All reviews pool access ferry station rooms overlooking air con coffee table short walk a king size bed breakfast was included family room poolside room sairee beach laundry service would definitely stay here again restaurants and bars pier bungalow 7min
Reviewed 25 April 2017 via mobile

This hotel comprises a small number of bungalows and a small two storey blocks of apartments set around a medium sized pool. The 3 bedroom bungalow I stayed in was cramped and the bathroom basic but It did the job for the price. I think the apartments are more modern.

The reception area and restaurant is set over the road from the accommodation with a fantastic view of the beach at Mae Haad.

The place is family run and whilst the breakfast wasn't the best, the main meals we're delicious and we ended up eating here most nights. The ginger chicken is highly recommended.

The hotel is about 15 mins walk from the liveliness of Sairee Beach but only 5 mins walk from the main pier.

Date of stay: March 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Avigilator
Reviewed 6 April 2017 via mobile

This hotel would have earned a much better review from me had it been in a different price bracket. For $55 in Thailand I expect a lot more. The first room I was shown to was dirty (dirt on the window seat, rubbish from the previous guest, strange spots on the sheets) and I asked for another. The staff were very kind and showed me to another room. This one was clean, but dated. Peeling floors, a dark bathroom, and still some odd stains on the sheets. There were also little black ants in my room, harmless, but still annoying. The pool area was beautiful and the room had a nice big balcony. It has a convenient location for the ferry. The hotel has some good bones and lots of potential, but it needs some upgrades or a lower price point.

Date of stay: April 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank purplebackback17
Reviewed 27 March 2017

We stayed in their top room or should I say beach house for 7 nights. We are still talking about this room & we were there about 5 yrs ago & the room is still my Husband's screen saver. This room was 1,300 ft. with a roof top plunge pool & big covered day bed. So neat, but plunge pool was freezing in June. I never could go in. The bathroom was AMAZING & I could usually care less about a hotel bathroom. You could put 10 people in the shower & maybe 5 in the HUGE Stone bathtub. Huge separate vanity area & huge walk in closet. There was also a little outside sitting area at the end of the bathroom. The bedroom living room had floor to ceiling windows. The room was gorgeous & supplied with booze & a cappachino maker. Also nice patio a rocks throw from the surf. On night at midnight my Husband woke up as he had a scorpion on his pillow that bit him! The scorpion was tiny & non poisonous. The hotel paid for transportation to the hospital & the hospital bill. My Husband did not feel bad, but was just a little scared. They sent us to a private hospital that was very nice & nice doctor. Interesting experience. Lots of tourists in there in the middle of the night with horrible sun burns much worse than being stung by a scorpion.

The food: Really, really, really good, but they played this HORRIBLE annoying spa like music in all the restaurants & the pool! It drove us crazy. It made everything so dull. There was one little bar at the pool in a little wooden structure. Only 2 restaurants. I see why Sandals has several. The food was fabulous, but it was like ground hog day every day here with the same 2 places to eat daily with the horrible spa elevator music.

Pool & bar very dull & boring. We are the type of people that go to the room after dinner to read or go to bed, so when I say this place was boring, it is boring.

The Beach: Beautiful shady beach, but cold rough surf & rocky bottom. I purposely went in June hoping the water would be warm. We prefer the warm calm beautiful water in Jamaica. You can swim comfortably in December there. We did appreciate the very attentive beach waiter. We would wake up & there would be fresh drinks on the table in between our loungers.

The annoying time share B.S. We were approached to sit in an office for 2 hours to listen to their time share B.S. for a free massage. Since we aren't stupid & love massages, we said okay if the rep would have breakfast with us outside with the gorgeous ocean view we would listen full knowing we would just say "hell no" when we were done with breakfast. To our surprise a really nice young girl sat with us & we actually enjoyed talking to her ( not about the time share crap ). Then after an hour, her swarmy looking boss sat down. He tried to sell us time share for $15K to $30K. We can't believe people actually buy these. They don't have any obligation to even honor these contracts & we see people getting horrible rooms & service who buy these at resorts in the Dominican who are platinum members. We travel 3 times a year, but still wouldn't benefit from what they offer. Anyway, we thought this was tacky & annoying that they do this at this resort & we found out at all Spanish owned resorts such as our favorite resort Bahia Principe Cayo Laventado in Samana. We will never return to Mexico after this trip, as the beaches don't hold a candle to the beaches in Jamaica & Dominican Republic & the over the top ultra modern atmosphere & boring spa new age music. I guess they think this makes the resort seem more luxurious? or something. If they want to make the resort more luxurious, they should enforce the dress code at dinner time. We saw a table with 2 guys in wife beaters & one of the girls in the jean daisy dukes. Since we made an effort to dress appropriately, we didn't appreciate this.

In ending, our room 5 years ago was approx. $800 a night the most expensive trip we have taken yet & the only one I didn't like. We are always in the top beach front rooms everywhere we stay for 1/2 the price & aren't bored out of our minds. We checked out Rosewood that is supposed to be even more exclusive & found it to not look as nice as the Blue Diamond property & also a snooze.

Room tip: Beach front rooms off the hook
Date of stay: April 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2017 via mobile

We stayed at the Blue Diamond Resort for 2 nights. The location on the beach is convenient, walkable from the Pier and close to many restaurants and shops.

However, close to the walkway to the bungalows a new building is under construction at the moment and since it is Thailand security measures are lacking. It was also burning season and one afternoon they burned leaves right in front of one of our windows, which left a lingering smell of fire in the room and the sheets.
The pool area is very nice and looks new.
We booked a deluxe bungalow with AC which was spacious and clean. The porch in the front was also big and, because of the plants growing around it, quite private. There was a persistent awful smell in the bathroom that was also lacking some smaller towels for your hands and feet. Beach towels were available upon request. The firm mattress was probably one of the best we have encountered on our trip.

I would recommend to not book the accommodation with breakfast, it was quite underwhelming and the village offers lots of other options. The offered Thai food was decent.

The staff was friendly and helpful, we booked a full day snorkeling tour with them (600 THB pp). Should you want to try diving, the associated PADI location offers courses for a discounted price for Resort guests.

In summary, of all the places we stayed at in Thailand it was one of the more expensive ones and I found you can get accommodation with better price-service-relations. However, this was also on the relatively small island of Koh Tao and accommodation might just be more expensive in general.

Date of stay: March 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 nights. Would have extended stay if it had been possible. Great location, short walk from pier to hotel. Large room with huge shower area. Breakfast on the beach every morning served until 1 pm. Overall it was a great stay. Not much input from staff but we never really needed them for much. Would book here again if ever in this area.

Date of stay: February 2017