“Wonderful retreat”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago
“Wonderful retreat”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Like summer camp for adults, with ~50 cabins on a small island overlooking the bay and harbor. A great place for divers, I'd call it rustic and relaxing, I wouldn't ask them to change anything. The staff is wonderful, food ok. Value is great. I read some of the reviews about the bugs, which I didn't find to be true, (this is an island in the tropics and the level of biting was no different from other islands i have been on, if you want to sit on a beach anywhere - expect some biting). it was the perfect escape from the Midwestern winter for me.

1 Thank ksmith142

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
sammer69
Reviewed 16 February 2012

we are snorkellers and found Anthonys a great place to see a great variety of fish- while all the divers were out on the water 3 times a day, we had the pool to ourselves and the kayaks were always available- felt like it was "our private place" a lot of the time! everyone we met had been to Anthonys at least twice, some were back for their 9th visit- that says a lot-
excellent food, staff- bring your own wine to dinner - get a room on the key and numbers 47-51 if you can- great for sunsets-

Room Tip: on the key- numbers 47-51 for sunsets- didnt need AC at all in February
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sammer69
Holland MI
Reviewed 14 February 2012

We stayed on the Island for 11 days and checked out alot of places. Friends of ours recommended Anthony Keys for the dinner buffet and show. We took our rental vehicle over there and they shuttled us over to the island on a little boat.
We sat on the row of picnic tables for a bit, then went over for a "happy hour drink special"
For $6 you get two coffee cup sized drinks with little alcohol. Dinner was ready. We went throught the line got 2 ribs, fish, potatoe, baked beans, 2 pc of flat bread and a GFS style brownie. The only thing edible to 3 of the 4 of us was the beans. Ribs were over boiled and full of grissle, fish had been reheated multiple times (it was too tough to chew), and the brownie was stale. It started raining which probably didn't help. We croewded under the hut where the food was served and watched a crab race and limbo. Neither which was entertaining except for watching a drunk guy that kept falling. He obviously didnt know the limbo rules because he kept on....
Save you $22 a person and go any where else. Of the 50 plus meals we ate, this was the worste!

5 Thank KurtVG1
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 8 February 2012

My husband and I dove (well he dove, but I snorkeled since I couldn’t clear my ears due to a cold) for a 2-tank dive while on a Western Caribbean Cruise. Top-notch outfit. Brand-new BCDs and good regulators available for rent. Awesome boats with shade and plenty of room. (We had 7 divers and 1 snorkeler). I ended up having to snorkel because I got a bad cold and couldn’t clear my ears. They accommodated me and let me snorkel alongside the boat.

Before the dive all divers got into the water and they checked for bouyancy and if anyone needed more weights. I almost wish all dive outfits would do this. There’s nothing worse than getting out there and discovering that you need more weights.

Surface interval was done on the shore, allowing us to get snacks and a Coke and then back on the boat.

My husband and I are thinking of going back and spending a week with Anthony’s Key Resort.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MsBoice
Maple Plain, Minnesota
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Wonderful trip. I just returned (1/28/12-2/4/12) and had a great experience. They exceeded my expectations. The fact that I’ve taken this much time to write this review demonstrates my satisfaction with Anthony’s Key Resort (AKR). They did a great job and I they’ve earned this review.

Dive Operations – this was by far the best dive operation I’ve experienced. It was clear from the beginning that everything they do has been from a divers perspective. It was amazing how well they are organized. First each diver receives their own locker in a secured room which is just steps away from your dive boat. This allowed us to not lug our equipment (and weights) back and forth, and you had access to the locker room for most of the day (locked at night). Dive Board – I thought this was a great idea. Each boat has a dedicated board that show the times of each dive for the day, and you just put your locker number in the column for which dive you want to go on (as many or few as you desire). There was usually a night dive available as well. They also have their own wreck site just off the dock which you can dive anytime you’d like. As I mentioned, when you arrive you are assigned to the same boat all week, which means you get to know your Captain (ours was Kenly), Dive Master (ours was Jeromie), and fellow divers well, and provided a sense of safety knowing the captain & dive master got to know you and your needs over the course of the week.

Dive sites – one of the best features of AKR is how amazingly close the dive sites are to the resort. Many other dive destinations I’ve been to, you load up for the day and don’t come back until all dives have been completed. At AKR, the boat returned after each dive which allowed divers to pick which and how many dives they wanted to participate. Many of the dive sites you almost could swim to from the Key. Most dives sites were 5-10 min boat ride. There are more dive sites than you can dive in a week. They also provide unlimited shore dives. They have a small dive shack on the key with tanks, just bring your gear over and you can dive just steps away from your cabin. This was a popular choice after the last dive of the day for those that didn’t get enough during the day.

Grounds - They did a great job of maintain their grounds. I heard from someone from another resort say that the owners of AKR really took pride in their grounds and they were constantly raking the sand, leaves, etc… They were also constantly planting new flowers/trees. In doing my research prior to the trip there was a lot of comments about sand fleas on the island. None of the other AKR guests we talked with from the resort had been bitten by the sand fleas. When we left the resort it was another story (not bad). When we met other travelers to Roatan, their legs were covered with bites. What I heard was that the raking of the sand & debris at AKR kept these critters away or buried, which we all appreciated. Also on the Key there was a pool in the middle with a bar which you could lounge after or instead of your dive and sip a cocktail. They provided towels at the pool which was nice.

Cabins – they are fairly basic (ours was #40) and consisted of 2 beds, sink, toilet, and shower, and A/C, no TV. All of the cabins on the key were waterfront, which was great. Frankly it was all we needed as we spent so little time in our room, too busy diving. What we really enjoyed the most was the attached covered deck with hammocks. The fact that they were covered allowed us to put our wet items out to dry out. We ended up laying in the hammocks every night and most nights fell asleep out there listening to the waves. We were in a Key Superior room which meant it had A/C which we liked. If I went back room #39 would be my choice as that was basically the same configuration but had an additional uncovered deck closer to the water if you wanted to lay in the sun.

Food & Drink – this is an all-inclusive resort which they provide a small breakfast menu to order from, then for lunch & dinner there were always a choice of 2 entrees. The food was surprisingly good, and the soups were excellent. The bar was located next to the dining area which meant you could grab a drink before/during/after dinner if you choose. The bar closed down at 10pm which was fine for most of us as we were tired from all the dives and didn’t want to ruin our next day’s dives.

Other amenities – it was great having a convenience store, photo shop, air chamber, health clinic, dive education center, gift shop, and Roatan Institute for Marine Science (RIMS) which ran the dolphin training center, dolphin shows and a small museum. These amenities made it possible to not have to leave the resort for anything.

Excursions – there were also a number of onsite and offsite coordinated act ivies offered, such as shark dives, dolphin encounter/snorkel/dives, zip line, etc… to provide some variety or activities for the non-divers.

Air Chamber – it was also nice to know that the island chamber was right next door, should you need it, but hopefully not.

All the staff were extremely accommodating & friendly. You didn't have to carry any $$ the whole week which was nice, everything was billed to your account, and only do tips at the end. Within a few days most staff knew your name and which cabin you were in to charge your extras back to.

The only suggestion I would have is better wifi. It was dependable and always available from the lobby/dining/bar area but when a number of people were all on (many doing Skype) it got bogged down. I think this has more to do with their telco and less to do with AKR. It would have been nice to also be able to get wifi on the Key in our rooms.

Thanks AKR for a wonderful trip!!

Room Tip: Key Superior cabin is worth having A/C. I would also request cabin #39 since it has the covered dec...
5 Thank RMcCabe69
6.7 km away
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
2.9 km away
Seagrape Plantation Resort

Been to Anthony's Key Resort? Share your experiences!