless you supply your passengers with a life vest. Makes a good scam if you ask me. At 15RM a shot, they make their money back on the "Free snorkeling" trips.

d) They lost our bag when transferring to the airport. They got it back within 1 hour to their credit.

e) Pool bar is not open until 3:30pm which is odd and they don't serve alcohol which is even more odd.

f) You can get alcohol and cocktails from the beach side bar, but only after 5pm. Not sure why this is as the beach is swarming with people who would love a cocktail.

g) The pool side bar makes great milk shakes. Cheap too. (only 8RM each)

h) The waiting staff in the restaurant are excellent. We commented to the manager also. They work hard and care. If you get stuck, ask for "Mr Magic". He makes things happen. Even when someone tells you they can't do something, he makes it happen.

Over all, it was a nice place to visit, and our room was very clean.
We had a nice time, but wouldn't rate this as the best place to stay in Redang. It has a very nice beach. Some of the best waters in Asia for sure.

Room Tip: Premier Sea View room is nice, but ask to be located away from the main building! Pool view is also nice as we had friends who stayed there. Make sure you specify if you want an upstairs room or not. There are no lifts from what I could see.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Gracie2307
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We took the 3D/2N package which took care of everything. Room, food and 3 snorkelling trips. That is all we needed.

Once you arrive at the jetty, you will be greeted at the arrival hall for a briefing. I was a bit puzzled why we needed briefing but later found out it was a good idea as the resort is huge and there are many tourists arriving each day so it is a good way to keep everyone informed.

Check in was easy and didnt take too long. The room might not be ready if you are arriving earlier than 2pm but you can enjoy the buffet lunch first while waiting. And the buffet lunch and dinner was great. Lots of selection although mainly asian with salad, pasta, grill lamb and beef. There were lots of guests but they keep repleneshing the food so thats awesome.

We stayed in deluxe room and it was good. Snorkelling trips are well arranged so you just have to turn up at the specified time. There might be a lot of people on the trips but hey, the ocean is wide enough to take in all of them so no worries for me :) For those who enjoy peace and quite, should head to Perhentian. Redang is really for those who wants a convenient, quick and beautiful beach holiday.

The beach front of the resort is also beautiful and i totally enjoyed swimming in it. Strangely enough, it doesnt feel crowded even though there are many guests in the resort and i only see them during lunch/dinner buffet time. The pool is great too!

Room Tip: Go for Deluxe room. Standard room i heard is ....well, standard.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends