All reviewsboat houseflying foxtree houseeagle viewfishtwin peakshonesty barlaid backgiant squirrelthe dragonlong jettymonkeys jumpingthe south china seastar luxuryblack tip sharkslittle piece of paradiseboat ride
Reviewed 12 October 2011

My partner and I spent a week at Bagus Place in September. We had a great time and were quite sad to leave!

The one outstanding memory we both have is of the staff who were all exceptionally friendly and helpful. Anish and Krishna were always on hand with advice and tips and work very hard to deliver the experience we are all looking for when we book something like Bagus. The evening meals (buffet style) were always a highlight. Always fresh, tasty and original, this is something we will miss! Breakfast and lunch were somewhat basic but nevertheless acceptable and due to the 'cut off' nature of the retreat supplies are not always easily available. There is not a great deal to do in the area but then if it's action you're after then you shouldn't be here. It was great just to laze around, go for walks, read, relax, snorkel etc and be fed in between! There were some great little touches added by the staff to spice things up. The nightly ritual to the end of the jetty with the evening meal's remains to feed the fish was always fun. Watching the sharks feed on the fish was even more fun!

The chalets are basic but well equipped. We had Eagle View, the largest of the six, and we were very happy with all aspects. The maids are great and really go above and beyond. The gap where the wall doesn't quite meet the ceiling is a little disconcerting - I was half expecting to wake up one morning with a monkey next to me in bed! The wildlife in general is exceptional and one of the great memories of the place. However, neither of us saw a turtle in the whole week we were there which was unbelievable to the other guests who were seeing them daily!

There is a resort being built not far down the beach which, although had bothered some reviewers, did not bother us. How this resort will affect the overall experience of the Bagus visitor remains to be seen. I'm sure the owners are holding their breaths. Tioman is opening up to the world so these developments are to be expected.

Overall a great stay and very happy with everything. I suspect Bagus may not represent complete value for money which is the only less positive comment I would make. Some may agree, some may not. Don't be put off though, this is a very special place and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Only spent two days in mid-September, but I wish it was more. The resort is set in a stunning location. Food was fantastic and the accomodations were quite nice. Snorkeling off the jetty was pretty good -- lots of marine life, good variety, but the coral is not in the best condition. However, for someone who has only snorkeled in the Caribbean it offered several new species to view, and the water temperature was perfect.

Bagus Place is an easy trip from Singapore or JL via Berjaya Air. It is a great escape if you want to relax for a few days. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank ellamadison
Reviewed 24 September 2011

You've probably read all the glowing reports and they all correct so I am not going repeat - just book it and have the most amazing time of your lives! Below is just a bit of practical info for your trip.(hot tip - Berjaya air - hot on the 10kg!! )
Book early - we booked 11 months in advance
Be prepared to get wet feet when you get there depending on what the tide is doing
Ask the guys in the resturant to let you know when they are feeding the fish after evening meal at the end of the jetty - you might get to see the sharks!!!
Remember trips are weather/transfer dependant - don't go sorting out your trips before you go - they only have the one boat!!
Wear easy shoes to slip on and off - shoes off in rooms and public areas(sand!!)
Go with the flow - the supply boat only comes in so often so if run out of a certain product it may not be replaced straight away
If you walk to the village/water fall the first bit is tough - especially if it has been raining. It isn't the most pretty of walks especially as they are putting an new road going in and it can get abit boggy - if you want to go to the water fall(which is fab) get the guys to drop you off at the village and walk from there - alot easier
We had alot of cloud and fab tropical storms but of course still hot!!
The new build is not really impacting - yes you can see it from the end of the jetty but not from the beach - you can't really hear it as all you can hear is the sound of the sea - especially if you stay in the Boat House or the Rock House!!!
Treat as a home - no does and don't notices, no locks on doors - relax - its Bagus time!!!

Room Tip: Boat house - watch the steps - very steep and when the tide is in it sounds like you can float off!! Uneven steps to most properties - all rooms very quirky and rustic - no air-con but fans and mosi nets and all rooms come with pet gecko's to eat the mosi's!!!!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank westcountryyokel
Reviewed 10 September 2011

My husband and I stayed in the "flying fox" room in June this year. We had been touring around Malaysia and had decided to splash out on staying at Bagus for my birthday.
The appraoch to the complex is an awesome view of the mountains behind but we were surprised at how small the "complex" was, the beach in front of the restaurant is very limited. You are allowed to walk up the beach past the building site next door, but thats definately not relaxing, and make no mistake you CAN without a doubt hear the building works from the bar area of the complex. There was a bulldozer there when we were, which may have been for a limited time? Prior to arriving at Bagus we got and email stating everyone who had stayed had been asked if they had been disturbed by the noise, and no one had said yes. We wern't asked when we left.
I am a vegetarian and felt I was not catered for very well at all, breakfast and lunch were fine, but as there was not a vast choice of food on the evenings I found it a struggle. We spent four nights there and there was only one night I was given a seperate veggie option. We did not go on the trip to the waterfalls as the sea was too choppy for the boat to dock, but we did the trip to the snorkelling site which was very nice and jam packed with colourful fish and corals.
I am a vegetarian and was not catered for very well, especially considering a member of the staff is vegan! I do not consider rice and cabbage a meal, maybe thats just me?
The complex was full every night while we were there and there was alot of kids, which dont get me wrong I love kids, just not when Ive booked a stay that was billed as romantic retreat.
There were good parts, we saw a turtle while snorkelling in the bay, and a solitary monkey (as we'd been to bako this was a bit of a dissapointment), overall not worth the money. Weve been to far better places for alot less money
On the approach to the complex we passed Jampamala which looks amazing

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank globaltraveller08
Bagus_Place, Owner at Bagus Place Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2011

Thank-you for your review. I will pass on your feedback regarding vegetarian food to our chef. As dinner is served buffet-style we always have at least one vegetarian dish as part of the buffet, though may not necessarily cook a separate meal for our vegetarian guests. As you had also told us you eat fish, there may not have been such a wide range of vegetarian options on nights when fish was offered.

Bagus Place is less of a "complex" and more of a small retreat, with just six chalets and only accessible by boat. We do welcome families and couples and solo travellers, and believe there's enough space for everyone to have a peaceful and relaxing stay in wonderful surroundings.

The wildlife with whom we share Bagus Place can't be relied upon to be appear in great numbers or at exactly the right moment, but we are pleased you were able to have the very special experience of seeing a turtle while you were snorkelling.

Reviewed 27 August 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our time at Bagus Place. We had a friendly greeting from Alfred at the airport, followed by an exciting speedboat ride to the resort - what a fantastic start to a holiday! What followed was a week of swimming, snorkelling, jetty-jumping, eating, drinking and generally lazing about and chilling out. Even our son tripping over a tree root and fracturing his elbow did not spoil the holiday, as he still managed the walk up the waterfall and go snorkelling at Ringgis Island! Thanks to all at Bagus Place for a wonderful time.

Room Tip: All accommodation looks equally good
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family