“Highlight of our trip to Roatan”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Salty Dog Sea Charters - CLOSED

Salty Dog Sea Charters
rome italy
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Highlight of our trip to Roatan”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

Sailing with Cap't Dusty is fantastic! I frequently take sailing excursions when I travel and by far, the trip with Cap't Dusty was the best I've been on. I think he would have provided lunch and drinks, but we told him in advance we would pick up our own on the way to his sailboat and he was fine with that (I'm not sure if there would have been an additional charge had we wanted him to provide lunch and drinks). We sailed for 5 hours and he really knew how to make the most of the wind for a great sailing experience. We also fished and snorkeled with his First Mate Steve. I agree with all of the other positive posts on this thread.

It is worth noting that it's best to book directly with Cap't Dusty as opposed to going through a travel service because you will pay more if you go through a travel service. Dusty is very flexible and responsive to emails and phone calls.

His website is here: http://www.roatansailing.com/roatan-charters-vacationers.htm

You can also email him directly here: captdustycharters@yahoo.com or phone 9916 7654 (but I don't know the country code which would need to be included).

He even accommodates people who are on cruise ships and have tight schedules due to the ship's schedule. I heard about some of the other trips the cruise people went on, and it sounds like Dusty's sailing is much better than the other organized trips the cruise ships arrange. Also, I think it's nice to work directly with someone living in the community as opposed to paying big companies to organize cruise-only activities where you really don't interact with anyone local.

If you go, please remember to tip Dusty and Steve (assuming you think they did a great job!). The fee sail for 5 hours is incredibly reasonable ($49 per person which I don't think includes lunch but I'm not 100% sure about the lunch aspect) and this is how they earn their living. And no, I'm not affiliated with them in any way, I just really believe in giving back to the communities that I visit when the service is outstanding.

This was definitely the highlight of our 8 day trip.

Thanks for an amazing day Cap't Dusty and Steve!

Visited August 2011
3 Thank KathyRome

Fort Worth, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The Best Way To Do It In Honduras!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2011

What an amazing experience. He picked us up and drove us over to his boat where his local buddy helps with the excursion.

I went with my partner and 2 kiddos who were 8 and 12 at the time and we had the time of our lives. They took us to the best snorkeling spot around. The local actually gets in the water with you and shows you things you wouldnt notice. (ex: baby sting ray buried in the sand) He also tells you the names of the fish that swim by and answers any questions you may have .

Then we hopped back on the boat and get a lunch that his wife makes. He makes sure you are fully stocked with whatever alcohol or beverages you like. He picks it up on the way out to the boat. We ate lunch and had drinks sailing away! He even lets the kiddos sail the boat.

On our way back he took us to a local joint that had the best jerk chicken around town. Ask him. He will take you!!! He is willing to do anything to cater to your needs. We even stopped by a gas station on the way back to get the same kind of coffee they sell you by the boat but it is WAAAAAAAY cheaper at the place he will take you.

I could keep going and going but i think you get the point.
Bottom line...its the best way to go!
THEY ARE AAAAAAWESOME!!!!!!
I couldnt have asked for a better memory.

Visited July 2010
2 Thank lbug16
Encinitas, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Awesome day of sailing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2011

Sailing on Captain Dusty's boat was a great way to relax, see the island, and enjoy the winds of the Caribbean sea. We started the day with a snorkel tour of Blue Canyon, then sailed for about an hour, then stopped to have lunch and chat, then finished the day with another 2-2.5 hours of sailing. Captain Dusty let me take the helm for a good portion of the sail and we even got to fish off the boat too! It was a beautiful way to see the island from the sea. I would definitely make time in your trip for a day with Captain Dusty. Just remember to cover up (the sun is strong out on the water!).

Visited April 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“best excursion of our trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2011

We wanted to book our own excursion for our two boys first time snorkeling in the Carribbean. We were greeted by Captain Dusty at the dock and it was our family of four one other group of four. We sailed for about an hour to 1.5 hrs, he even let my 11 yo take the helm. He still talks about it. His first mate stayed with my children around the reef, both boys are great swimmers. He picked up items for them to see, pointed out fish and then brought out book of species so they can pick what they saw. We were treated to delicious lunch of sandwiches, chips and all the beer, water and soda we could drink. We even had time to shop in the West end and got back to our ship in plenty of time. Wonderful day.

Visited March 2011
Fredonia, New York
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Great Sailing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2011

We were staying on Roatan for the week and booked with Capt. Dusty one day in advance. He took us to a wonderful reef for one hour of fantastic snorkeling. First Mate Steven was a great guide; very knowledgeable. Dusty sailed us past West Bay out into the channel towards the mainland and gave an informative tour with facts and information about hotels and sights. Had great wind and let everyone drive the boat. Dusty is originally from San Francisco but is now a Roatan local. Couldn't have asked for a better sailing experience!

Visited March 2011