US$85
US$57
Agoda.com
Pinnacle Koh Tao Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$67
US$41
Ameenjeerah Koh Tao(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$78
US$64
US$424
US$342
  • Breakfast included
Ananda Villa(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$54
US$50
  • Beachfront
In Touch Resort & Restaurant(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$56
US$48
US$131
US$119
  • Breakfast included
Ban's Diving Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$41
US$39
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Koh Tao Simple Life Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$69
US$42
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
Haadtien Beach Resort(Koh Tao)
US$168
US$145
Priceline
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$165/night.

All reviewstanote bayeco cottagesshared bathroomtaxi serviceno air conditioningthe hotel offerslovely poolbreakfast was includedscuba divingbeach barbeach frontfanbahtislandpierbungalowtaxis
Reviewed 26 July 2017 via mobile

We revisited Montalay Beach Resort again this year. Last time we where there was i 2012.
It is a beautiful place that is right on the shore of Tanote bay.
The kitchen has improved a lot. The food we had at Montalay was the best on Koh Tao.

This time we stayed in to types of huts. One of them was in a wery good condition, but the family hut, was very basic, dirty and way to expencive. As an extra gift we had a snake in the room. It has acces to the hut from treebranches that was right on the roof.

The staff at the recepition were very unfriendly, expecially the longhaired guy from Phillipines was very rude. He and one of the girls was not helpful at all. If I was the owner of the place I would teach them about communication, and how to be polite and show respect to the customers. There were plenty of situations where they treated customeres badly.

The servants was mostly very friendly and specially Nawapol Kiat was really friendly and helpful. He was there at our first visit and again he made us feel very welcome. He also made a good connetion to our kids, and when he was of duty, he invited them to play fotball with locals.

The diveshop witch was conected to Montalay was outstanding. The divemaster Robert Coltrane was there in 2012 and again this time. I have dived many places and he is far the best divemaster I have met. Both me and my 12 year old son had such a great time with him. He i calm, and execelent during the dives.

Do not rent bikes at the bikeshop above Montalay. The overcharge and when you return the bike they keep either your passport or your deposit. They clame that you has damaged bike, even if you havent.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

We booked this for 4 nights and the first slept for 1 hour because of gecko's in our room. The staff is extremely grumpy. They did not care for a bit about the problem and told me to leave from the front desk when I apreciated a solution.
Then on a normal room you have no airco and you will need to pay 700 baht (18,5 euro) PER NIGHT for airco extra. So it will look cheap on first sight but all the other hotels come with airco.
The breakfast is ok but you need to go early otherwise everything is empty and will not be filled.
The location is perfect on a quiet beach and no partylife. But you have to travel expensive to go to the centre.

Tip: book the neighbour hotel (mountain reef) where we went after two nights of no sleeping at Montalay hotel.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JosvDNL
Reviewed 16 July 2017

I really want to love this place, as the bay is absolutely incredible, and the snorkeling right outside of the hotel is world class. But when I think about where we will stay next time we are in Koh Tao, I cannot justify ever returning to Montalay.

The service is really really bad. Like, every time you talk to someone they sigh because they don't want to be bothered, bad. The food is terrible. Really terrible. And more expensive than any other food we had throughout our time in Thailand.

The primary reason my partner and I came to Koh Tao was so that I could learn how to scuba dive. I signed up for a diving class at Montalay Bay a month before we arrived. I wanted to do the 1.5-2 day class, as that was how long we would be on Koh Tao. I signed up, and received an email confirming my class. When we showed up, however, they had no idea who I was or what I had signed up for. My partner, who is an advanced diver, asked them if they had any dives going out in the next few days, and their answer was, "no", casually, unapologetically, as though we shouldn't have expected a diving resort to actually take people out diving. They told me to go find the dive master who was in the water at the time. When I found him upon his return, he started out on a very unfriendly foot by telling me that I am really cutting my schedule close as 2 days isn't enough for a class. I had signed up for a class that would work perfectly with my schedule, so I was confused. In general, in Thailand, you should be prepared for things to never run according to plan. So, I agreed when he said I should just do a class for a few hours. It starts in the pool and then you go in the water for an hour or so. It was cheaper, and I didn't like the guy, so I agreed instead of pushing for the longer course.

He went over some basics with me, and then we got in the pool. I assumed we had some time there, so when I had some anxiety and didn't immediately catch on, I thought he would take his time to explain all the basics to me and calm my nerves. Instead, it was some sort of test, because after I popped back up to the surface a few times during the exercises, he said that there was no way he was taking me out to the water. He got out of the pool suddenly, and then explained that because it is so inexpensive to dive in Thailand, he didn't want to spend more time teaching me. Apparently all he does is teach people who have a natural ability to dive, and he doesn't waste time on other people because there is no financial incentive. He said it was too dangerous to take me out because he already had some bad accidents with people who were too nervous, and who were "basically trying to kill themselves." Sorry, guy, but it seems like you are just a terrible teacher. He was very rude to me, and also to my partner, who asked him for some nice freediving spots around the island, to which he replied, "anywhere," and then started a rant about how people die freediving all the time. NOT helpful.

Yes, there is incredible snorkeling right outside of the hotel, and if I return to Koh Tao I will be returning to the bay for some snorkeling. But I will never stay at Montalay Beach Resort ever again, and I don't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ellen d
Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

Good location but the service is not the best. The main desk is closed at 9 pm(pray you dont have a problem) and the last order for dinner at 8.30 pm. We had to ask to change the sheets as they had black staff on it.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

We were a group of 11 travelers and the staff at Montalay helped make our trip as easy and comfortable as it could be. The food at the resort was delicious, the staff helped us arrange for taxis to get across to more popular beaches/restaurants on the island and the location was beautiful. While Montalty is located in a tucked away part of Koh Tao, it was not hard to arrange cars to get across the island. The resort itself practically has a private (and less crowded) beach which offered amazing snorkeling- with a dive shop right next door where you can rent equipment for about 100 TBH. Very family friendly if that's what you're looking for-but also not bad for groups since the trip to the piers and beach bars are between 10-20 minutes driving. Good find!

Stayed: July 2017