All reviews rooftop restaurant great rooftop bar one night western style food included breakfast nasi lemak limited choice sea view budget hotel lin bath waterfront kettle
Reviewed 11 December 2015

This hotel is situated just at the bus station where in you can get buses (or taxi ) to almost all locations . Rooms are quiet and basic. A sea view room is better , you get to see the sunset from the window itself. You get taxi just at the door step of the hotel.The staff is friendly.Street markets are near by.Very near to the river side restaurants , shopping malls.

We faced issue with the air conditioning in the room , it takes lot of time to cool the room.

Overall experience was good.

Date of stay: December 2015
1  Thank Poulomi13
Reviewed 22 September 2015

when we came in it looked like we had found the worst hotel ever
but the rooms were quit okay for what we expected
loud music all the time
bar upstairs is kinda nice but doesn't look like the pictures, at night it is better
have to admit that it still is the best hotel in sandakan, as the city is dirty
you should'nt go at all to sandakan
only wifi in the lobby and the bar

Date of stay: September 2015
2  Thank caroline d
Reviewed 20 September 2015

We had seen good reviews about this hotel and so decided it would be a good spot (particularly the roof top bar!) to stay overnight before heading on our tour the next day.
Yes there is construction happening at the hotel, and we werent told in any communications, but it didnt affect us. The room was a good size, it was basic but had everything we needed.
The rooftop bar was a great addition and fun to be overlooking the city, but dont get too excited about the cocktails on offer - they are good but not as amazing as some reviews would have you believe. They didnt have a few key ingredients for a couple of the cocktails we asked for, and didnt have the beers in the menu so be prepared for that!

We have no complaints as it was a great location and comfortable bed, but just don't expect too much and you will be fine!

Date of stay: September 2015
Reviewed 6 September 2015

I stayed here for one night, arriving from KL and going to Sukau the next day. I chose this hotel because of the good review in Lonely Planet Guide ed. 2013 but I cannot imagine it would get the same review today. First of all, construction works were carried out on the building, none of which was mentioned in confirmation of my reservation. Hallway and staircases were under repair, ceilings laying open with plumbing and electrics visible, room was dusty (no wonder) and had nothing of the "nice monochromatic colour schemes with hints of East Asian and Borneo-inspired design flairs" (quote Lonely Planet). Secondly, the next morning a transfer to Sukau was arranged at 08.00 so I needed to have breakfast as soon as restaurant was open at 07.30. However no kitchen staff was there at 07.30. After much deliberation, some-one hastily heated up two croissants, but microwaved them so severely they arrived two floppy buns soaking in fat. I did receive a 10 percent discount when I complained, and somebody handed me a precooked american (?) breakfast while I was on my way out the door (no time left to eat it) but it was just a very unpleasant stay and no breakfast is just terrible. Balin rooftop restaurant has a nice view, but can't make up for all of the above.

Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 27 August 2015

The hotel is apparently one of the oldest in Sandakan and is currently undergoing a refurbishment.

The check in staff were very helpful, even although I only arrived late at night - well after 22:00.

The room itself was small, but had everything you need - bed was clean and comfortable and had a good warm shower.

One of the walls had a bit of paint peeling off and the 'sea view' wasn't quite ocean but a rather oblique view of the harbour - I think?

Breakfast is included and is served on the roof - which was really nice. The food and service at the restaurant were both great. I was only there for one night - but apparently it's a great spot for drinks in the evenings - and with the view I'll definitely believe it.

The hotel is about 30 minutes out from the airport, and if memory serves correctly I paid RM50 for the taxi as the hotel doesn't do any airport transfers.

Definitely not a bad budget option to spend a night or two in Sandakan.

Date of stay: August 2015