All reviews rock house boat house flying fox eagle view fish honesty bar twin peaks laid back giant squirrel the dragon mosquito net long jetty monkeys jumping the south china sea on the rocks star luxury black tip sharks
Reviewed 7 July 2017

Our second visit to Bagus was as wonderful as our first. Greeted like old friends by Eric, he and the other staff made us feel welcome from the get-go. We stayed in Big Chief chalet in the rainforest and overlooking the beach... being this close to nature does mean occasional visits from local wildlife, especially monkeys, but you soon learn to keep your food locked away. For us this is part of the charm. Hearing nothing but the waves, the sounds of the jungle and a boat passing about once an hour, this is a real retreat. We wandered to the nearby waterfall through the village, and spent our time lazing and snorkelling. The kids (12 and 9) were device free and spent the entire time climbing the big rocks and making sand castles. We saw several turtles straight off the beach and jumping off the pier was a joy. Swimming from the beach was no problem at high tide, and the highlight was snorkelling with the multitude of black tip reef sharks that are fed with leftovers from the kitchen every evening. Food was plentiful and tasty and home style - don't expect fancy cuisine, but the restaurant staff are lovely, and the fact that everyone eats together means that conversations with other guests are often struck up.
The bar on the pier is a delight, and open until the last guest leaves, and Eric, as well as being a master cocktail maker, excelled himself with a four hour game of monopoly with our kids one lazy afternoon. A wonderful four days, utterly relaxing and beautiful. Thanks to all the staff, especially Eric who has a gift for making guests feel at home. We will be back!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank kirstyg652
Aliza S, Manager at Bagus Place Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2017

Dear Kirsty G

Thank you very much for such a great review! Everyone is at their best because we are blessed with the best guest! And yes, our monkeys can be a little cheeky at times, but once you get the flow, its pretty easy to control them.

we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and i made sure that Eric got the recognition he deserved. he was really happy to see your review.

Hope to see you again soon. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest.

Best Regards,

Ziah Dolbari (on behalf of Manager (Ms.Sara)

Reviewed 5 July 2017

This resort is on a small, beautiful stretch of beach on Tioman Island, only accessible by speedboat from the Genting ferry landing. All of the staff were there when you needed them, but left you to privacy if you wanted. Their manner was friendly, helpful and very relaxed. We stayed in the Treehouse, which was great. The snorkeling trip to Ringiss (sp?) island was some of the best snorkeling we have ever done. We highly recommend this resort. We accessed WTS travel in Singapore for bus and ferry, round trip. It was easy (even going through customs and immigration from Singapore to Malaysia and back).

Room Tip: all rooms are great- the treehouse was really fun
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kMorky
Aliza S, General Manager at Bagus Place Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2017

Greeting from Bagus Place Retreat! Thank you for your review and for choosing our humble piece of paradise. I’m sure our entire resort staff enjoyed catering to your needs as much as you enjoyed your stay. We are really glad that you managed to hop to Renggis Island and said hello to our marine life friends. On behalf of the team, we look forward to welcoming you back to our resort in the future :)

Reviewed 25 May 2017

it's my first time in Tioman island and what a wonderful natural concept at Bagus Place Retreat, the food was awesome, warm welcomed and friendly staff. next trip i will spend my time more than a week to this place. cant wait to share my experience and back again to Bagus Place Retreat

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Manager_BagusPlace, General Manager at Bagus Place Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2017

Dear Tude B, Greeting from Bagus Place Retreat! Thank you for your positive comments. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! I'm sure our entire resort staff enjoyed catering to your needs as much as you enjoyed your stay. On behalf of the team, we look forward to welcoming you back to our resort in the future :)

Reviewed 24 May 2017

My friend and I stayed at Bagus Place Retreat from 15 - 17 May 2017. We had a very memorable stay, great food, great friends and great experience. Can't wait to tell all of my friends to have the same experience too... Bagus Place Retreat is the best place to get away fro your daily routine. I will be back for sure!

Kindest regards,

Erwin Rachman

Room Tip: All challets come with great view. If there is an option, boat house is the preffered one.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends

Dear Erwin, Greeting from Bagus Place Retreat! Thank you for choosing our retreat, and for taking the time to write a review! Our retreat aims to provide a truly unique experience, and we are thrilled that we were able to give you a pleasant experience with us. On behalf of the team, we look forward to welcoming you back to our resort in the future.

Reviewed 27 April 2017 via mobile

We have stayed 3 nights at Bagus in a rainforest cabin. We were not very lucky with the ferryschedule, so we had only 2 full days to spend at the resort.

The cabin was good. Everything you needed was there, but nothing more. A good bed and working airconditiong is most important to us, they were there. You can sleep with the sound of nature. The patio outside was really nice as well! The only things I missed was a chair in the living room and an extra towel for my long hair. But, I have not requested for one. It would probably be possible to get one extra.

The surroundings, the nature and the resort jetty that makes it possible to have an easy acces to the water with its coral and fish are amazing! Also the view on the island with its mountains from the jetty is really special. This is THE reason you book this retreat. We loved it.

Staff were relaxed and friendly. Breakfast and lunch (lunch is not included in the price) were good. The main thing we were less happy about was dinner. I have to say, I'm not an easy eater. But we have been 3 weeks in Malaysia and food and drinks were great! But there was not much choice at Bagus, the food got cold very quick and I just did not like a lot of dishes I do like normally. The exception is the vegetable soup on the evening we arrived, that one I really liked.

I think the price is kinda high. I understand the exclusivity of a small resort in these surroundings is a big part of the price. But I think that lunch and more, warm and good dinner options should be included.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Madelon H
Manager_BagusPlace, Director of Sales at Bagus Place Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2017

Dear Madelon,

Greetings from Bagus Place Retreat! Thank you for your kinds words and the time you took to share this with us. It is great to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Rest ensured, that we will take your comments for further encouragement within the team to ensure personal service and hospitality to be better than before. Be informed, that we will also enhance our menu in the coming weeks thanks to your constructive comment. On behalf of the team, we look forward to welcoming you back to our resort in the future. :)