“Our second stay there, should I say more?”

Sueno Del Mar Resort
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in West End
Brooklyn, New York
“Our second stay there, should I say more?”
Reviewed 27 January 2011

Kudos to Ray and the dive shop team. Can't wait to come back next year

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 22 January 2011

Ray Lopez sets the perfect tone for your stay, he's so inviting and friendly, and all of the other staff helped make for a great stay. Ray picked us up from the Airport along with another guest and I have to say it set our 8 day day stay off to a great start...so personal, I like that. The hotel has it's own dock for the diving boats that leads right into the dive shop located on the first floor of the hotel. All the rooms have Balconies that face the water....ideal for sunset. The rooms are clean, decorated to detail,has air conditioning and a refrigerator. Beside the dock is what seems like a private beach and is perfect for hotel guests to enjoy. They hotel has beach chairs along the water and the umbrellas in the water are cool. We spent alot of time at this spot and always had the water to ourselves. On the beach is also a great beach bar, the girls their cook up some great food and drinks. Also, I'm not a Diver (I'm not that brave) but we did some snorkeling and the staff took us out for an enjoyable time out on the water. The location of this hotel is perfect! You are right on the main road of West End but about 1-2 blocks distance from all the West End shops, restaurants and beach bars. So it's extremely easy to walk to everything but yet you avoid any noise of cars or crowds. Overall, the stay was a dream. I can't say enough good things about it -we didn't want to leave Roatan and that was because of Sueno Del Mar.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Eldridge, Iowa
Reviewed 15 January 2011

We stayed at Sueno del Mar for 11 nights in Nov/Dec. I think I read a review before we left that said everything is only 30 feet away. That is such a good description. Our room was just steps from the beach, the dock, the dive shop, the boat and the bar. Awesome!

Location: For us, the location was perfect. Easy walking distance to all the restaurants and shops in West End but far enough away that we were never bothered by noise. All of the rooms have a spectacular unobstructed ocean view. I don't think I've ever taken so many sunset pictures from a balcony. I'm sure other people have at other hotels but I bet they paid more for the room!

Food: Lots of choices in West End or you can eat right at the bar. Tita makes a killer cheeseburger. If you don't want what's on the menu, she takes requests. She even cooked the lionfish the divemasters got on our dive. It's really really tastey. If you get the chance, you should try it. Roatan needs help reducing the number of lionfish anyway! Free breakfast at Ray's is really convenient. Ray and Tita(along with the rest of the staff) are great resources. They know everything about the island and are happy to help.

Diving: What can I say? It's AWESOME!! We did 12 dives. All at different locations. Michelle was an awesome divemaster. She is really good at finding all the tiny things. We also had some tag-a-long divemasters which was nice company. One day, they were having problems with the boat, it was fixed quickly and another boat was brought in for our use. We loved having our room so close to the dock. No lugging equipment back and forth.

Rooms: Rooms are comfortable. Nothing fancy. Perfect for us.

We are planning a trip back in June and possibly yet this winter. For the price, this place can't be beat.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 15 January 2011

Sueno Del Mar turned out to be a perfect fit for our family. We stayed there 8 days, we being my husband and I, our three grown kids (21, 26), our nephew (28), our grand daughter (1), and a friend (26). This is not a luxurious hotel ($80 a night, for up to 4 people breakfast included), but it is clean, the building is actually quite pretty, and the location perfect. It is on the water front, the little beach in front of the hotel is clean, and somewhat secluded (we didn't suffer invasion from cruise boat people), the water clear and inviting. There is a volley-ball net on the beach that draws the right amount of interest from locals and tourists, Tita has her quaint little cafe, cooks tasty burgers, and mixes generous cocktails, the sunsets are unforgettable. If you want to go snorkeling, just grab a mask, a tuba and some flippers at the shop, hop on the boat (2 trips a day), and spend one hour with the amazing fish (this is included in the price of the room). If you feel more adventurous, Michelle, the diving instructor, will patiently teach you the ropes and take you underwater to swim with the turtles (we saw one), barracudas, squids, horsefish, and among the colorful reef. She is great. Every morning, Ray, cooked us breakfast: great Honduran coffee, home fries, eggs, French toast, pancakes, oranges, etc... just ask! Breakfast was served in his large dining room, balcony, and allowed for conversations about what to do next. The other great part of this hotel is its location. At the end of the main road, so it is super quiet, yet just a few minutes from all the excitement. Our grown-up kids had a great time dancing through the night, while we were reading, enjoying the sunset from the hammock on our balcony (all rooms have a balcony) or sleeping with our grand-daughter. We had easy access to all the restaurants and little shops (just 5 to 10 minutes walking distance) as well as to the Sandy beach area (20 minutes along the coast). Also, I forgot to mention the perfect service from the hotel - pick up at the ferry, drop off at the airport (all included in the price of the room). All the people were friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 14 January 2011

I stayed at the Sueno del Mar Resort at the beginning of the new year in January 2011. Let me first just say that I had a wondeful time and highly reccomend the hotel. Everything from the staff to the location and the quality of service was excellent.

Making Reservations:
I emailed the hotel directly to make my reservation and ask a few questions. The owner Ray Lopez, quickly responded and answered all of my questions. In order to avoid the surcharge of using a credit card (all the establishments on the island charge you one of varying amounts from 4 - 12%) I made my inital deposit via PayPal and also paid the final balance this way as well. You can use a credit card directly (4% surcharge) but I found the PayPal route cheaper.

Getting to the Hotel:
Beacuse I spent some significant time traveling throughout mainland Honduras and it was around Christmas time which is a busy time in Honduras I remained in contact with Ray as my dates changed a bit. If you go to Roatan from La Ceiba you have the option of taking the ferry (1 1/2 hours $28-one way, $55-round trip) or flying either Aerolinas Sosa or Taca $33-one way, $67-round trip....all prices as of Jan 2011. I decided to fly and pay the $5 extra dollars as the ferry ride can be rough and it only takes 15 minutes to fly. Someone from the hotel picked me up right on time and eventually took back to the airport with no problems.

The Room:
My room was clean, had air conditioning, ceiling fan and ocean front views, breakfast was provided every morning

Internet Access:
The hotel has wireless, which is great since I bought my laptop and could get it in my room

The Staff:
Ray, Else and the staff are wonderful, very friendly and knowledgable of all things that will make your stay enjoyable. Chex-in/Chex-out was easy and the staff was just great.

Misc...
Sand Fly's:
Please beaware of these little buggers which you can't see but will eat you alive if they find you tasty enough.

The West End vs West Bay:
As I prepared for my trip and I was reading all of the reviews I had no clue to the distinction between the WE and WB. As a solo travler I prefered the West End as I found there was more to do with respect to enterainment and meeting people. The beach is by far better in the West Bay (they are only 2.2 miles apart and you can walk the beach to get to there) but I found the West Bay to be a little more inclusive. WB, is probably a little newer and has larger resorts but I sensed that whatever hotel your at is the one where you'll do all your dining, hanging out etc.. Again not say there aren't things in WB, I just found from driving around a lot that the WE has lots of shops, merchants, restuarants, hotels etc..and more of a boardwalk type feel vs strict resort. Both places are wonderful and really the entire island is gorgeous, so enjoy!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
Foster's West Bay
#8 of 14 in West Bay
1.3 km away
Seagrape Plantation Resort

Been to Sueno Del Mar Resort? Share your experiences!