All reviews sunken fish king crab yoga studio west end octopus eagle ray laid back carambola gardens small group lion fish great guy small resort anthony's key the entire staff boat captain a great vacation new friends
Reviewed 3 April 2011

I went there for dinner (for their tapas night) & was very impressed at the high quality cooking, the stunning location & beautifully decorated resort. Diving school is also highly regarded and they have some great dive sites just off their strip. Given free rein with budget, I’d stay in a flash.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 March 2011

My wife and I were looking for a reasonable but nice resort location for a few days on Roatan prior to our diving companions arriving and transferring to a more expensive place. My wife had a hard time finding a resort that had consistently good reviews on Trip Advisor and other websites. She found Tranquilseas Eco Lodge had great reviews so we decided to try it out. We ended up having a thoroughly delightful stay with Chris and Monica at their intimate and immaculately landscaped resort. If you are looking for a quiet alternative to the large high-volume diving resorts, this is it. With only 5 cabanas in operation, Chris and Monica provide personal service and custom activities while making you feel as welcomed as if you were family. Diving and snorkeling trips are provided whenever one or more guests want to go - no set schedule. Even with its intimacy this resort has the amenities of larger resorts. These include a full bar, covered and uncovered dining and cocktail areas, and deck areas with cushioned bench seats looking out over the Caribbean Sea. There is also a small but well-appointed pool, diving gear lockers, and great recommendations on places to eat and things to do around the island. You need not go far for great food, as the dining room is also open every night. You won't want to miss Tuesday Tapas night (Monica is originally from Spain and serves as chef extraordinaire) with live music with a small crowd of locals, or Burger Thursdays. In addition, with a one-day advance notice Monica will visit the local market and whip up a marvelous paella dish for your dinner. Breakfast (menu) is included with the cost of the room and I particularly enjoyed the large 16 oz mugs for my morning coffee, as I get so tired of drinking coffee from teacups in the islands! The rooms come with a kitchenette and a spacious bathroom with large open walk-in shower. All rooms have a private deck with hammock, table, and chairs. All rooms are non-smoking and guests are requested to conserve water and electricity by turning off the a/c when not in the room and ensuring faucets aren't left dripping. Chris is happy to tell you how he has engineered the resort to ensure water is kept pure, is conserved, and waste water is treated properly and some of it used to irrigate the beautiful landscaping which Chris himself designed (having learned horticulture in his original home in the U.K.). The overall effect of the intricate and detailed design of the buildings, furnishings, and the landscaping make it feel as if you were living in a very comfortable tree-house! As I read the above it sounds like I'm writing a paid advertisement, but I assure you, I am a casual sport diver who manages only about one trip each year and am glad to have found Tranquilseas!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2011

All of the great things you hear about Tranquil Seas are true: the cabanas are charming, Chris and Monica are great, and the snorkeling out front is superb! We loved having the honor bar available and the bar/lounge area was a wonderful spot to spend the afternoons lounging in the sun. We also did a full day trip to Cayos Cochinos with TS and I have to say that if you plan just one activity while staying on Roatan, this should be it. In addition to having lunch at the Garifuna island, we also spent a couple of hours on a deserted island that was the picture of paradise. The water was so clear and the island was so beautiful, I had had to keep pinching myself to believe I was actually there.

A note on location: Tranquil Seas is just a 5 minute taxi ride from town. It's super easy to flag down a taxi and you should be able to negotiate a ride for 50 lemps for 2 people to get to West End. It's very quiet at Tranquil Seas and while we were there, we almost felt like we had to place to ourselves. This is just what we were looking for: a little out of the hustle and bustle of a main area, but not too isolated. We also found that the water clarity was excellent.

Overall, big thumbs up. This is a place we would (and hopefully will) come back to.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2011

There are so many positive reviews here, that it is tough to add anything new. Everything everyone says about this place is true, there are no exaggerations. Our main reason for traveling to Roatan was for the snorkeling. We snorkeled almost every day from Chris' boat dock. The snorkeling is excellent and the water was always very calm. It is very easy to enter and exit the water from the dock. We stayed in the Tree Frog Cabana. It is the highest Cabana and has the nicest view. It is also the most private of the five. The bed was very comfortable. If I could change anything, I would recommend a small chair inside so the table could be used as a desk.

We had a couple of special requests for dinner - Monica's famous Paella, and lobster tails on our last night. As long as Monica has advanced notice, she can accommodate most requests. We did two tours during our stay. The first a tour by land. Chris recommended the two locals Alan and Richard, who drove us all around the island. We had a great time, and I would recommend them to everyone. The 2nd was a private island snorkel boat tour that was provided by Chris. This was an all day tour that stopped at several places including two uninhabited islands. The snorkeling was the best we have seen anywhere. Chris is very knowledgeable about the Island and knows how to navigate the boat around the reef. He is also very knowledgeable about the names of the corals and fish. I would highly recommend this tour. It was the highlight of our trip - don't miss it.

A quick pitch for some other places that have good eats: Blue Bahia has some of the best smoked pork and ribs anywhere. Anthony's in West End has outstanding smoked chicken. Celeste's Island food in West Bay has really good food, and Lily Pond across from Half Moon Bay Resort has great food and a very romantic setting at night.

Just a warning about personal safety....crime is on the rise on Roatan. Tranquilseas does have safes in the cabanas, as well as dead bolt locks. USE THEM! Don't wander around off the beaten path at night or alone. Use common sense. Don't wear expensive jewelry.

Here is a link to my slideshow:

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LadyBug929
Reviewed 14 March 2011

Chris & Monika are such great hosts! The food was wonderful and atmosphere very laid back. This is the perfect spot for anyone who loves to dive and then kick back in a hammock and read a book in the afternoon.

I got my open-water certification through Tranquil Seas and the entire process was easy and enjoyable. Chris & Kent (the divemaster) set up everything and personalized it for me. If you are thinking about getting certified during a trip to Roatan I would highly recommend Tranquil Seas - I saw other dive boats with 12+ people on it - the entire time we were there it was Kent, my wife and I. I think the diving may have cost a little bit more (maybe $5 or $10) than some of the West End shops but it was definetely worth it to have the personalized service and to avoid the crowds.

If you are someone who likes to lay out and tan on a sandy beach all day, then I'd recommend West Bay - as the beach is nicer - but otherwise the whole vibe was so relaxed that you can't go wrong staying here and Chris & Monika will bend over backwards to make sure you you have a tailored vacation that best fits you.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple