“Terrible - Not what it looks like”

Baan Panburi Village At Yai Beach
Ranked #57 of 89 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Terrible - Not what it looks like”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

We checked into this hotel with enthusiasm after seeing the pictures on the internet, and lets just say they are a little misleading.

The rooms are tiny, very run down and had a funky smell to it. The door to the room couldn't close properly as the wood around the handle was broken...but that wasn't the biggest surprise.

That lay in the bathroom which was just disgusting. When we checked in, there was a dead Gecko on the toilet seat with ants eating it...which suggested they obviously hadn't come through to clean it in a little while.

The sheets had stains and as far as "Sea View" goes, well I guess if I twisted my neck out from the balcony then I did get a glimpse of about 1m of the sea.

We stuck around for all of 5minutes before walking down the beach to find better accommodation, which we did at almost every other place we looked at. Some of the other hotel owners even laughed when we explained our predicament and said that they quite often get people coming from Baan Panburi looking for other accommodation.

They refused to refund us anything since it was during full moon period, so we were stuck paying for the 3 nights...but was happy to wear this cost if it meant we could get out of there asap. We found a nicer place down the beach and checked in their immediately.

Look, I'm sure if you are traveling on a budget and are used to Hostel/backpacker accommodation then this place might appeal...but anyone looking for a nice beachfront bungalow...steer clear!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trent B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

We checked in looking forward to the stay pics on Internet looked great. When we got to our rooms they were disgusting. They smelt, sheets had blood stains on them and the bathroom was absolutely disgusting. The view is great but it is a long way out from Thongsala and there really isn't much to do. Would never ever stay here again or recommend it to anyone. When we checked out 5 minutes later they refused to refund us as it was full moon period and they were apparently booked out and had to cancel ther people for us!! No apology at all and extremely rude. The pictures in the Internet are false advertising!

• Stayed November 2011

Travellers are raving about these Ko Pha Ngan hotels

Ramat Gan, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

this place is great crew, great views, great restaurant, great room and only 1000 bht (for room with AC). we will Definitely come back when we will be again in koh phangan.
thank you for your nice and warm host !!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Rego Park, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

This is my first time at the Yai Beach and second time at the Koh Phangan. Stayed for 3 days with a friend during the full moon party and it was pretty ideal since it was away from all the noise. The beach wasn't even that crowded which is what we were looking for.

The room is a basic layout and decor. This bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. Firm and very soft form-fitting. I honestly slept the best. The AC is unnecessary during the rainy season since it's already pretty cool.

The bathroom was not on par with the room. It's simply a shower and a toilet separated by a moldy shower curtain. The dark blue bathroom didn't really match the room. The water pressure has to be kept low since it's connected to a water heater in order for the water to be hot. I also found a bunch of tiny water bugs on the sink, so keep your toothbrushes covered. I felt that I might have been a bit overcharge for the room considering the amenities.

The service was very nice. The library is pretty limited, but I guess no one really comes here to read, heh. The dining room was swarming with flies. At one point during breakfast there were 12 flies swarming my table. It made me wonder where the stink was coming from for them to concentrate on one area. The food taste ok, but I did get a bit sick. We only ate at the hotel and my friend got really sick. She eventually had to take an imodium so she could still walk around the island.

The place is located at the end of the beach and the view is calming. The beach is quiet and clean. It's 35-45 minutes away from the pier. It was both good and bad, but I'd probably try a different location if I went back.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank thetravelingamanda
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

This was my 2nd trip to thong nai pan yai and first at baan panburi. Inam hesitant to say what I really feel because I don't want the secret to get out about the beach or baan panburi. Yai is the best beach I have found so far in Thailand and baan panburi is awesome. It's not fancy but the location is great, the swimming is great and I fou d the staff to be super helpful especially banana. Maybe it was because I got engaged there that I am a bit jaded,but everyone on the staff went out of their way to be helpful. I am a food snob and I though the food was excellent, the BBQ was great, the breakfast was one of the best I ever had and the traditional Thai food was great (mainly the seafood dishes, didn't care for the pad Thai). I would highly recommend this place to someone or a couple who is looking to chill out, relax, sit on the beach and eat good food. Being next to the dolphin is the best o both worlds so you can eat at both places and drink in the dolphins cool vibe at night like I said maybe I am jaded because their staff went out of their way to help make my girlfriend and my special day even more special but we can't wait to go back. Just don't let the secret out to everyone.

Only complaint is matress is a bit hard and small since I'm 6"3 but you can sleep on the beach during the day

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple