“Big clean dark cold room, hot water for 2 minutes only, and strenuous walk to get in” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rheinberg Homestay

Rheinberg Homestay
Ranked #24 of 176 Munnar B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

I stayed in Rheinberg Homestay from 19th January for 3 nights. Since then the owner is asking me to write a review. To be honest, i dont have much good things to write. Being influenced by so many good reviews on trip advisor, I booked my accommodation here through email. When I arrived there, I realized that I made a mistake.

I didn’t like the place, but I will try to write both positive and negative sides, and then it is on other travelers to decide:

Positives : Being on top of a hill the place was quiet, within the city but out of noises. The bamboo room that I stayed was massive, really huge and clean. There is a nice garden in front of the home with many flowers and plants. Shibu, the caretaker, is very nice and helpful. He is always there when you need him. I have never seen such a great staff in any hotel or homestay. Also he can give discount if you rent a car from him for sightseeing ,for pickup and drop to cochin/alleppy/thekkedy etc.

Negatives: The list is quite big. This place is actually at the top of a hill and the road is quite steep. You really have to do a strenuous walk to reach that home stay. Imagine you are doing this after having dinner, you need to eat again when you reach there LOL. There is another way through the main gate of Mount Carmel Church, but it takes long time to walk from that side and the road is also bit uphill and dark at night.

The room was very big and clean but dark. I was so stupid to book the bamboo room which is more expensive than other rooms, though I got a discount. The room was freezing cold probably because it is made of bamboo. Munnar itself was not that cold in mid January, but the room was. When I was in the city, i did not need warm clothes. But inside the room it was too dark and cold. The reasons may be because it was on top of a hill and also because there wasn’t enough light in the room to keep it bright and warm. I really hope the owner would put some extra lights in the room.

The homestays usually include breakfast. When Shibu asked me what i would like to have in breakfast, I said anything. He didn’t mention that it is not included in the price. On the day of my departure I realized that the awful breakfast (cold hard bread + freezing butter and jam+ a tasteless omelet or only a big bowl of oat) is 70 Rs. per day!!! Whereas you can find very delicious breakfast in just half price down the hill at Saravana Bhaban restaurant.

Hot water in the shower lasts for 2 minutes only and then it gets cold. In every 2 minutes you have to wait for another 5 minutes to get hot water, because the geyser is very small. Also there is no hot water in the wash basin/sink so you have to use cold water to wash your face.

There were frequent power cuts, don’t know if it was a problem of Munnar or the homestay. They had a generator for the evening only, if there is a power cut during the day you just sit within your dark cold room for a hour or so.

Anyways, later on I checked another hotel called NR regency, a friend recommended this. The hotel is just down the hill on the main centre near KSRTC bus stand and more reasonable price with 800 Rs. for a room; i checked that there was hot water in both shower and basin. But I didn’t move in there as I already booked Rheinberg for 3 nights. I didn’t pay advance but it didn't seem fair to change it last moment, as they have blocked this room for me only….. so I decided not to change. But next time i will try to stay in other places.

Room Tip: Still if you want to stay here, do not book bamboo room as it is very dark and cold.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Arunthia21
RheinbergMunnar, Owner at Rheinberg Homestay, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
We are really sorry that you did not like your stay at Rheinberg. From our side we tried to provide the best service, facilities and more over value for money. Just want to clear some points raised by you as it can give you proper understanding and remove any miss giving’s.
A homely stay away from home is our motto. As the name indicates Rhein(berg) we are situated in a small serene hill in Munnar town, it gets us further away from the clamorous of downtown Munnar. There are 2 ways of getting from the town to the home stay: an uphill walking path (2 min walk) or several flights of stairs to the nearby church and then a flat path along to Rheinberg (4 min walk).
You are the first guest who complaints on the Bamboo room. In the room tips only Bamboo room is mentioned by the other guests. The lighting is arranged according to the theme of the room, not too bright to keep the surroundings in mind. All other reviews appreciated the Bamboo room (different people different taste).
It is a reality; nature is icy cold during Dec – February days. We happily provide extra blankets to you. In my knowledge only one 5star hotel in Munnar is providing heater facility inside the room and hot water through wash basin. But their tariff is more than Rs 10000/day.
Hot water from the geyser, as it is an instant geyser, only with switch and tap on, hot water will flow. (We are planning for a geyser up gradation). Power supply failure is a routine constraint, but generator facility is provided for nights.
Tasty , nutrious simple breakfast in Rheinberg is much appreciated by the other feedback.
We try our best to give people who stay at our place a good and exciting time. We also know that it’s impossible to make everybody happy. (But trying hardly for that)

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Polish first
Ghaziabad, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

I stayed for 2 nights in first week of Jan,2012 in blue room. Pleasant and memorable stay.
I along with my wife and 2 kids thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Would love to come here again.
Shibu was always ready to help.
Keep it up guys.

sunil, ghaziabad

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

Rheinberg has an excellent location. the management is really efficient. The room was clean, the landscaping pretty too. Wifi and hot water is available and the carrom was neatly aligned, ready for use :-) Staff was always ready to help and provided us with extra covers due to the chill outside, which was appreciable. However i missed the availablity of toilet paper, and the inclusions and exclusions in the stay required mentioning as most of the homestays do include b'fast. The lightning in the room was good too, not too bright keeping the surroundings in mind.
In all a lovely visit.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

Would come here again for the warm welcome, offers of kingfisher and a drop of home made wine, a lovely breakfast on request and useful advice on what to see in the area.

• Stayed December 2011
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

Rheinberg has everything you need for a great stay in munnar. I stayed for 2 nights in the blue room. It was simple and clean. The wifi and hot water worked well and the staff was always around if I needed anything. The view from their place is a nice place to watch the moonrise. When you arrive, get a ride to the church, from there the walk is not uphill. After that, you will walk a hill or stairs to get in and out of town. I enjoyed the stairs and the walk, I didn't find them stressful at all.
I booked a driver through them and wasn't happy with him. He didn't speak English as promised and he refused to take me to one of the sights that we agreed to go to. I told the staff and they were receptive to my feedback so I doubt they will use that driver again.
Overall, a great place and a nice price.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo