All reviews min walk party scene stayed here for nights tv pier island wardrobe hairdryer ac
Reviewed 23 January 2014

This review is for the basic non-airconditioned bungalow. As we stayed there during the "cold" season (January), the fan was sufficient to keep us cool at night. Everything was functional but very simple, e.g. there is no sink in the bathroom and the toilet needs to flushed using a bucket. There is only cold running water. That said, everything was clean and adequate for a few nights.
Plus Points:
Good location, close to a nice beach and far enough from the noisy beach bars
Basic but functional if all you need is a fan, a mattress and and a mosquito net
Minus Points:
Noisy construction site next door during the day only

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank w7fisch
Reviewed 15 January 2014

My sister, father and I stayed in Chong Kao Bungalows for 2 nights in January, and I can safely say that I will never, ever go back. On arrival the staff were very rude, and baggage staff refused to help with our bags unless they were paid.
The room my sister and I were staying in, 108, had a broken, leaking sink that near flooded the bathroom when we turned on the tap, a dirty and broken toilet, blood stained sheets, no hot water, no working Internet, a broken fridge and very mediocre air conditioning. I was hardly expecting luxury but it really isn't much to ask for a clean room with working facilities.
But all of this paled in comparison to what we discovered the day after we left Phi Phi island (due to being on a bus to Bangkok for 12 hours and not needing our wallets) - our bank cards had been stolen from the room (on the only occasion that we had left handbags in there for no more than half an hour, on the morning of check out, in a locked room) and all of our bank accounts had been hacked (they didn't have our pin numbers) and completely drained. Stuck in Thailand, with -£3.26 in my account.
After a bank investigation it transpired that the cards had been brought from Phi Phi to Chonburi, hundreds of miles away in the north of Thailand to be hacked, which clearly suggests to me some sort of sophisticated operation that is in progress to trap tourists, of which Chong Kao appears to be involved.
Trust me, never ever go there - and never be foolish enough to think that locking your belongings in your room will keep them safe, there was no regard for 'guests' at all during the stay.
Oh and final word? The swimming pool that is pictured at the resort on internet sites? Doesn't exist.

Room tip: Don't choose any room, go somewhere else!!
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
6  Thank Holly F
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I have just stayed here for 3 nights. We booked it in early December after seeing some average reviews, and it was about the cheapest place we could find. The morning we were coming to Ko Phi Phi I looked at this place on Trip Advisor again and saw that since we booked it there had been a flurry of awful reviews. We were really anxious on what was about to await us... The terrible reviews below made me think I'd be sleeping in a delapated shack with no running water or air con and a filthy mess.

When we got there...It was absolutely fine! In fact it was pretty nice. It was a little bungalow as described, with a fairly spacious room that was clean and tidy, a flat screen TV (FOX Asia channel 17 for English shows), a HOT shower that was pleasant enough, and decent aircon. I really do not understand what the people below are fussing about. We paid £21 each a night to stay on an island which is effectively paradise. Yes it wasn't absolutely perfect, but it was cheap! And when you are on a beautiful little island with amazing weather and beaches a tons to do, you only need a bed for the night, which is what we got and I slept well every night. There was some building work going on nearby but they were only making noise between 10am and 6pm, and it wasn't loud enough to be a disturbance anyway.

Also this place was a great location, from the reception it was just 200m from a beautiful quiet beach which connected on to a more lively part (which still wasn't too crowded), and it was also only a 5/10 minute walk to the busy streets of Ton Sai, with beautiful seaside bars and restaurants. It was also especially quiet at night, something I believe is not afforded to most places on the island that are closer to the busy streets as they have clubs and bars blaring loud music.

The only annoyance for me is the wifi didn't work. However I didn't enquire at reception if the password had changed and if I had they may have fixed it.

I just wanted to leave this review for people that have booked and are now worried about staying here. For £21 a night in a beautiful island, it was fine. In England £21 would get you a lousy B&B in Blackpool, in Thailand it gets you a fairly decent place in one of the most beautiful islands in the world. These people below need to stop complaining, and if they want something better then pay more! I would happily stay here again.

Date of stay: January 2014
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Callum M
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

The worst possible senario ever!
1. Disgusting room..sheets are dirty
2. No hot water...no cold water..actually no water at all.
3. The fridge doesnt work
4. Far from the town
5. Angry wierd owner..
6. Construction next to the rooms..cant sleep even during the late night hours
7. No housekeeping...no clean towels...I actually had to buy my own toilet paper.
8. They Dont accept credit cards. Only cash
9. At check out time they litteraly threw us out of the room. The owner opened the door without premission and put a big ugly plastic bag in the room and start "cleaning" it.
10. Thai kids playing soccer outside
11. Wifi doesnt work

The only good thing I had from my stay is the joy of leaving this so called hotel.
Honestly, if u want to enjoy beautiful PP island...just go ANYWHERE else..

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Yousef_Isaac
Reviewed 27 December 2013

The only positive thing about Chong Khao is away from the noisy pubs & restaurants. The flip side is having to walk a few blocks to find a decent restaurant. Negatives: bedroom was poorly constructed, full of mosquitos at night, staff is useless, never replace towels or bedsheets (even if you stay for a week), never clean your bungalow or the bathroom. Run away and find a bettter option in the city..

Date of stay: December 2013