“Nicely located hotel”
Review of Bay View Resort

Bay View Resort
Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The resort is nicely located on the south east side of the island, a 15 minutes walk from the restaurants and bars. A long tail boat will come to meet you at the pier and drop you off by the beach in front of the hotel (wearing flip flops is recommended as there is no pier and you will have to get in the shallow water).Most bungalows overlook the bay and have a private balcony to enjoy the view. They have a large amount of bungalows so reaching your room might require a 10 minutes walk and a bit of a hike. The location was great but the room itself was average. Whilst we ended up staying in one of the older and shabbier bungalows, a lot of them seem to be new and much more nicely decorated so it really depends on what room you get. The only thing I would recommend is not to throw any empty drink bottles you get from outside into the bins inside the room. They have a rather odd way of checking what’s been consumed in the mini bar, where they look at empty bottles in the bins rather than checking what’s actually missing from the fridge. As silly as it sounds we were asked to pay for four drinks we had not consumed just because they found empty bottles we had brought in from outside in the room. Not a big deal but they didn’t really know how to handle the situation at reception and they struggled to understand that we had not consumed anything and slowed down the check out process. Finally, if you book your stay here, don’t bother with breakfast or food in general as it’s more pricey than average out of the resort and it’s not great.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,693)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Not the best first impression. This hotel is one of those places that looks good on photos but the reality is slightly different. It’s habitable but don’t expect any luxury here.

Make sure you wear flip flops and shorts when you arrive to the hotel using their free boat shuttle service from the port. The longtail boat will drop you off on the beach and you will need to jump out into a shallow water and walk through the beach to the reception. I thought it was quite cool but just a word of advise: don’t wear shoes or trainers when arriving :-)

It wasn’t the warmest welcome and we weren’t impressed about the room we got either. Claustrophobic and in desperate need of a refurb. Stained tiles in bathroom resembled some sort of communal showers on a poor camping site of youth hostel. It was a semi-detached hut and we could hear our neighbours having a normal level conversation - so no privacy here. We travelled in a group of three but the room we got was clearly for two people. We pointed this out to the bell boy and he said that someone will bring another bed shortly. We waited and waited and waited and went back to reception. I complained that we paid for three people but got a room for two. I was told once again to wait and someone will bring another bed. I asked for a bigger room because if they would put another bed in this tiny hut there would be no floor space left whatsoever. The guy in reception told me that there he cannot give a us a bigger room and said quite rudely that we can complain to our travel agent to see if they can find us another hotel if we don’t like it. We left the hotel and went to town; came back after midnight, tired and sleepy and discovered that there is still no extra bed in our room! Not impressed! We were tried and just wanted to sleep, not to argue with the reception once again in the middle of the night. We (three adults) ended up sleeping in one double bed. Not the best night sleep I’ve had! In the morning I complained once again to them, they apologised and finally gave us a room of the right size, that was actually meant for three people and with a nice sea view. Still bit poor inside, especially bathroom just ugly and not exactly clean. And not enough electric sockets so we had to buy an extension to charge all our cameras, phones etc. Also the USB port built into the TV came in handy for charging. Internet is also very poor - takes ages to load one simple email.

Breakfast was actually OK although I wish there was a bigger selection of fruit. There are so many different, cheap fruit available on this island yet this hotel only had watermelon and pineapple.

All the shortcomings of this hotel are compensated by the incredible beauty of Phi Phi Island, emerald crystal clear water and breathtaking views.

I would love to come back here. Not because of this hotel but because of the natural beauty of this island.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank ArekM_Leeds
Reviewed 9 November 2017 via mobile

On arrival the long tail boat was not at the port, waited 10mins then it arrived, short ride to the hotel. Check in was slow but they had a room ready and didn't make me wait until 2pm so that was great. Location is nice. Internet is dreadful, basically it doesn't work. I booked a grand deluxe villa. On checking in it became very apparent very quickly there is nothing grand about the room... and it's just that... a room, nothing like a villa. My room was attached to another room so it wasn't even detached. I heard my neighbours talking but luckily they weren't noisy neighbours. Bathroom was very basic, bed comfy and shower good. Room service was fast and food was nice. The onsite tour desk is expensive, book at the ferry port because you can negotiate a deal there for trips. All in all an okay property but I felt the price I paid was expensive for what I got.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

The rooms are very good and the location is great. Breakfast was also ok. Unfortunately, the only restaurant in the hotel is a big let down; firstly there were no chips and no pizza for days; when we complained about how terrible the mixed grill dish was the counter staff didnt even look at us; at last there was no ambient music but only a tv with loud thai channels on. Overall a good experience but look elsewhere to dine. PS: Guest should be advised on arrival of possible big black SCORPION encounters at night time; my 5 year old daughter nearly stepped on it while we walked back to the room at around 8pm.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 November 2017

My boyfriend and I stayed there in October. it was an absolute treat... Everything from the staff, the room, the patio and the view was amazing!

The walk to our bungalow was a tad steep but worth it.

Breakfast - we stayed in a couple of hotels on our trip to Thailand, and Bay View was the only place that served bacon with their breakfast. Ok, so the bacon tasted like it was cooked in left over calamari oil but it was still bacon.

Room Tip: Some of the bungalows don't have a great sea view due to the trees growing in front of the bunga...