“a great memorial to a great tragedy”
Review of Jallianwala Bagh

and up
Private Tour: Golden Temple and Wagah Border with Punjabi Lunch
Ranked #4 of 74 things to do in Amritsar
More attraction details
Owner description: This is the site of the April 13, 1919 massacre of hundreds of innocents by British troops.
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I wish that every indecency by man could be preserved so intently as this. I don't know if it was the fact that this event was dramatized in the famous film, Gandhi or whether the memorial of this terrible event makes you feel the injustice by making it seem so real. It is a place that I felt confronted by two urgent thoughts: what insanity drove the English to such an act and what would I do if I faced this overwhelming barrage of firepower as an unarmed civilian in a desperately poor country. It would be absurd to think that escape was possible but those that had a chance to attempt an escape took it. It is their stories that are the most compelling. I was drawn to the well where so many had jumped or dived into in their desperation.
It is a memorial that recreates the crime and one that should be seen by anyone who wants to understand India, as well as colonial Britain.

1  Thank travelhoundIndia
Write a ReviewReviews (2,599)
All reviews
in 46 reviews
"pay homage"
in 35 reviews

Reviewed 14 April 2012

It is an OK garden, but worth a visit just for history sake . . . and really isn't all THAT much do do in Amritsar (though I really dig the city)

2  Thank Josh D
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Having read about it we really wanted to go and are glad we did so. It was humbling and embarrasing to be British as this was cold blooded murder by our so-called civilised ancestors and we felt disgusted.
It is well maintained monument and well worth the visit.
We were surprised that, even here, many local people wanted to speak to us and have their photos taken with us.
The only saving grace was reading the material in the museum where the speaches of the King and Winston Churchill both decrying this terrible act and higlighting British disgrace for what we had done. That made us feel slightly better!
I was amazed that it took so long for someone to assassinate the British Officer responsible for the massacre.

2  Thank peterindevon
Reviewed 12 April 2012

This place is still full of proof of blood shed by Indian freedom fighters. Bullets marks and the infamous well are very much where they were.

There is a small museum that has cut-out from newspapers mentioning by incidences happening before and after Jallianwallah Bagh Massacre.

1  Thank ArunUpadhyay
See more reviews
Reviewed 10 April 2012

This should be a place of quiet reflection and mourning and renewed patriotism, instead crass Indians of today have turned it into a picnic spot and a haven for pickpockets. People have litteted the place, were having hearty meals and taking photos standing in front of bullet holes the typical "me in front of..." pics. That is fine when the backdrop is a fountain, a natural wonder.. its NOT OK to take pics and I felt so sick by the behaviour of Indians that I left instantly. Pathetic country that has no reverence to the lives that were lost.

6  Thank GreenGlobalCitizen