“I could have easily stayed there an extra month”

Ban's Diving Resort
Ranked #6 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 1 September 2010

We stayed at Ban's for a week on our honeymoon. We originally only planned on the 4 days it would take to get the scuba certification, but then we kept extending it.

Our room had a/c and was pretty and very comfy. We found the service incredibly nice and helpful. We liked that having the garden view, with its jungly trees, gave us a feeling of more privacy even when our curtains were open.

The restaurant was also surprisingly good, with good Thai and good Western food. They have great BBQ skewers at dinner. Later on, there is live music and dancing, but we were always too tired from a day spent diving that we never had the energy to stay up that late!

The diving is obviously what sets this place apart. I took my Open Water course here; it took 3.5 days. My instructor, Mario, has been teaching for 14 years and he was fantastic. I felt very safe with him, and he was unbelievably patient with me even when I had some difficulty with one of the required skills.

You get a good deal on the room if you go diving that day. After I finished my course, we stayed several more days and did some fun dives. The dive sites are beautiful (but crowded). We JUST missed seeing a whale shark one of the days we were there.
I loved the Sairee Beach area and never had to go into the town (Mae Hat) for anything.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,423)

Reviewed 28 August 2010

We paid a bit more for this hotel than we have been paying on other islands in Thailand, however the prices in Koh Tao are just more expensive so if you want to continue with the level of comfort, the price must go up. I was, however, very impressed with what we got for our money here. The location of the hotel was very central on Sairee beach and the convenience store is right next door. The rooms are set back far enough that it was really quiet and away from the night life. The rooms were really nice, although we got the last rooms available for this price so had to make-do with two single beds rather than a double. We had our own little balcony (however this hotel has a lot of greenery around it so there are mosquitos EVERYWHERE) with a clothes horse so we could hang up our swimsuits and towels. The shower was very powerful (however some people we met there said that their shower was not powerful at all, so i guess it depends on the room you get) and the bathroom was clean however there were cobwebs all over the ceiling in the bathroom. There is a safe in the room which is a big plus for me, and there was complimentary shampoos and conditioners, which was nice as it's not often you get this when you're on a budget. The staff here were really friendly and there are two pools available to you, but often people are training for diving in these pools. This was overall one of my favourite of all the hotels I stayed in in Asia.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2010

The Resort itself appears really nice, they have a really big pool (at the time we stayed there it was unfortunately under construction, and it was not mentioned on the homepage...).....and the staff is nice as well. There is a restaurant and a bar. The restaurant serves really good food for a really good prices. We stayed in a aircon room, if you dive than you get a fan room for free and the aircon rooms are 400 Bath. Normally a aircon room would cost 1000 Bath if you don't dive with Ban's, that's way too much what you get. The standard rooms are really simple ant not really luxury. At least there is a TV, the aircon was working and a small balcony. It's a decent place to stay but just if you dive and don't have to pay 1000 Bath.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2010

Ban's diving resort was probably the worst resort we stayed in while traveling in Thailand, which I traveled in for over one month. When we just arrived the Thai lady in the reception tried to lie to us and charge us an extra 500 baht per night, luckily I went to their website before and saw the real prices.

We saw two rooms (not the most basic ones), and except for the fact that the rooms looked nice, there was a terrible smell of mold in both that just didn't go away, no matter for how long the A\C was on.

Most of the reception staff were rude and unhelpful. When we tried to use to deposit-box in our room it failed to work so we called someone from the reception to fix it and nobody came. We had to call them for over four times until someone came, the next day. He tried to fix the safe for a while and failed, then he said he'd get a new one for us. With that said, we didn't get anything resembling a safe. When we went to see why in the reception they said they are out of safes and they don't have anything to give us, they didn't bother to let us know or apologize.

Overall, a very bad experience, maybe the worst hotel in Thailand, ALTHOUGH IT LOOKS GOOD ON THE OUTSIDE.
On the other hand, diving was okay, instructor was professional and we went to the boat every day without too many delays.

In conclusion, this is a factory for dive courses with a terrible resort and okay instructors, so if you do decide to come here, stay in any other resort in Koh Tao.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2010

I stayed in one of the hilltop bungalows - definitely worth the extra money over the basic poolside aircon rooms (and very good value if you're taking a diving course; if not, there are probably better value-for-money options elsewhere on the island). The room was spacious, the bed was huge with a firm mattress (of which I'm a fan - others might prefer soft), the balcony had a nice view, and there was a safe for valuables (the basic rooms had no safe, and I had camera gear with me).

Problems were minor: the sink plug was stuck, and had to be unstuck by housekeeping; and wireless internet was not free (!!), although the cost was reasonable. Of course, there's also quite a hike up a steep hill to get to the bungalows, which did not bother me, but might be troublesome to others. Lots of good places to eat near the resort, and the popular Lotus bar was just a short walk along the beach. The resort restaurant was also pretty decent, and makes a good ice coffee.

The diving course was great! As I only had three days, I did a sped up course as an individual student of Pannee (my instructor, who did a great job), but paying the standard rate, which is incredibly good value (most places charge a premium for individual tuition). Since we were done early, I also did a 30 metre dive (part of the Adventure diver certificate) and a fun dive (for a total of 4 dives on my final day). The two extra dives also had a very reasonable cost.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo