All reviews tanote bay eco cottages taxi service shared bathroom no air conditioning lovely pool breakfast was included scuba diving beach bar beach front fan island pier bungalow taxis thai instructor
Reviewed 16 July 2017

I really want to love this place, as the bay is absolutely incredible, and the snorkeling right outside of the hotel is world class. But when I think about where we will stay next time we are in Koh Tao, I cannot justify ever returning to Montalay.

The service is really really bad. Like, every time you talk to someone they sigh because they don't want to be bothered, bad. The food is terrible. Really terrible. And more expensive than any other food we had throughout our time in Thailand.

The primary reason my partner and I came to Koh Tao was so that I could learn how to scuba dive. I signed up for a diving class at Montalay Bay a month before we arrived. I wanted to do the 1.5-2 day class, as that was how long we would be on Koh Tao. I signed up, and received an email confirming my class. When we showed up, however, they had no idea who I was or what I had signed up for. My partner, who is an advanced diver, asked them if they had any dives going out in the next few days, and their answer was, "no", casually, unapologetically, as though we shouldn't have expected a diving resort to actually take people out diving. They told me to go find the dive master who was in the water at the time. When I found him upon his return, he started out on a very unfriendly foot by telling me that I am really cutting my schedule close as 2 days isn't enough for a class. I had signed up for a class that would work perfectly with my schedule, so I was confused. In general, in Thailand, you should be prepared for things to never run according to plan. So, I agreed when he said I should just do a class for a few hours. It starts in the pool and then you go in the water for an hour or so. It was cheaper, and I didn't like the guy, so I agreed instead of pushing for the longer course.

He went over some basics with me, and then we got in the pool. I assumed we had some time there, so when I had some anxiety and didn't immediately catch on, I thought he would take his time to explain all the basics to me and calm my nerves. Instead, it was some sort of test, because after I popped back up to the surface a few times during the exercises, he said that there was no way he was taking me out to the water. He got out of the pool suddenly, and then explained that because it is so inexpensive to dive in Thailand, he didn't want to spend more time teaching me. Apparently all he does is teach people who have a natural ability to dive, and he doesn't waste time on other people because there is no financial incentive. He said it was too dangerous to take me out because he already had some bad accidents with people who were too nervous, and who were "basically trying to kill themselves." Sorry, guy, but it seems like you are just a terrible teacher. He was very rude to me, and also to my partner, who asked him for some nice freediving spots around the island, to which he replied, "anywhere," and then started a rant about how people die freediving all the time. NOT helpful.

Yes, there is incredible snorkeling right outside of the hotel, and if I return to Koh Tao I will be returning to the bay for some snorkeling. But I will never stay at Montalay Beach Resort ever again, and I don't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ellen d
Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

Good location but the service is not the best. The main desk is closed at 9 pm(pray you dont have a problem) and the last order for dinner at 8.30 pm. We had to ask to change the sheets as they had black staff on it.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

We were a group of 11 travelers and the staff at Montalay helped make our trip as easy and comfortable as it could be. The food at the resort was delicious, the staff helped us arrange for taxis to get across to more popular beaches/restaurants on the island and the location was beautiful. While Montalty is located in a tucked away part of Koh Tao, it was not hard to arrange cars to get across the island. The resort itself practically has a private (and less crowded) beach which offered amazing snorkeling- with a dive shop right next door where you can rent equipment for about 100 TBH. Very family friendly if that's what you're looking for-but also not bad for groups since the trip to the piers and beach bars are between 10-20 minutes driving. Good find!

Stayed: July 2017
Reviewed 27 June 2017 via mobile

My husband and I spend a lovely holiday in this hotel, good location . The room was clean. The beach is beautiful
The resort is ideal for a family holiday.the staff is friendly.
I really would stay here again !

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2017 via mobile

For the cheap price, the resort is ok. The service is not as friendly as normally in Thailand. The room was clean, the beach is very nice and offers good possibilities for snorkeling. An idea for dinner: the Mountain Reef Resort restaurant at the other side of the beach was great; tasty food + friendly service.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends